Your time is not free

Status
Not open for further replies.

o2batsea

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45C 2005
I see so many threads where the poster claims they only have a few bucks worth of materials in a project. I always calculate my own "shop hourly rate" into my projects to see whether I am actually saving money by doing some of these things myself. My personal rate is $90/hr.
My current wind powered pond aerator project is rapidly nearing the cost of the commercially available ones using this calc, but I'm in too deep to stop now so I will just go on and see it through.
It's an old habit and hard to break as the urge to do it myself is very strong. I am learning slowly that everything you bring home takes a little piece of your life away from you, whether it is a dozen eggs, a TV or a tractor. Spend your time wisely.

Zick

Platinum Member
Tractor
BX 2350
I consider it free especially if I enjoy doing it. It's my time, what does it matter if I don't charge myself for it?

teg

Tractor
s
I view what I build as a hobby... so I don't count any costs that is incurred :2cents:

I viewed adding hydraulics to my tractor as a $600 class that I learned a great deal in!!! (and money well spent!)

For vacations, I trade money for memories... Everything I spend, Adds to my life.

Now, where are those photos from the "wind powered pond aerator project"?

Last edited:

Craig Clayton

Platinum Member
Tractor
L2250 Kubota
Kenny Rogers has a line in the song the gambler, you have to know when to hold them , when to fold them , and when to run.
Craig Clayton

CowwFace

Gold Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45SE HST, 401FEL, RB40-96 pivoting Rear Blade
Pfff,

You guys are talking old school... I just follow the Federal Reserve and pay MYSELF... I have an uncashed check I wrote to myself for $90,000.00 on my desk now.. I'll let you know how it works when I get back from bank ...:cool:

Tractor on.

GT2

Gold Member
Tractor
Kubota L-35
I see so many threads where the poster claims they only have a few bucks worth of materials in a project. I always calculate my own "shop hourly rate" into my projects to see whether I am actually saving money by doing some of these things myself. My personal rate is $90/hr.

Your point is only valid if in fact you had real income generating work you could be doing instead.

LD1

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota MX5100
If I charged myself $90 per hour I would never do any projects, as using your logic, I would always be "spending" more than hiring the work done.

Case in point, the $300 50 hour service that kubota charges. I did mine myself and had ~150 in materials. Spent probabally 2 hours in the shop, drinking a few cold ones, and I had her done. I thought I saved money, man what a bummer to be $30 in the red:mad:

And I should probabally sell my mowers too, cause it takes me about 2 hours to mow my 2 acres. That $180. A commercial outfit with a ZTR could probabally do it in 1 hour and would charge less than that.

Same with doing the oil changes on my vehichles. I'm in no rush so it usually takes 45min-1 hour. Add the cost of oil and I am $100+ just in my oil changes.

Heck I dont know why I even built a shop. It cost me money to try to do anything myself. I do consider my time free. Because what else would I be doing??? Sitting on the couch watching TV???Posting on TBN???

I can maybe see figuring your time at something but $90 is a rediculuous figure. Does your employer think your time is worth that much??:D

/pine

Super Star Member

just curious where you come up with the $90 hourly rate?

granted...this is what you might pay a fabrication shop owner (with overhead) etc. but the actual fabricator that is working for the shop owner is likely seeing $20-$25/hour out of that $90...
...So the question is...what makes your fabrication time worth more than the $25/hr the fabricator that works for a shop?...do you also pay yourself $90/hr when you are out buying materials and supplies?

OP
o2batsea

o2batsea

Platinum Member
Tractor
Kioti DK45C 2005
Your point is only valid if in fact you had real income generating work you could be doing instead.

I don't agree with that of course, and it's not really based on money in the strictest sense anyway. It's more a way for me to figure out whether it is better to build or buy. The time I would not spend building would be spent on my wife and friends, pursuing other interests and probably napping. Napping trumps welding every time as far as I am concerned. So does boating.

let's say i see a piece of tractor equipment on Craigslist and I think, "hey that's super cheap for a (fill in the blank)" If I have to put in 8 or 10 hours cleaning it up, installing new parts and getting it to work, have I really saved any money? Well, sure I guess but it's likely still not worth more than what I paid and if I bought a new one I'd be out more cash for sure but at least the thing would work and if it didn't i could take it back or get it fixed under warranty. Plus it would have more resale value so if I sold it I wouldn't be out more than the cost of the piece of junk one I might have brought home.

Status
Not open for further replies.