Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #11  
Right now I'm paying between $1500 to $2000 a month
includes payment, fuel, oil and grease etc

willy
Holy Cripes Williy,

How much fuel are you using a month?

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #14  
The tractor and implements have been paid for years ago. I don't keep track of a year to year cost, but it would involve fuel, oil, hydraulic fluid, filters (air and oil and more), grease, batteries, replacing a few hydraulic hoses (due to owner back dragging errors), parts for repairs I have done myself, repairs I had done by others (weld a cracked FEL bracket, change front seals), and over time a few accessories (tractor canopy, new seat). I would not know where to start to amortize the costs over the years - since 2003 - but the tractor would have to cost me several thousands a year before I would get rid of it - too much needed, and too much enjoyment on the seat. A reasonable best guess would be maybe $600 - $800 a year (mostly fuel) and including amortized costs of repairs. But that is just a guess. I suppose I should keep track of these things.

Last edited:
   / Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #15  
I set my budget at what I could comfortably afford to purchase with cash. I look at it as a lump sum that i will not have to pay again. The occasional repair and routine maintenance are pocket change compared to the value of being able to maintain my acreage, plow snow, haul firewood, etc, etc. Plus the enjoyment I get out of exercising a capable piece of equipment that gives forth a pleasant diesel rumble!

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #16  
With CUT prices the way they are, in the used market, its pretty hard to know what the costs are till, you re-sell. :)

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #17  
Kubota sent out incentives on small tractors on financing and something about $700 off today via email.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #18  
The cost of owning my tractors is something that doesn't even cross my mind. I guess I am not the kind of guy who runs a balance sheet on everything I do. Life would be a drag if I did. I paid cash for my tractors, and am staying even overall on my finances. I would not be able to do what I love doing without my tractors, so from my perspective I don't worry really about what they cost.

Early in my life I had a Economics Instructor stress a simple rule of life to follow; If you cant afford to pay cash for your toys (including things like car), you can't afford them. The only exceptions to that might be for borrowing to buy items that make you more money than what the loan costs. (My tractors don't qualify) I have strictly followed that advice for the last 50 years and it has worked well. That discipline helps one keep a proper perspective on material items too. You don't really 'need' your toys. They are just nice to have if you can afford them. There were times when I was younger that advice prevented me from having all the 'fun' things that my friends did. But throughout my life it has enabled me to live without stressing about money.

/ Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #19  
The cost of owning my tractors is something that doesn't even cross my mind. I guess I am not the kind of guy who runs a balance sheet on everything I do. Life would be a drag if I did. I paid cash for my tractors, and am staying even overall on my finances. I would not be able to do what I love doing without my tractors, so from my perspective I don't worry really about what they cost.

Early in my life I had a Economics Instructor stress a simple rule of life to follow; If you cant afford to pay cash for your toys (including things like car), you can't afford them. The only exceptions to that might be for borrowing to buy items that make you more money than what the loan costs. (My tractors don't qualify) I have strictly followed that advice for the last 50 years and it has worked well. That discipline helps one keep a proper perspective on material items too. You don't really 'need' your toys. They are just nice to have if you can afford them. There were times when I was younger that advice prevented me from having all the 'fun' things that my friends did. But throughout my life it has enabled me to live without stressing about money.
Good advice and I would add that it’s not all about money, and the best things in life are free.

I am 57 years old and have been operating tractors, on our family farms, since about the time that I could walk. The first tractor I operated was the 1950 John Deere model M, which was the first tractor on my grandpa’s farm. That farm has been owned by our family since before the Civil War.

My dad still has that tractor, over at my other grandpa’s farm (on my mom’s side). That farm is about 18 miles from our place, which I purchased from grandma (on dad’s side) 22 years ago. That old M is parked in their barn and has not run in about 5 years. Dad is retired now but he used it over there, mostly in his big garden, up till then. It would probably start, if I poured some gas in it, and took over a 6 volt battery.

I would guess that grandpa paid about $ 900 for that tractor new in 1950. That is based on dad telling me that he had also looked at Fords, but they were way too expensive. Our well-to-do neighbor bought a new, 1951 Ford from the dealer in town and I have the bill of sale for that ($ 1,100 for the tractor alone). Grandpa bought his Deere from a dealer (2) towns away.

My own first tractor purchase was that Ford, which I bought from the widow of the original owner, along with all the other equipment it came with, in 1989, for $ 1200. It had 1100 hours on it then an now it has 2200. That neighbor had a big job at a factory in town and only used that tractor on his 1/2 acre garden.

I had to replace one of the back rims a year ago, which I paid $80 for, but it still has all the original, 1951 tires on it, and the original paint. I also replaced the distributor last year, and gave it a valve job a year after I bought it. Total parts expenses, over (30) years have been under $ 1000. It has always been stored inside, which keeps the rubber and paint in decent shape. I put a $27 seat cover in on this year.

It is one of (2) tractors that I still have (never sell your first if you don’t have to). I have had as many as (4) at a time on our 34 acre farm (my aunt next door owns the other (6) acres of the original 40). I paid cash for all of them, including the other one that I still have. That is a 2005, John Deere 4120, which I paid $ 17,000, new from a dealer about (10) towns away, on the far side of our county.

That was a special price, offered at the county fair that year. The tractor has never needed dealer service, but a Deere dealer is closest to my place and that is where I picked up all the filters over the years. It also needed a new starter in 2010. I bought an aftermarket one on-line for about $250 because the dealer wanted $400 for a Bosch oem replacement. I also replaced the battery twice (the last one cost me $ 140) and the front R1 tires (I think they were about $120 ea). That’s it for parts expenses.

I like having a gas and a diesel tractor, because there is often times, like right now, when gas is significantly cheaper than diesel. Diesel is usually significantly more efficient though.

D14AB817-7755-4F59-B5EF-98F1D86CED37.jpeg

7D9D1324-39E9-4F1E-8EC3-7BEE474797A2.jpeg

Penny pinching for sport is fun in this world, but my real treasure will be in the next, with my Savior JC.

Last edited:
   / Your Yearly Cost of Tractor Ownership #20  
I have a mile long gravel driveway, home, out buildings, vehicles, snow and 80 acres. All require some degree of maintenance. I find it much better to be able to do what I want to do and when I want/need to do it.

I do all my maintenance - home, property, vehicles, etc.

There are maintenance items and projects here on the property that there is nobody to hire. Either I do them or they will not get done.

All said - my tractor is one of the principle tool to do all these tasks.

One of my VERY LEAST concerns is annual cost to keep/operate my tractor. I've got much better and more important things to think about.