z515e 60" Briggs 24HP into Pond

/ z515e 60" Briggs 24HP into Pond #1  

saxon11

Bronze Member
Tractor
TYM T474
Hi all - just got new zero-turn, and have 2 hours on it. I got adventurous and I slid the back-end into my pond, where some of the engine got in water, but not completely. I pulled it out with tractor and drained oil right away. No water in it. Next I pulled spark plug and looked good and dry. Air filter is dry. Next i'm thinking of draining the gas. Is that fuel filter line the best way to do it? is that filter in-line hose right by the oil filter? Hopefully I can do the best I can to try and get it running again. Any suggestions help.

/ z515e 60" Briggs 24HP into Pond #2  
I'd do a compression check next. Good, continue onward. Bad, look into why it is bad.

/ z515e 60" Briggs 24HP into Pond #3  
Your fuel system is sealed sans the vent in the air box. Dry air filter, should be good to go. If you wish to drain, yes via the filter. Remember that it pulls fuel through the top via a tube in the tank. Your hydros are vented however. . .

/ z515e 60" Briggs 24HP into Pond
I did the following:
  • oil change and new filter
  • fuel drain and new filter
  • spark plugs pulled and checked

All looked good. When I attempt to start, I hear a click. I check the charge on the battery and is good. Any ideas on what to troubleshoot next? Sounds like starter/selenoid issue?

/ z515e 60" Briggs 24HP into Pond #5  
If not already, blow out all around starter and engine with air pressure gun and give a couple days to dry. Sorry to hear about the misfortune of the pond bath.

/ z515e 60" Briggs 24HP into Pond #6  
Just as a side note, did you remember to push the pto button down after it went into the pond. I can see that getting missed in the process of going into and recovering from the pond.

/ z515e 60" Briggs 24HP into Pond #7  
When you had the plugs out, did you crank the engine to make sure that the cylinders are not full of water ?

Richard