Z726 Smoking At Startup

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup #1  

jkblade

Tractor
kubota L4400
It has the Kawasaki FX651V engine, with less than 100 hrs on it, and after it sits a couple days it'll smoke terribly when you start it then it'll stop after a few minutes of running, any idea as to why it does that? It's white smoke so I know it's oil, I just don't know why or how to check to see what it is.

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup #2  
I believe white smoke usually indicates moisture. A little would probably indicate condensation from the air. A lot can be a leaky head gasket or even a cracked head. See if your coolant level is going down.

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup #3  
So it's an air cooled 2-cylinder twin with a vertical crankshaft and I take it you are talking about blue smoke at startup?

If so, oil is getting into the combustion chamber and couple of ways that can happen are: leaky valve stem seals, something wrong with the piston ring(s) or way too much oil?

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup #4  
What oil are you using and hours on the current oil?

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup
What oil are you using and hours on the current oil?
I'm pretty sure I used synthetic the last oil change but I'll have to check my records and the hours, the mower is in Florida and I'm back in Kentucky so it might be a couple weeks. Thanks

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup #6  
My FS691V will puff a bit of smoke once and a while when started but the Kawasaki is known for that. I did find out recently that Kawasaki has changed their recommended oil weight to 20W-50 for better heat management and less oil usage, especially in the warmer climates. In your case that may not be the remedy as others have noted.

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup #7  
It has the Kawasaki FX651V engine, with less than 100 hrs on it, and after it sits a couple days it'll smoke terribly when you start it then it'll stop after a few minutes of running, any idea as to why it does that? It's white smoke so I know it's oil, I just don't know why or how to check to see what it is.
My Z724 has been doing that since new in 2015. I have a Koehler 24 hp. Doesn't use a drop of oil all season.

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup #8  
Blue puff of smoke at startup - I wonder what is it puffing if not oil?

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup #9  
Way Back when Ford 4610s were New, we sold one to a Gentleman Farmer. He used it Lightly, came back @ 25 hrs, smoke on start up and black oil dripping down the block from the exhaust manifold.

I ran it on the Dyno for 1/2 hour, to break it in more. Sent it home without oil running down the block.

He pulled a rake for another 25 hours and brought it back for the same issue, Smoke Start up, and oil down the Block.

Back on the Dyno for 1/2 hour, this time I opened the Air Filter and added a handful of dusty dirt while it was at max hp.

Never had the issue after doing that.

Valves were not Broke In, Valve Seals would leak by and fill the combustion chamber while sitting, start up would burn that oil off.

Run it Hard, Break it In!

/ Z726 Smoking At Startup
I had it at the dealer for another issue and asked them to check it while they had it, he said it had too much oil in it. I've been working on engines for 50 years and I service everything I own, never had that issue before so I have no idea how it happened, or if it did. We'll see....