Zerks and tears

/ Zerks and tears
I work on a lot of older forestry equipment and bucket trucks. It is common place to find a few neglected grease fittings. I've tried the hammer type grease busters
and the lock on grease tips. What I've found that works for me is to use a good quality hose on the end of your gun with a working pressure of 6-8000Lbs or more.
When I run into a fitting that won't take grease, even when holding it on the zerk, I take the zerk off and put on a new one. If that doesn't work I take off the hose
on the end of the gun and put on a hose that i blew out most all of the grease and fill it up with PB Blaster. I put the hose back on the gun and squirt it in. It may
take 2 or 3 shots of this to loosen up the old grease. I then move whatever the fitting is trying to grease up and down or rotate a few time in both directions and
then grease it. Had best luck doing it this way. The worst one I ever had, I had to heat up the joint and put the PB Blaster to it 3 or 4 times before it would take
grease, but it did. Like I say, this works for me.
Sorry, what is pb blaster?

I just looked. A penetrant solution How did you get the penetrant in?

Last edited:
   / Zerks and tears #42  
Grease caps

Use these to keep dirt out of grease fittings and allow you to use your grease gun.

/ Zerks and tears #43  
I’m tired of grease zerks not accepting grease. I have a can am max xt and I’m in tears trying to get at the zerks only to find they don’t accept grease. And this goes for all equipment. It’s a pet peeve of mine.
I had some clogged zerks on a new bx2380. I pushed the ball on the end of the zerk in to free it up, worked fine after that.

/ Zerks and tears #45  
I’m tired of grease zerks not accepting grease. I have a can am max xt and I’m in tears trying to get at the zerks only to find they don’t accept grease. And this goes for all equipment. It’s a pet peeve of mine.
Hello VroomVroom and all...

I feel your pain. I have fought this for years until I bought three things:
1) A LockNLube end for my grease gun (short version about $30). Holds up to 10,000 lbs of pressure and will NOT come off. Easy on, Easy off. Puts grease where I was NEVER able to get it in before. Best investment I ever made. They make short and long version of the end as dwell as a 90 degree adaptor should you need them. There are clones out there BUT this is the Original... Amazon.com: LockNLube Grease Gun Coupler locks onto Zerk fittings. Grease goes in, not on the machine. World's best-selling original locking grease coupler. Rated 10,000 PSI. Long-lasting rebuildable tool. : Automotive

2) I bought a Ryobi battery grease gun from Home Depot (about $139 and $10 more with battery) and replaced the end with the LockNLube I purchased. The grease gun can develop 10,000 lbs of pressure. A totally EXCELLENT combination.
RYOBI ONE+ 18V Grease Gun (Tool-Only)-P3410 - The Home Depot

3) I also bought a Grease Joint Rejuvenator Master Kit (about $60) which is a kit to "unplug" plugged zerk fittings. BUT... I've never had to use it after using the LockNLube and my battery powered grease gun. Does not require anything but the kit, a little oil and a hammer.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000GTHHNS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Honestly the LockNLube and the grease gun as one of the best purchases I have made. I lube ALL my equipment.

Hope this helps!

/ Zerks and tears #46  
I have a lock n lube and Milwaukee m18 grease gun-works very well. Used to have a pneumatic grease gun but always had to be near the garage compressor to use it.

/ Zerks and tears #47  
Sometimes on a dozer or trac hoe I'll just keep wet with spray for a few days and then use one of them hammer things on it. Dig as much of the hard stuff out that I can. Just because it takes grease and you see some come out dont mean it's greased. It needs greasing several times a day for several days to soften up the hard grease. When grease comes out all around the pin it's good. Dozers can be bad if neglected. I was at a farm and it was squeak city. He called today wanting me to weld on his Bush Hog a little. I told him when I bring it back I'm greasing all them tractors. He just smiled and said do it.

/ Zerks and tears #48  
Hello VroomVroom and all...

I feel your pain. I have fought this for years until I bought three things:
1) A LockNLube end for my grease gun (short version about $30). Holds up to 10,000 lbs of pressure and will NOT come off. Easy on, Easy off. Puts grease where I was NEVER able to get it in before. Best investment I ever made. They make short and long version of the end as dwell as a 90 degree adaptor should you need them. There are clones out there BUT this is the Original... Amazon.com: LockNLube Grease Gun Coupler locks onto Zerk fittings. Grease goes in, not on the machine. World's best-selling original locking grease coupler. Rated 10,000 PSI. Long-lasting rebuildable tool. : Automotive

2) I bought a Ryobi battery grease gun from Home Depot (about $139 and $10 more with battery) and replaced the end with the LockNLube I purchased. The grease gun can develop 10,000 lbs of pressure. A totally EXCELLENT combination.
RYOBI ONE+ 18V Grease Gun (Tool-Only)-P3410 - The Home Depot

3) I also bought a Grease Joint Rejuvenator Master Kit (about $60) which is a kit to "unplug" plugged zerk fittings. BUT... I've never had to use it after using the LockNLube and my battery powered grease gun. Does not require anything but the kit, a little oil and a hammer.
Amazon.com: Innovative Products of America 7863 Grease Joint Rejuvenator Master Kit: Home Improvement

Honestly the LockNLube and the grease gun as one of the best purchases I have made. I lube ALL my equipment.

Hope this helps!
Wear leather gloves with that battery grease gun. Keep it clean too. If that grease hose gets a pin hole and the grease gets inside your skin you will be in for a nasty ride. Leather good gloves will protect you. I've seen people get grease shot in their hand and the Dr was trying to save their arm. Just because it has batteries it ain't Fisher Price and them ain't toys.

/ Zerks and tears #49  
I use the cleaning tool. You hit it with a hammer and it breaks the old grease loose. Never failed for me.

/ Zerks and tears #50  
Get an electric grease gun, you won’t regret it. I’ve never had a zerk that wouldn’t take grease, I must be lucky. My pet peeve was getting a new cartridge started on a manual grease gun.
Trick is to unscrew the canister a bit (making sure it ain't going to pop everything all over the place!), run the rod in and then screw the canister all the way in/tight. No more air locks.