Zerks and tears

/ Zerks and tears #1  

VroomVroom

Veteran Member
Tractor
Mahindra 2816 HST, Super M farmall, J5 bombardier, 230 timber jack skidder
I’m tired of grease zerks not accepting grease. I have a can am max xt and I’m in tears trying to get at the zerks only to find they don’t accept grease. And this goes for all equipment. It’s a pet peeve of mine.

/ Zerks and tears #2  
I’m tired of grease zerks not accepting grease. I have a can am max xt and I’m in tears trying to get at the zerks only to find they don’t accept grease. And this goes for all equipment. It’s a pet peeve of mine.

I feel your pain.

When I get a zerk that won’t work I replace with new zerk. They are pretty cheap.

I also read higher quality grease won’t harden as much - and that is the main factor why a zerk won’t take new grease.

Plus - the more often you grease the less likely the zerk won’t take the grease.

MoKelly

/ Zerks and tears
Yes. New bike. First time greasing it. Once I got grease through some I ensured grease will flow next time. And yes. If I can’ get the grease in them now. I’ll be greasing it pretty often. I’m pissed

/ Zerks and tears #4  
Had it happen to me more than once so purchase extra zerks.

/ Zerks and tears #6  
Cheap grease is in reality nothing but clay.
Under heat clay dries and goes hard.
Either grease daily (keeps the zerk open) or upgrade to a synthetic grease.
The clay based greases are in all practical purposes very effective but in this day and age there is much better.

LOL, I was 'once gifted' an electric grease gun, well I needed a drill to clean it out as the clay based grease was so hard. (must have been stored over the hot water tank) On the plus side I now own a nice powered grease gun for mere cents (plus labor).

/ Zerks and tears
I’ll have to look at the grease us used today. It’s white motor master grease. I got most of them after hours long battle. But still have the universals go do. How much grease you put in those? I lose so much around zerk it’s hard to know if any is getting in. I was awful tempted to buy electric grease gun today. See how greasing goes next time first.

/ Zerks and tears #8  
Some times you have to hold your grease gun on the zerk
or you don't get any grease in side the zerk! Some zerk's
work just fine others are a like a case of hemorrhoids which
you can do very nicely without! Make sure you get the grease
without the clay it will save you time and grief! I believe the
synthetic is the better grease!

willy

/ Zerks and tears #9  
Hmm, I don't think I've had to replace a zerk on my equipment for 30 years. I have a big supply of zerks just in case too.

/ Zerks and tears
Yeah when I did randomly see grease starting to come out the end of the bushings. I pumped snd pumped. Hopefully I’ll try again in the near future. I’m hoping it was old grease that stiffened. Don’t seem like manufacturers or dealers put much grease into anything and sometimes the models are a year or two from being built. So hope a good flush of grease will make it easier.