Zero Turn Mower

/ Zero Turn Mower #1  

Nissan197

Platinum Member
Tractor
Mahindra 3215 4WD
I am looking to purchase a zero turn mower and am curious if anyone has experience with the following brands: Hustler and Husqvarna? I will be mowing around 3 to 5 acres, which is flat. The Hustler model is the Raptor SD which is new for this year. It is priced at $4600 for a 60 inch cut. The Husqvarna is either a MZ6128 or an MZ5225. Those are a little higher in price. I like the price on the Hustler, but want to make sure I am getting a mower that will last for many years. Thank you.

/ Zero Turn Mower #2  
Both make great commercial mowers and high end homeowner mowers. I like the hustler a lot. For a residential mower, it has pretty sturdy hydros.
That said, at this time of the year, I'd look on Craigslist and ebay auctions near you. Someone was selling a snapper pro 125 near me with 50 hours for 4000 a little while ago. You may find a super low hour commercial mower like that snapper still under warranty if you get lucky. That would last a lifetime if you service it periodically.

/ Zero Turn Mower #3  
I am looking to purchase a zero turn mower and am curious if anyone has experience with the following brands: Hustler and Husqvarna? I will be mowing around 3 to 5 acres, which is flat. The Hustler model is the Raptor SD which is new for this year. It is priced at $4600 for a 60 inch cut. The Husqvarna is either a MZ6128 or an MZ5225. Those are a little higher in price. I like the price on the Hustler, but want to make sure I am getting a mower that will last for many years. Thank you.

I don't know about the Raptor SD model you mentioned,but for that price i would think it is a homeowner model ,not a commercial mower.Most true commercial grade Hustler,Scag,or Exmark mowers in the 60" range will be much higher priced(new in the 8000 range or higher). While the homeowner grades are good mowers,they are just not built like the commercial mowers.You might find a used commercial mower with 500 or less hours close to the 5000 range close to your area,which would probably last much longer than the homeowner grade mowers. Just something to consider.

/ Zero Turn Mower #4  
That snapper I saw was one of their commercial mowers. If I'd had room here I might have picked it up just because it was such a good deal and we will want one eventually. There is snow on the ground even here in NC so prices on cl are sometimes really low as few people are looking.

/ Zero Turn Mower #5  
Given that the price difference is $400 for the MZ6128 and only $100 for the MZ5225, I'd say you've already made up your mind. However, keep in mind that the Kawasaki in the Raptor SD is still a residential engine, hence the "R" designation. Also, its hydros are not as heavy as the ones in either MZ, which also gives the MZs a little better ground speed. Deck construction and spindles are a wash, except that the MZs' spindles are greaseable. Don't know if that's a concern for you. The MZs have a little higher curb weight which might indicate a little more stout construction. MZs have bigger rear tires which could give it a slightly better ride, and hold more fuel. Warranties are both 3 year. It's tough to have a true apples to apples comparison. To get the ZT3100s, you have to step up to the FasTrak. However, that also gives you a better series of engine, but still has smaller tires than the MZs. It probably really comes down to which dealer you feel fits better. In my case, I don't have a Hustler dealer I respect within a reasonable distance, so I'd give the MZ the nod. Go butt fit every machine you're interested in multiple times. When I did that, one dealer clearly tipped the scales in favor of their machine.

/ Zero Turn Mower #6  
If I were buying a ZTR mower, I would spend the extra couple thousand and get at least a low end commercial grade mower. They have better hydrostatic drive units, better engines and usually heavier components. Last summer I bought a Ferris IS 700 with the Kawasaki 691FS engine. It is one grade below the commercial (FX) engine but much better than homeowner models. I am really happy with my purchase and the coil spring/shock 4 wheel suspension really smooths out the bumps. It listed for $5800 so about 30% more than the homeowner versions that you are pricing, but I think it is much more mower.
Check out the models that you are considering and just see if the hydro pumps have oil drain and change capability (look at the owners manual for service requirement on the HST, if none then it is throwaway design). The service requirement is usually a sign that they have something other than throw away transaxles. Also look under the seat and see if they have cooling fans on the HST drive motors, another indication of heavy duty design. I can step up on my FERRIS mower deck to mount the mower and it does not move unlike my homeowner grade Craftsman that kicks down to the anti-scalp wheels if stepped on. MY Ferris weighs a hefty 850 pounds compared to the Craftsman 400 pounds or so (easily picked up and put on my trailer by two young men). Check them out before making your final decision. Simplicity is the same as Ferris as Ferris is a subsidiary of Simplicity.

/ Zero Turn Mower
Thank you everyone for the responses. Lots of great info.

/ Zero Turn Mower #8  
If I were buying a ZTR mower, I would spend the extra couple thousand and get at least a low end commercial grade mower. They have better hydrostatic drive units, better engines and usually heavier components. Last summer I bought a Ferris IS 700 with the Kawasaki 691FS engine. It is one grade below the commercial (FX) engine but much better than homeowner models. I am really happy with my purchase and the coil spring/shock 4 wheel suspension really smooths out the bumps. It listed for $5800 so about 30% more than the homeowner versions that you are pricing, but I think it is much more mower.
Check out the models that you are considering and just see if the hydro pumps have oil drain and change capability (look at the owners manual for service requirement on the HST, if none then it is throwaway design). The service requirement is usually a sign that they have something other than throw away transaxles. Also look under the seat and see if they have cooling fans on the HST drive motors, another indication of heavy duty design. I can step up on my FERRIS mower deck to mount the mower and it does not move unlike my homeowner grade Craftsman that kicks down to the anti-scalp wheels if stepped on. MY Ferris weighs a hefty 850 pounds compared to the Craftsman 400 pounds or so (easily picked up and put on my trailer by two young men). Check them out before making your final decision. Simplicity is the same as Ferris as Ferris is a subsidiary of Simplicity.

Gary, how long have you had the Ferris? I have been considering one along with a Husqvarna MZT-52. For someone mowing 2 hours or less week do you think it is worth it to spend an extra $1,000?

/ Zero Turn Mower
I went with the Hustler Raptor SD. Once I get a few hours on it I will let everyone know what I think of it.

/ Zero Turn Mower #10  
I went with the Hustler Raptor SD. Once I get a few hours on it I will let everyone know what I think of it.

I looked at those, like how they looked and handled. Bad thing for me was no dealers very close by. I went with a Husqvarna MZT 52 for $4850, we will see how it does, picked it up one day and the next day we had the biggest snow of the season. I jokingly asked the dealer if I could trade it back in for a snow blower.