zero-turn question(s)

/ zero-turn question(s) #1  

RollingsFarms

Veteran Member
Tractor
Few John Deere's and one Ford 3600 diesel.
been thinking it's time to step up to a commercial grade z-turn mower here pretty soon. something with a 48"-54" deck. needs to fit on a 5x10 trailer. are there any commercial type z-turns out there(new preferrably) i can get for around 5-7k, maybe 8k? closest dealers to me are exmark, hustler, deere and kubota isn't too far but would be the furthest of the bunch. looked on the websites but don't see much as far as prices go.

/ zero-turn question(s) #2  
How about that new Cub Cadet? 48" or 60"; Z-Force® S 60 Zero Turn Rider. Looks like it'll run about $5K. I like the idea that it uses a steering wheel instead of the paddles. Much easier for me, but perhaps not a pro grass cutter.

Jim

/ zero-turn question(s) #3  
I have a Cub Cadet i1050 which is technically a residential unit. I own a 17 acre property with probably about 3 acres of grass. Here is my opinion:

- The mower cuts nice.
- Nice ride.
- Like the 'normal' lawn tractor feel.
- Love the Zero-Turn.
- No engine, deck issues.
- Had one hyrdo unit replaced under warranty.
- Warranty was not too speedy but was winter time.
- Enough power.
- Fuel consumption is about 3 hours per tank.
- Deck wash system - useless and injects water into spindles, etc.
- Deck easy to take off and clean.
- Not rated for towing much more than aerator, wagon, sprayer.
- No PTO or 3pt hitch.
- Great angle mowing.

Basically, I love mowing with this tractor. I will miss it if I won't be able to replace it with a similar zero-turn. I hate the tank type mowers.

Hard core commercial mowing may be too much for this tractor.

Any other questions...just ask.

/ zero-turn question(s) #4  
you should be able to find something in that price range.....smaller deck usually = big price drop....

don't over-look the ferris...i'm biased but the suspension is great (means a lot after several hours of butt in the seat time)...

their website had some good looking financing deals right now...i saw 1.9 for 5 years....if i read it right....

/ zero-turn question(s) #5  
I can't say about the price, but my friend has a Kubota KD28 with 72" deck. It has 800 hours. It has been run hard and neglected, yet it still performs Great!

/ zero-turn question(s) #6  
How about that new Cub Cadet? 48" or 60"; Z-Force® S 60 Zero Turn Rider. Looks like it'll run about $5K. I like the idea that it uses a steering wheel instead of the paddles. Much easier for me, but perhaps not a pro grass cutter.

Jim
The steering wheel is great...makes the learning curve a lot shorter.

/ zero-turn question(s) #7  
hi i own 1 hustler super z and a scag wildcat , bothe great mowers, i tried the new exmark wanting to start buying local and they are great unless your are cutting very steap slopes like we have in the mountains, they will not stick like a scag or hustler, i dont care what they tell you, i sold some equipment to buy these and my guys ended up with string trimmers on places they usually mowed when they used the demo. other than thats there awsome as well

/ zero-turn question(s) #8  
I hate Zero Turn Mowers, My mom has one at her place and makes me use it when I mow her lawn for her. I think they are death traps if you are not familar with zero turn mowers.

Hers is a cub cadet and im not shure of the model but she gave about 3k for it total. I cant tow any thing with it since it has no tow hitch.
It also has trouble turning especially on inclines like the ditch next to the road. I never had trouble like that with the tractor types. You just put them in gear and GOO.

As for the zero turn bit saving time, it allways makes skid marks on the lawn so i just go past the turning spot and make a bigger circle. Same as with a tractor type.
A good residential tractor type will run you 1500 to about 3k for the top end.
I think we can save more time mowing by using edging on our lawns around obstacles like houses and trees and such. Just my 2 cents worth ya all

/ zero-turn question(s) #9  
I hate Zero Turn Mowers, My mom has one at her place and makes me use it when I mow her lawn for her. I think they are death traps if you are not familar with zero turn mowers.

Hers is a cub cadet and im not shure of the model but she gave about 3k for it total. I cant tow any thing with it since it has no tow hitch.
It also has trouble turning especially on inclines like the ditch next to the road. I never had trouble like that with the tractor types. You just put them in gear and GOO.

As for the zero turn bit saving time, it allways makes skid marks on the lawn so i just go past the turning spot and make a bigger circle. Same as with a tractor type.
A good residential tractor type will run you 1500 to about 3k for the top end.
I think we can save more time mowing by using edging on our lawns around obstacles like houses and trees and such. Just my 2 cents worth ya all

If you are getting skid marks during the turn, then you are reversing the inside wheel - try to cause the wheel to stop or slightly turn forward and you wont scalp the grass...

/ zero-turn question(s) #10  
I don't know anything about the consumer zero's but my 737 will mow circles around any tractor type mower.

Its not going so fast that its scaring you and causing skid marks during the turns is it?:laughing: