zeroturn dies when brake taken off

/ zeroturn dies when brake taken off #1  

nancyk

Silver Member
Tractor
Deere 5055e 2015, Ferris IS2000z 2007
My Ferris IS2000, is getting ready to go in for oil change et al. I went out to start it up and it dies when the brake is taken off. This happened three times in a row. I called the local farmers co-op who will be doing the work, they said the kill switch is probably bad and when they come out to pick it up they will bring a new switch, if they have one. Any chance it could be anything else? Never had this happen before.

/ zeroturn dies when brake taken off #2  
I don’t have a Ferris, but my zero turn will die when brake is released if:

- blades are engaged

- levers are not in the neutral position

I’m assuming you’ve checked these items but maybe have a look.

/ zeroturn dies when brake taken off
Yes, I have. But will doublecheck and pull up and put back down the blade engage. Sometimes being off a tad will mess things up.

Nope, same. Neighbor stopped by, took off the kill switch and cleaned/blew it out. Put it back in place, all worked well. Turned the machine off to get ready to blow leaves, came back and back to square one. We'll see if a new switch solves the problem long-term.

Last edited:
I need to find the seat switch, since I know where the parking brake switch is.

/ zeroturn dies when brake taken off #6  
Replace them all. They can't be that expensive and when one fails I'd bet the others aren't far behind.

/ zeroturn dies when brake taken off #7  
+1 Seat switch. Ours dies if leaving seat without brake set

/ zeroturn dies when brake taken off #8  
+2 seat switch
I have a cub cadet, and I think there is also an inline wiring fuse in there somewhere under the seat - I haven't had a recent check though

I'm most impressed that yours has a KILL SWITCH :) - I still need to add that, and a block heater to my tractor

"Replace them all" I will speak w/the co-op and price them.
"Seat switch. Ours dies if leaving seat without brake set". Interestingly enough, when first running, the machine will die if you get off the seat without setting the brake. After the machine has been running for a while, I can get off the seat without setting the brake, (I only do this if the land is perfectly flat and only for a few seconds).
Saturday I went out to look for the seat switch, looks above my pay grade to fiddle with. Decided to start the machine, it ran well, then slowly released the brake and it did not die. I blew leaves for half an hour, never getting off the machine. So. I dislike getting Ferris parts through the co-op, they charge full retail, they will not do after-market. A belt broke a few years ago, the co-op wanted over $100 for the belt. I called the NAPA store and he got me a comparable one, with Teflon, for less than $60.

/ zeroturn dies when brake taken off #10  
If you're paying for labor to repair your mower, I would think that would be as much or more than the parts.