Zetor 5211 How to tell if drum or disk brakes

/ Zetor 5211 How to tell if drum or disk brakes #1  

Curtis861

I have a 91 Zetor 5211 and the brake pedal goes to the floor. I would like to replace the master cylinders and wheel cylinders. I understand that some have disk and some have drum brakes. Before I tear into it, how can I tell if it is equipted with drum or disk brakes? Thanks.

Curtis861

/ Zetor 5211 How to tell if drum or disk brakes #2  
I have a 91 Zetor 5211 and the brake pedal goes to the floor. I would like to replace the master cylinders and wheel cylinders. I understand that some have disk and some have drum brakes. Before I tear into it, how can I tell if it is equipped with drum or disk brakes? Thanks.

Curtis861

Drum brakes are usually located inside the rim area of the rear wheel.
Disk brakes (like cars) can be wet (located inside the trans housing) or dry.

/ Zetor 5211 How to tell if drum or disk brakes #3  
Master cylinders and wheel cylinders are easily rebuildable if they are not pitted from rust.
You can buy generic cups for them at NAPA and a small hone too. Some Brake Klean and you will be good to go.

/ Zetor 5211 How to tell if drum or disk brakes #4  
I would talk with Mark Harper look him up at Diesel Doctor of Russelleville, Kentucky. He can match you up to parts and how to get it fixed. Most of the time its just the master cylinder and theyre easy and fairly cheap to replace.

/ Zetor 5211 How to tell if drum or disk brakes
With some research I found out that I have drum brakes. To replace the brake shoes the 300 pound hub assembly must be removed...therefore I had to buy an engine hoist. Then the steel brake line twisted off on both sides at the wheel cylinder. The left side brake shoe bracket was seized onto the axle shaft and I had to weld up a heavy duty puller to separate them. Then the pivot pins in the left side shoes were seized and I had to press them out while apply heat with an oxygen/acetelyne torch. One of the bearings in the hub assembly is bad and the right side hub assembly needs to be taken further apart to replace the seals (leaking gear lube.) Just the two brake master cylinders, wheel cylinders and brake pads is nearly $500. Plus I need the steel brakes lines that broke, bearing, multiple seals and several bolts. This little brake job has turned out to be quite a chore.

/ Zetor 5211 How to tell if drum or disk brakes #6  
I have done brakes on a 5211--When you get it all assembled and start to bleed the wheel cylinders----stick a small rubber hose about 12" long on the end of the bleeder valve before you crack it open---run the hose out of the brake shoe chamber or you'll dump all the fluid you bleed off on to your new brake shoes---been there---found out the hard way. The service brake shoes are on the inside of the drum and the parking brake bands run on the outside.

/ Zetor 5211 How to tell if drum or disk brakes #7  
I did not k-now that!