ZForce Tire Woes

/ ZForce Tire Woes #1  

Florida_Farmer

Bronze Member
Tractor
841 Powermaster, TC33D, TC40 DA, Yanmar 1500, Yanmar 2210B, Scag Turf Tiger, Exmark 72" Lazer Z
I've got a 2004 ZForce mower - this year I replaced the front tires with never flats and had tubes on the back tires - thinking I'm good but ran over a broken bottle mowing and a I'm rewarded with a flat back tire. Tire size is 18x9.5-8. The old tire is dry-rotted and I was too tired to wrestle with an inner tube so off to Tractor Supply to buy a new 18" rear wheel and tire for 70 bucks. Part# 634-04128.
Brought it home, bolted it on and off to mow. 5 minutes later that tire blows out. Turns out the offset on the rim is different so the tire is catching the frame I guess when bouncing over bumps and flexing out. Also damaged my right side brake cable beyond repair.
I get on the phone with MTD to let them know the label on the tire says it fits all the Zero Turn Mowers but after giving her my serial number - she confirms my wheel is different and that also my wheel is showing as no longer available. I said I was taking the tire back to Tractor Supply but needed a new brake cable from them and also for them to change their product label so the next guy like me doesn't have the same problem. They sent me a new brake cable at no-charge and said to call back if I have any issue returning the wheel to Tractor Supply. The cable shipped the same day.
While I was not happy about the damage, I was glad to talk to a nice lady who spoke perfect English from Ohio - not some call center offshore who was ready and able to do the best she could to make things right.
Moral to the story is be careful with rim offset - not all are the same and it's great to see there is some good customer service left.

Also - called my local mower repair guy to check if he had a tube - mower was a few acres away and I wanted to get it back inside - he said pull a tire off your golf cart and drive it home. it worked!