2014 chevy cruz diesel

/ 2014 chevy cruz diesel #91  
Any updates x ?

Rgds, D.

/ 2014 chevy cruz diesel #92  
Gas Direct injection is fine if the proper oil is sued and changed when required. Doesn't help with Granny Driving where they are never warmed up and reved up.
Small diesels in the light duty market only exist because most of the world places a luxury tax on gasoline making it 15% to 60% percent more expensive than gasoline . Saving $40+ per fill up of a small vehicle on Diesel vs gasoline makes an artificial light diesel market exist.
Diesel engines by design are intended to operate at full rated power and at full rated rpms for many hours at a time . Spark ignition engines are more suited to putting around , start, stop, part throttle operation.
The light duty diesel got a foothold in North America with pickups. Not much choice between a gutless emission fuel hog carburated gasser with a non lockup automatic vs a non emissions P pump turbo diesel with a 5 or 6 speed . With diesel costing 20% to 30% less than gasoline.
Now lets get out of the 1960's-early 2000's. Last time I looked it was 2019 and Diesels are complex and expensive with Tier IV emissions .
Just waiting now for some dolt to say that a diesel vehicle is better in 2019 because his Dad's diesel 4020 burned less fuel than the neighbour's gas 4020.

/ 2014 chevy cruz diesel #93  
Any updates x ?

Rgds, D.
Sorry life got in the way. We were busy all year. On August 9th i was diagnosed with squamous cell carcinoma under my tounge pet and ct reviled that it was stage 4 also in lymph nodes. On august 21st i went under the knife and had half my tounge removed as well as 76 lymp nodes from my neck the. The surgery was 16 hours long. I spent a total of 11 days in the hospital Results showed the cancer was only in 3 of the lymph nodes. I finished chemo and 30 sessions of radiation on nov 7. I've just started trying to eat food again its all mushy i can't swallow solid food as of yet it gets stuck on my tongue and wont go down my throat. Ive got a pet scan scheduled for FEBRUARY 1st praying that goes well.
Drs do not know what caused it i have no family history of cancer and ive never used any type of tobacco and drink very little alchohol. The hardest part is that i have a 9 year old daughter. My wife was truly a blessing as i recovered from the surgery

I do have a few pictures of the timing belt change its actually pretty easy. As long as you know that you need to re install one of the bolts for the engine mount to use as a pry location to tension the timing belt. I got wrapped up and failed to take all the pictures that i should have

As for the 2018 cruze ive got 20,000 miles on it now we averaged 50 mpg round trip to NC from Michigan over the summer. It gets 55mpg at 75 -80 mph and i average 45 mpg on my normal use around the house to and from work and city use in the summer and 41 mpg winter with winter blend and Michelin xice snows

/ 2014 chevy cruz diesel #95  
x - congratulations on transiting the heavy surgery and treatment ! :thumbsup:

Hopefully, you'll be back focusing entirely on "important" ;) stuff like engines, oils, truck brands, and tractors very soon.

Best Wishes for the Feb 1 scan; know that you have lots of people on here tractor-pulling some luck your way.

All those mpg's are impressive, but esp. the Winter one. X-ice are lower rolling resistance snows than ancient designs, but still, 41mpg in Winter is impressive, even if mostly highway. That T belt doesn't sound too bad at all then..... I was interested as I know some eras of VW diesel are "challenging" to change.

Keep us posted how you are doing.

Rgds, Dave.

/ 2014 chevy cruz diesel #96  
x - congratulations on transiting the heavy surgery and treatment !

Hopefully, you'll be back focusing entirely on "important" ;) stuff like engines, oils, truck brands, and tractors very soon.

Best Wishes for the Feb 1 scan; know that you have lots of people on here tractor-pulling some luck your way.

All those mpg's are impressive, but esp. the Winter one. X-ice are lower rolling resistance snows than ancient designs, but still, 41mpg in Winter is impressive, even if mostly highway. That T belt doesn't sound too bad at all then..... I was interested as I know some eras of VW diesel are "challenging" to change.

Keep us posted how you are doing.

Rgds, Dave.
Thanks,
Dave the timing belt required about $350 in specialized tools. The for the crank holder and cam holder were common with VW those were cheap but the tool to torque up and set the cam gear was the expensive one that i had to order the factory J-tool no after market existed. The air box pops right out no fasteners i supported the engine on the cradle with a 2x4 perfect fit and there is a ton of room to work. Most every thing used a deep well socket with tons of room. Unlike doing a accessory belt tensioner on my old Sl and SC saturns that had barely any room to work on. The injection pump gear is held with just to m8 or m6 bolts. The most annoying thing is having to pull the wheel house liner and waiting forever for the antifreeze to drain. That will be step one next time

Im definitely counting on the pet scan coming back clean. Im looking forward to getting the 4 teeth they pulled to do the surgery put back in.

/ 2014 chevy cruz diesel #97  
That doesn't sound too bad x......nobody wants to buy specialty tools (at least that's what we tell the CFO ;) ) but at today's shop costs, that's not a hard call for something you're going to drive for a while.....

Access sounds good for that work..... I've seen some cars needing most of the front clip taken apart to access the Tbelt.....

Best Wishes for the 1'st.

Rgds, D.