TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions)

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #1  

w0ss

Tractor
None yet
Hey guys,
First time tractor buyer here. I have read about every thread I can find on here but I am sure I missed some so any you can point me to that might answer these questions I would appreciate it.

I am looking to buy my second tractor as my first :) I was originally looking at a sub compact Kubota and then went down the Korean tractor rabbit hole and realized I could spend a bit more and get way more tractor.

Questions I have:
I notice the TYM cab models do not have a rear defroster. Are there issues with fogging of the glass in the winter? Related question, it seems the vents only blow out of the front vents and the back ones are some sort of recirculation system. Does it provide enough heat to the rear window if out in the snow working?

The "Value tractor" I was looking at the T394 and it seems to have 12v power and usb ports which are a plus why are these considered value tractors as it seems like they have some features that are better than something like a T454.

Size, I know this is a tough one but I will ask anyways. Having a T394 or a T454 with a cab in the woods is that workable? I have 5 acres but want to purchase some adjacent lots so I assume I will end up in the 20-60 acres. Will be 30% grass/weeds and the rest is wooded. The woods have trails through them so it will mostly be used to maintain them but also clear trees and general housekeeping. Just concerned that I will end up breaking expensive glass often.

Resale value, I plan to keep this for 10-20 years(or longer) so I am not really worried about resale value but I do not see many/any used TYM's for sale. I assume this is a good thing as people are keeping/using them and not unloading a bad machine. I am guessing there will be a drop in price for a used TYM but is there any rough guide for this? As an example if a used name brand drops 30% in 5 years will the TYM drop 40% or is it 80%? I just made up the percentages here.

Last question, Am I missing anything on the cons of TYM? I like to go in eyes wide open when I buy something so here are the cons I have.
Cons:
Limited dealer network in New England. I have one dealer in Maine that is an hour away and if he closes it's pretty far for the next one.
Limited name recognition. I know I had never heard of TYM before this recent search but I see they are large and have been in the tractor business for awhile.
Long term parts availability concern. I don't think this is likely an issue but I guess there is a small risk that could happen.
Thanks,
Will

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #2  
I do not see many/any used TYM's for sale.
Limited dealer network in New England. I have one dealer in Maine that is an hour away and if he closes it's pretty far to the next one.
Long term parts availability concern. I plan to keep this for 10-20 years (or longer). I don't think parts are likely an issue but I guess there is a small risk that could happen.

I speculate that TYM and TYM for Rural King combined have <1% of the compact tractor market in USA. If the partially TYM compact tractors badged for Mahindra are folded in, perhaps 1.5% of the compact tractor market in the USA. Interchangability of parts between TYM/RK/Mahindra is anyone's guess.

You see few used TYMs sold because there are so few in the field. T-B-N is an enthusiast's forum, where all small brands receive attention.

South Korean tractor brands are growing. South Korean manufacturing labor is paid 20% less than Japanese manufacturing labor and that is a significant factor in determining price. Offsetting this is the potential for North Korea to destabilize the economy of South Korea at any time.

" I have one TYM dealer in Maine, an hour away. If he closes it's pretty far to the next TYM dealer."

Did you perform all your own maintenance on your first tractor?

Do you own a truck and trailer with sufficient capacity to trailer the TYM you are most likely to purchase?

Last edited:
   / TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #3  
Quite a few TYM's in this area, they seem to be a pretty good tractor, if that's the size/type you want...

I'd be willing to bet that parts wouldn't be any more of a problem than the other brands, considering TYM has been making tractors for MANY years under several brands, and mostly the only difference in them is paint and sometimes the engine.

IF, I wanted a tractor of that size/type, and TYM had one that would fill the bill, I wouldn't be afraid to buy one at all.

SR

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #4  
If you're looking at a cabbed TYM 394, I would option for the T474 on the very same chassis size, but you'll get a license built A-series Cummins made by Kukje instead of a Yanmar. it is much more quiet, and is a jewel of an engine. So far I have not ran into fogging problems on the rear window. You can direct the vent flow and use AC to dry up the air of it happens. TYM makes tractors for lots of brands, but currently under it's umbrella it makes TYM, RK and Branson.....and it makes many Mahindra models.

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #5  
I have 2 tym built mahindras with a total of over 1500 hrs on them with only a minor hydraulic leak on one of them . Great running and heavy tractors.

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #6  
TYM makes tractors for lots of brands, but currently under it's umbrella it makes TYM, RK and Branson.....and it makes many Mahindra models.
Also the smaller Zetors...

SR

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #7  
Also made a couple tractors for Lamborghini for some countries in Europe.

One thing though, while TYM does own Branson (Kukje), Branson is still pretty much a standalone company and makes their own tractors in house from front to back.

TYM does use Kukje engines on some tractors and for the life of me, can't figure out why they call them Value tractors when they have pretty much the same features if not more like the ones with Yanmar engines.

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #8  
Also made a couple tractors for Lamborghini for some countries in Europe.

One thing though, while TYM does own Branson (Kukje), Branson is still pretty much a standalone company and makes their own tractors in house from front to back.

TYM does use Kukje engines on some tractors and for the life of me, can't figure out why they call them Value tractors when they have pretty much the same features if not more like the ones with Yanmar engines.

:D sssshhh don't tell anyone that they give more bang for the buck.

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions) #9  
I know nothing..... :confused3: :D

/ TYM tractor questions(Size/Value line/Random questions)
Thanks for the reply Jeff9366. To amswer your questions this will be my first tractor. But I am trying to avoid buying to small of a machine as a few freinds have tractors and they have both said the same thing. They said to buy a bigger tractor than you think you will need. Having said that I have done brakes/oil changes/most minor things on my cars. I do not have a truck/trailer that can tow the tractor to the dealer so I would be dependant on the dealer or paying a third party to pickup/dropoff the tractor. but where I am in NH there isnt a dealer 15 minutes away from any brand.