How tall is your welding table?

/ How tall is your welding table? #1  

OutbackL130

Silver Member
Tractor
L130, 420
I'm just curoius at what height others have built their welding table. I like mine fairly high so it's easier on my back and I dont have to bend as far. I'm 5'11".

/ How tall is your welding table? #2  
I think 42" is about normal but I'd rather have it a little lower than too tall. If you have a heavy project, it can be a real pain lifting it up on high table. :censored:

/ How tall is your welding table?
Ok my welding table must be about average height. I think it's 39" tall. After I added casters on it I had to cut the legs down as it was just too tall then. The other work benches in the shop I made at 36".

/ How tall is your welding table? #4  
Might be 36". I remember measuring a work bench when I built my table.

/ How tall is your welding table? #5  
0" ! With my back . I don't lift nothing :) . Honestly , Don't have one , since I build or do all my welding outside . The one in my Dad's shop that he built is right around 36" , seems to be standard height for work benches , etc... . I do think , My Bro and me though are going to cut off the legs some and add casters , Last time we moved that thing , I think we both left body parts on the floor , Ugh is an understatement !!!:shocked:

Fred H.

/ How tall is your welding table? #6  
I made mine 36" and think it is perfect. My work bench is 42" and I like it that height but when welding your hands are usually several inches maybe even a foot above the work surface so I like the welding table a little lower.

/ How tall is your welding table? #7  
When I welded in the shop I raised it up to 40" (my belt height) but I'm 6' 3" and the guy that used it before was shorter. At belt height it seemed just right.

/ How tall is your welding table? #8  
36-39 inches is probably the most common. But I am 6'2" and working at 36" is below my "hinge" point if I stand, and if I sit on a stool, I stoop to much to get in and see the puddle. I have tables at various heights for various types of projects. My go to table is a little over 42". I suggest making a table that comes to the top of the hips when standing, and just below the belly button when sitting, and one wide(deep?) enough that you can reach halfway comfortably when working.

/ How tall is your welding table? #9  
I just made mine at 36" which is standard counter height.

It's a balance between tall enough that you don't have to bend over much when welding small stuff and no so tall that if you put something big on it (adding hooks to a bucket for example) that you can still get over it without a ladder.

If you've got a big enough shop, several of them like Mark has is bonus.

Edit -- I'm also 6' 2"

Last edited:
   / How tall is your welding table? #10  
My best table (well maybe I should say favorite) is a slopped up piece of junk I salvaged from a buddy's welding operation where he had rescued it a few years before from another junk pile. It has huge rubber-on-steel wheels, and looks like it was thrown together, and it was. It had a 1/2" plate that was chopped up and drilled, and painted. It wasn't quite square. The cross member was welded on crooked someway. I took the plate off as it wasn't large enough and got a sheet of 4 x 4 5/16" metal plate. I laid out 3/8x 2" frame with the same for cross members and tacked the top to it. I leveled the top up as best as I could and tacked it to the rolling chassis. It came out remarkably flat except on one corner where it is a little low. I know where the corner is, and can address that issue when it becomes a problem. I've made several thousands of dollars on top of that table. I'd post a picture of that one if I wasn't so embarrased by the looks of it...Well, maybe I will anyway to get the point across that you don't need 1" thick top to do good work and you don't have to spend much money to get something that works. I built another table and built it well, and I use it in some of the videos...It's too nice to use. It has wheels too, but I used smaller solid steel wheels on it. It rolls ok, but doesn't glide like my junky looking one. I bought another table for light TIG and fit up. It's small and well, when you buy it on the cheap like I did you don't pass it up.

I think I will go out and take some pics and just post the junky, embarrasing table just for kicks and give you guys something to laugh at...or to make you feel better about yourselves and your situation and give you hope.