ym2002d alternator possibility

/ ym2002d alternator possibility #1  

winston1

Tractor
Bobcat CT235
I just had the 3rd voltage regulator go out on my tractor yesterday. One before that was about a year ago. One before that was 3 years ago. I'm tired of this expense. It uses the vr522. My research has told be there is no other replacement available. Therefore I am entertaining the idea of installing an alternator and doing away with my little dynamo. I have two possibilities in mind.

First is this DB Electrical - NEW CHEVY MINI ALTERNATOR DENSO STREET ROD RACE 1-WIRE 12180 with the dimensions shown. I know this alternator has been used successfully on a GT14. My compartment looks very similiar.

Second is this New Alternator John Deere Tractor 655 755 756 855 856 12188 | eBay without the dimensions shown. Both of these alternators look very similiar. The second being rated 5 amps higher.

Any of you electrical gurus out there please tell me if I can hook up my charge light to these? I think they are classified as one wire but both have two spade connectors on the back.

Anyone out there have that second John Deere/Yanmar in use that could give me any dimensions?

Here is an old thread from a different forum on an install. Mine looks very similiar. Hoses and all. Converting to GM Alternator - Net Tractor Talk

/ ym2002d alternator possibility #2  
What do you think is causing all the VR'S to go bad ? Are all the VR's the same meaning does the same vr that fits my 3110 fit your tractor ? I'm going to knock on wood to say this .but I haven't had no problems with my original charging system for the 7-8 yrs I've had the tractor. I'm sure that with your abilities you'll get something to work

/ ym2002d alternator possibility #3  
i put a hitachi alt on my 1700.. uses an old style (chrysler) external reg.

alt was the same size as oe. a gm delco cs130 would liekly fit too.. cost more.. etc... no external reg though..

/ ym2002d alternator possibility #4  
I just had the 3rd voltage regulator go out on my tractor yesterday. One before that was about a year ago. One before that was 3 years ago. I'm tired of this expense. It uses the vr522. My research has told be there is no other replacement available. Therefore I am entertaining the idea of installing an alternator and doing away with my little dynamo. I have two possibilities in mind.

First is this DB Electrical - NEW CHEVY MINI ALTERNATOR DENSO STREET ROD RACE 1-WIRE 12180 with the dimensions shown. I know this alternator has been used successfully on a GT14. My compartment looks very similiar.

Second is this New Alternator John Deere Tractor 655 755 756 855 856 12188 | eBay without the dimensions shown. Both of these alternators look very similiar. The second being rated 5 amps higher.

Any of you electrical gurus out there please tell me if I can hook up my charge light to these? I think they are classified as one wire but both have two spade connectors on the back.

Anyone out there have that second John Deere/Yanmar in use that could give me any dimensions?

Here is an old thread from a different forum on an install. Mine looks very similiar. Hoses and all. Converting to GM Alternator - Net Tractor Talk

I suggested this to you on another forum, yes your charge light can still be connected. if mine ever dies i also will go down this path. Go for the biggest capacity in the smallest package you can find.

/ ym2002d alternator possibility
What do you think is causing all the VR'S to go bad ? Are all the VR's the same meaning does the same vr that fits my 3110 fit your tractor ? I'm going to knock on wood to say this .but I haven't had no problems with my original charging system for the 7-8 yrs I've had the tractor. I'm sure that with your abilities you'll get something to work

I don't have a clue what is causing them to go out. A gentleman on another forum suggests possible "gound short". Not sure just what that is? There are at least six different regulators. Yours uses a vr550. It is a solid state also. He gave me some testing ideas to try. Anything I find I will post.

/ ym2002d alternator possibility #6  
Fuse Panel on my 2000. Connection on the back for the Chrg. Sys. I still have the old style in the dash and a SS. Reg. which I use. Been over 5yrs. without a Prob.. I was lucky to have seen the Chrg.Light Flicker a few times which is the reason I was Checking the Cir.. After correcting it Hooked the Old reg. up and Wahla.. it still works fine. Also let me add that a big chain auto checked the SS.reg. and said it was bad. :rolleyes:

/ ym2002d alternator possibility
Fuse Panel on my 2000. Connection on the back for the Chrg. Sys. I still have the old style in the dash and a SS. Reg. which I use. Been over 5yrs. without a Prob.. I was lucky to have seen the Chrg.Light Flicker a few times which is the reason I was Checking the Cir.. After correcting it Hooked the Old reg. up and Wahla.. it still works fine. Also let me add that a big chain auto checked the SS.reg. and said it was bad. :rolleyes:

I pulled my fuse box off this afternoon, pulled fuses, cleaned all connections and reinstalled. No difference. This is the fuse box I have. Yanmar Tractor Parts: FUSE BOX ASSEMBLY The ac voltage from the dynmo goes straight through the regulator before going to the fuse box. That being the case it would seem to me I should get raised dc voltage right out of the regulator whether the fuse box is a problem or not. Just getting battery voltage. :(

/ ym2002d alternator possibility #8  
My friend has an 855. if i can get over there, if no one else responds i will get you dementions of it. Untill then keep battery on a trickle charge and you will be good to go.

/ ym2002d alternator possibility #9  
I don't have a clue what is causing them to go out. A gentleman on another forum suggests possible "gound short". Not sure just what that is? There are at least six different regulators. Yours uses a vr550. It is a solid state also. He gave me some testing ideas to try. Anything I find I will post.

Could it be the generator shorting out ( intermittently ) causing the VR to blow ? I'm just thinking out loud. If tractor is like mine ,there's not much wiring to have to deal with. Good luck what ever you decide !

/ ym2002d alternator possibility #10  
i dont think its a short in the accessories either. check your earth on the reg and the body, ensure its spotless and grounding well. check the positive back to the ignition/starter where it terminates. check to see if the wiring out of the reg to and from everything has not worn through anywhere that it could earth out. barring all that i think its just plain bad luck with them?