Tractor gun, what do you guys think?

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #151  
The ORIGINAL question was about a "tractor gun". I have not re-read all the pages....but I dont recall anyone talking about reliability when the gun is DIRTY.....such as in a tractor environment.

If that's your concern, carry a cheap AK. Most never see a cleaning after they leave the factory.

TripleR, you threw me off with your short stroke terminology for a second. :eek: I actually did that skeet shooting once myself. :eek:

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #152  
I dont recall anyone talking about reliability when the gun is DIRTY.....

Which is just one of the reasons my department standardized on the Remington 870 for our 12 gauge shotguns years ago.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #153  
The ORIGINAL question was about a "tractor gun". I have not re-read all the pages....but I dont recall anyone talking about reliability when the gun is DIRTY.....such as in a tractor environment.

Good point about reliability in poor environmental conditons.
That's one reason I carry a revolver most of the time when on the tractor. That might be a .38 Taurus snubby or a Ruger SP101 or, the only semi-auto I'd carry, a Glock 9mm.
The toughest gun is the Glock...9mm especially since that's what they were designed to run on 25-30 years ago....so when I want to pack a semi-auto, it'll be my Glock 17 or 19. Nice thing about a Glock is they are reliable, but not too pretty and common enough that they're easily replaceable so you don't worry if they get scuffed or ran over by the tractor (rotary cutter might ding 'em up a bit though).

I don't carry a rifle or shottie on the tractor but if I felt I had to, it would be one of my SKS rifles. They're built for combat conditions and are pretty tough (and fairly cheap). AK's are cool...got a couple, but an AK with that 30 round magazine extending out would be a bit of a pain to stow on a tractor.

I do keep the Mossberg 500 stoked for home defense...

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #154  
If that's your concern, carry a cheap AK. Most never see a cleaning after they leave the factory.

TripleR, you threw me off with your short stroke terminology for a second. :eek: I actually did that skeet shooting once myself. :eek:

According to my son "short stroking" (don't even think about it) is fairly common with Police Officers as most only shoot when they have to qualify and the qualification course for many departments is pretty brief. Most of my friends only shot twice a year during qualification and some even had trouble cleaning their own weapons.

For someone who shoots a lot, the rate of fire and dependability between a pump and semi-auto is going to be pretty close.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #155  
That's one big kitty cat!!! Does it use the litter box? :laughing:

Hey mustangsallysdad, I do not think my wife would consider sharing her indoor cats litter box, so I guess these big lions are on their own :laughing:. I will attach the picture of the second lion that was about 20 feet further out, :thumbsup:. The eyes are of the lion, :D :D KC

Attachments

• 179.JPG
    179.JPG
    893 KB · Views: 109
   / Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #156  
coach_large_nickel_black.jpg

These Stoeger Coach guns would handle nicely from the tractor seat. Put one in a sealed ATV scabbard mounted on the ROPS and maybe this would be the ticket?

These side by sides come in .410 Cal and 20 ga.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #157  
I do keep the Mossberg 500 stoked for home defense...

A lot of people like to badmouth the Mossberg because they are relatively inexpensive. However, they seem to have proven for years that they are good enough for the military and police departments. I find it hard to fault them. I have several Remingtons, Berettas, Benellis, Saiga, Mossberg etc. shotguns, and beside my Glock 29 (10mm) I have a 18" Mossberg Marine Magnum with 8 shots. I will admit that, for comfort, my Beretta Xtrema II is easier on the shoulder after shooting all day.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #158  
I'm an outdoors man and have guns but when I am on my tractor I am working. I can not see why a gun is needed unless you drive your tractor in Iraq.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #159  
I'm an outdoors man and have guns but when I am on my tractor I am working. I can not see why a gun is needed unless you drive your tractor in Iraq.

Depends on where you live. The people I knew who carried a gun on a tractor did it for coyotes and feral hogs.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #160  
Obviously some folks desire to carry firearms while on a tractor, some do not, and some would like to, but feel it is not safe. Neither of these are wrong, it's whatever YOU want for your particular situation. Basically, if you want to have a firearm with you - take one, if you do not want one with you - do not take one, if you would like to, but don't like the added safety concerns, take one and keep ammo at hand and load when you are ready to use it (which is better than not having one at all). You could also use clip-fed model and only chamber a round when needed, which can be done fast enough to suit most needs. Anyone choosing to take firearms anywhere should always remember that there are laws pertaining to proper storage of firearms for safety of children which would probably also apply to trucks, tractors, sheds, etc..., so you may want to be sure firearms is always under watchful eyes - for instance, you stop for a minute to run inside the barn to grab something, or make a phone call, or stop to pee - neighbors kids are visiting, sees the firearm(s) and says "neat" and tinkers with it - you just never know...