Tractor gun, what do you guys think?

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #141  
An automatic is not the best choice since sometimes it is a "one and done" gun unless it is shoulder mounted. The resistance of the shoulder allows the recoil/ejection mechanism to work. No shooting from the hip or out of position.

The highway patrol uses a pump for just this reason.

I believe some military and law enforcement have gone with the Benelli semi-auto which has a unique gas piston design that does not need the stable/solid shoulder contact as some others, but I am not an expert on shotguns.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #142  
Hey bstrom, we had a visual on two mountain lions last night about 9pm :eek:. They were about ten feet from our back deck and walking towards our neighbors. I called our neighbor to warn them, and while I was on the phone, both lions showed up walking on the neighbors driveway :thumbsup:. I will try to load a picture :confused:? Know we are just wondering when we will see a grizzly on our property :D. KC

Wow, that is scary looking. I would not want to meet one of those in the woods here in Maine. I don't think a tuna can would satisfy one of them.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #143  
An automatic is not the best choice since sometimes it is a "one and done" gun unless it is shoulder mounted. The resistance of the shoulder allows the recoil/ejection mechanism to work. No shooting from the hip or out of position.

The highway patrol uses a pump for just this reason.

Whatever you think. The FN SLP is used by numerous law enforcement agencies as their gun of choice. It was chosen as the "shotgun of the year" by the NRA + I have shot over 1100 rounds through my FN SLP without so much as a hiccup - there is no reason an automatic will not work as well as a pump - I own both and prefer the automatic.

The gun is not recoil operated. It is gas operated so your conjecture that it needs to be shoulder mounted is totally false. Next, you'll be telling me that the Benelli M4 (used by the Marine Corps) won't work either.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #144  
I'll stick with the pump. I've seen autos jamb when shot from the hip. (Rem 1100 on a pig hunt in heavy brush.)

But then, I prefer a revolver to an auto.

It is a matter of what one is confident with and whether the object on the other end has big teeth or tusks.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #145  
Very nice selection of guns.

I also have a:

Ruger No.1 in 30-338 (.338 necked down to .30 caliber). It has a 22-inch McMillan Premium Grade, medium weight barrel and a 6.5-20 power Leupold scope.

Ruger No. 1 in 6mm with a 26-inch barrel and a 6.0-18 power Redfield scope.

Marlin 1895 45-70 that has been electroless nickle plated and the lever modified as a "speed ring" (see John Wayne in "Stagecoach" for the lever type). I had this done in 1984 because the original lever could not be used with gloves. Interestingly, Marlin now offers a stainless version with an enlarged ring.

S&W "N" frame .41 Magnum (blue) with an 8-3/4 in barrel. The gun has been shimmed, timed, and ported. The action tuned so that in single action it has a 2 pound trigger pull and in double action a 5 pound trigger.

Ruger .223 Ranch Rifle with two 30 shot clips. The rifle has a 1.5x Leupold scope.

Browning .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle.

Ruger double cylinder single action (.45 ACP and .45 Colt).

I have also had, a S&W model 66 .45 Colt with a 6-inch barrel (shouldn't have sold it).

.22 caliber Colt Match Target (shouldn't have sold it).

9mm Walther (glad I sold it).

.380 limited run by Colt in 1911 style (glad I sold it - the round is too small).

16 guage High Standard pump (bought it when I was 15 years old - still have it).

My wife has a .38 stainless S&W "Chief's Special" that has been shimmed, timed, and the trigger worked on so that it has a 3 pound single action and a 6 pound double action. We keep that loaded with .38 +P's.

So, please if you want to lecture me about pumps versus automatics, I don't choose weapons by chance - I know they work or I don't use them.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #146  
I also have a:

Ruger No.1 in 30-338 (.338 necked down to .30 caliber). It has a 22-inch McMillan Premium Grade, medium weight barrel and a 6.5-20 power Leupold scope. My uncle has a couple of Ruger Number 1 rifles, but not tricked out like that: very nice.

Ruger No. 1 in 6mm with a 26-inch barrel and a 6.0-18 power Redfield scope.

Marlin 1895 45-70 that has been electroless nickle plated and the lever modified as a "speed ring" (see John Wayne in "Stagecoach" for the lever type). I had this done in 1984 because the original lever could not be used with gloves. Interestingly, Marlin now offers a stainless version with an enlarged ring. I've loaded lots of rounds for one of those.

S&W "N" frame .41 Magnum (blue) with an 8-3/4 in barrel. The gun has been shimmed, timed, and ported. The action tuned so that in single action it has a 2 pound trigger pull and in double action a 5 pound trigger. I have a stock 629 Classic, 70's era 29 nickel plated in presentation case.

Ruger .223 Ranch Rifle with two 30 shot clips. The rifle has a 1.5x Leupold scope. Mine came with the folding stock and I use 512 Holosight. I also have a Hogue stock for it.

Browning .22 caliber semi-automatic rifle.

Ruger double cylinder single action (.45 ACP and .45 Colt).

I have also had, a S&W model 66 .45 Colt with a 6-inch barrel (shouldn't have sold it).

.22 caliber Colt Match Target (shouldn't have sold it).

9mm Walther (glad I sold it).

.380 limited run by Colt in 1911 style (glad I sold it - the round is too small).

16 guage High Standard pump (bought it when I was 15 years old - still have it).

My wife has a .38 stainless S&W "Chief's Special" that has been shimmed, timed, and the trigger worked on so that it has a 3 pound single action and a 6 pound double action. We keep that loaded with .38 +P's. My wife's primary gun is a tuned S&W 649 with +p Silvertips. She has several including a Colt Match Target.:thumbsup:

So, please if you want to lecture me about pumps versus automatics, I don't choose weapons by chance - I know they work or I don't use them.

Actually, I was the one who pointed out that semi-autos are used by military and law enforcement.

I also have:

Colt Match Target HBAR
Colt Gold Cup Match Target 45 ACP
Sig 556 w/Holosight
Sig 220 228 229
Python
Quite a few others, but have been giving some to my kids.
S&W Model 41 Match

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #147  
I've been collecting firearms for well over 30 years. For a long time it was my passion. Now it's just more of a hobby and investment. To the point, I have a Russian Saiga shotgun that has been modified by a guy who has basically only worked on Saiga shotguns for 20 years. He makes 50 round drums that hold 12 gauge shells. My Russian Saiga has never misfired in thousands and thousands of rounds.

It's all with what your comfortable with. I know several old guys who refuse to carry anything but a wheelgun. My 2nd generation Glock 17 has had well over 10k rounds through it and has yet to misfire. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Sure, I have a couple dozen pump shotguns in my collection. Do I think they are reliable; sure. I also have dozens of semi auto shotguns that I am convinced are just as reliable.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #148  
The ORIGINAL question was about a "tractor gun". I have not re-read all the pages....but I dont recall anyone talking about reliability when the gun is DIRTY.....such as in a tractor environment.

Auto loading guns need to be a bit cleaner to operate in my experience....and are more time consuming to keep clean. It's for that reason that I like a single shot or wheel gun for use on the tractor. Just blow the dust off the Stainless wheel gun once in a while...and you can make it operate. My two cents.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #149  
I've been collecting firearms for well over 30 years. For a long time it was my passion. Now it's just more of a hobby and investment. To the point, I have a Russian Saiga shotgun that has been modified by a guy who has basically only worked on Saiga shotguns for 20 years. He makes 50 round drums that hold 12 gauge shells. My Russian Saiga has never misfired in thousands and thousands of rounds.

It's all with what your comfortable with. I know several old guys who refuse to carry anything but a wheelgun. My 2nd generation Glock 17 has had well over 10k rounds through it and has yet to misfire. I could go on and on, but I think you get the idea. Sure, I have a couple dozen pump shotguns in my collection. Do I think they are reliable; sure. I also have dozens of semi auto shotguns that I am convinced are just as reliable.

Man, you have me beat on the gun collection. While I can't prove this, I suspect someone is about as likely to "short stroke" a pump as to get a FTF out of a modern gas operated semi-auto. My son is an SRT Member and Firearms instructor on handgun, shotgun, patrol Rifle as well as Police Sniper and he runs into this pretty often.

/ Tractor gun, what do you guys think? #150  
The ORIGINAL question was about a "tractor gun". I have not re-read all the pages....but I dont recall anyone talking about reliability when the gun is DIRTY.....such as in a tractor environment.

Auto loading guns need to be a bit cleaner to operate in my experience....and are more time consuming to keep clean. It's for that reason that I like a single shot or wheel gun for use on the tractor. Just blow the dust off the Stainless wheel gun once in a while...and you can make it operate. My two cents.

We gotta have confidence in what we choose to carry and I carry a revolver more than anything else, but read the tests done by the military and law enforcement before adopting the semi-auto; pretty eye opening on dirt/abuse/reliability.