Gantry for Garage

/ Gantry for Garage
Finally got some good measurements on the beam.

10" tall
4" flange x 3/8" thick
1/4" thick web

According to the doc I saw, that comes out to W10x17. 11.5' should equal 195.5 lbs. However, I"m not sure I believe that (or -I'm getting weaker :eek: )

/ Gantry for Garage #12  
Not on wheels so the legs can't splay out. Makes a big difference once you start spanning wide distances.

RJMack - Nice crane you have there. Can't believe you are able to lift that much with just 2x2 box. WOW

/ Gantry for Garage
Not on wheels so the legs can't splay out. Makes a big difference once you start spanning wide distances.

That's my biggest concern with having mine on wheels. I'm contemplating making pads to turn down, or engage somehow, to remove weight from the wheels once in position.

BTW - I'm not planning on actually moving it while carrying a load.

/ Gantry for Garage #14  
are the wheels steel?

from the sound of the materials you have, with a little bracing you probably have plenty to spare in terms of structural strength, even with wheels under it. don't forget to add the weight of the gantry to the total load on the wheels.

if you are going to sit the wide flange on top of the legs it might not hurt to box the ends of the wide flange. if you are welding it in between the legs, that should take care of that problem as well as provide strength against lateral deflection under load, but then you would probably want to box the top of the leg/tube.

/ Gantry for Garage #15  
Finally got some good measurements on the beam.

10" tall
4" flange x 3/8" thick
1/4" thick web

According to the doc I saw, that comes out to W10x17. 11.5' should equal 195.5 lbs. However, I"m not sure I believe that (or -I'm getting weaker :eek: )

Divide these numbers in half for center point loads. ;)

10A.jpg

/ Gantry for Garage
That chart sure is useful. Thank you.

Good point on boxing the flange. Yes, I am planning on sitting it on top of the legs. But - I'm having a hard time imaging what you are talking about. Are you saying to just put a plate on the very end of the I-beam? Or - are you saying to put some plate on each side of the angle?

I was planning on putting some 1.5x1.5 box tubing gussets in the corners. Probably only be about 6" on each side.

And - the wheels are nylon. But - at rated for 700 lbs, using 8, I should be good for 2 tons.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-1195&catname=wheels

/ Gantry for Garage #17  
I think he's talking about a flange to web gusset / stiffener. Keep the flanges of the beam from racking under load.

Gusset.jpg

/ Gantry for Garage #18  
I think he's talking about a flange to web gusset / stiffener. Keep the flanges of the beam from racking under load.

Gusset.jpg

How do you do that and still let the thing roll?

/ Gantry for Garage

Cool. I'm thinking it would be best to align that plate up with the inside edge of the vertical legs. correct?