Gantry for Garage

/ Gantry for Garage #41  
Good thread/build.:thumbsup: Look forward to the updates

/ Gantry for Garage #42  
You are going to enjoy that gantry crane. I built one on a cantilever design with wheels. It is quite strong but the most I have lifted is about 1,000 lbs. I built it to lift and move aircraft engines from the aircraft to an engine stand. Works pretty good. I have a 10' high by 10' wide work area. I don't have a trolley but attach the chain fall dead center.

I roll it onto a lowboy trailer for transport. It does come in handy at the airport and on the farm.

/ Gantry for Garage
Here it is. It's suspending my boat lift cradle I've been working on.

IMG_9919.jpg

The cradle is designed to pick a 2500 lb boat out of the water, suspended by cables. I've actually been using this lift for several years, but decided it was time for some needed modifications and a paint job.

It was very nice to be able to lift the cradle high enough to simply back my small trailer under it, lower the cradle & drive it into the driveway for a good pressure-washing.

It's hanging from the ratchet-straps to keep it from swaying around as much while I paint it.

The Harborfreight trolley works very well. It was easy to move the cradle once it was suspended from side-to-side to get it set onto the trailer just right.

/ Gantry for Garage #44  
The HF trolleys work great on my rolling bridge crane. I did oversize significantly. They do have a tapered and flat area.

Ken

/ Gantry for Garage #45  
If your still looking for ideas, here's one I did.

Cheers

Rohan
118538d1231656380-my-home-built-loader-dscn1149.jpg

Interesting design for the top beam.

And - the wheels are nylon. But - at rated for 700 lbs, using 8, I should be good for 2 tons.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.asp?item=1-1195&catname=wheels

I understand all too well your concerns for the budget; but I would have used steel wheels; though it's a moot point now that you have them installed.

Here it is. It's suspending my boat lift cradle I've been working on.

IMG_9919.jpg

Can you post a closeup of how you mounted the casters to the frame?

/ Gantry for Garage
...Can you post a closeup of how you mounted the casters to the frame?

I'll try to grab one this weekend. Its not the strongest, but it's designed that if it fails, the rig will only drop about 1/2"

/ Gantry for Garage #48  
Thanks for the wheels shot. I see you reinforced the mounting pad fairly well. How well do the dual casters track since the axles are not interconnected?

/ Gantry for Garage
Thanks for the wheels shot. I see you reinforced the mounting pad fairly well. How well do the dual casters track since the axles are not interconnected?

I don't know. I haven't tried to move it much. I don't expect it to work very well. But - as long as it works, I'm happy. There are 2 on each leg, because I didn't want the leg to be trying to tip all the time. I figure this will provide me better support.

/ Gantry for Garage #50  
That's my biggest concern with having mine on wheels. I'm contemplating making pads to turn down, or engage somehow, to remove weight from the wheels once in position.

BTW - I'm not planning on actually moving it while carrying a load.

I have one of those $500 HF gantries with the trolley you're looking at. Am using it now in my shop where a 1951 Minneapolis Moline BF is being restored.

http://www.tractorbynet.com/forums/...62478-mid-mount-milimeter-bf-restoration.html

I'm pulling the Hercules engine (27 hp, 4 cyl, gas) in this photo to send to the machine shop for a complete rebuild--no compression on 3 of the cylinders.

DSCF0047 (Small).JPG

You can see that trolley a little better in this photo

DSCF0108 (Small).JPG

I added four sliding outriggers to the crane to keep it from tipping over front or backwards.
As another poster mentioned, I wouldn't try to lift 2 tons with this crane. Maybe 1000 lb.
Also, the plastic casters that came with this gantry are crap. I replaced them with four large metal swivel casters that are much stronger and roll better than the plastic junk.

Good luck on your gantry project.