Gantry for Garage

/ Gantry for Garage #31  
I have one that is made out of 4x4 box it is just two capital tees upside down with big steel wheels on it and another bar accross the the top it is very very heavy 4 of us could not even lift it. I know it will lift anything I try we lifted a semi flatbed with it that had 30,000 on it and was able to lift the back up to do a brake job. I would post a picture but it is not here right know out at friends place I am going to try to go get it one day this week.

/ Gantry for Garage
Just realized something this morning.... :(

The beam is up-side-down. That's a problem, because the one flange has 6 holes in it, and I'm using an I-beam trolly that rides on the flanges.

I think it'll be easier to weld the holes shut and grind them down, than to cut the welds & flip that heavy beam by myself. I think I'll weld a piece of flat-bar on the under side, then weld the holes closed. I know it won't be as good as new, but it should still hold the 1-ton I was shooting for.

/ Gantry for Garage
A couple of Pics to prove it's real.
IMG_5063.jpg

IMG_5064.jpg

IMG_5066.jpg

/ Gantry for Garage
I still plan on capping the ends of the I-beam, fill in the holes on the lower flange, add the trolley (when it arrives on Thurs), add the wheels (when they arrive on Tuesday) and run another, heavier bead of weld across everything.

I was showing my girls how the chain hoist made it easier to pick stuff up. They were thrilled to be able to pick up that 22" long piece of 10" Ibeam.

/ Gantry for Garage #35  
Still like to see pictures when you get it done. Make a good gusset to support the stress of lifting and side movement on the legs. What kind of wheels did you finally purchase to roll it around with?

/ Gantry for Garage
I forgot to add that I cut some 2x4 box tubing that I had laying around, 12" long for gussets.

I went with glass filled nylon. But - at rated for 700 lbs, using 8, I should be good for 2 tons. My plan, is to put 2 of them beside each other at the end of each leg.

https://www.surpluscenter.com/item.a...catname=wheels

I know that larger, steel wheels would be better. However, with other projects I'm doing and this project being unplanned (see the boat lift cradle in the background), I needed to be very budget consious. Couldn't beat the price on these wheels given their load rating.

/ Gantry for Garage #37  
don't mean to sound negative about it, but you have no support from side to side or forward, backword movement. weight distribution is not evenly displaced over what you are lifting unless exact center is mated. you really need braces or legs from the bottom on each side to the beam and a good gusset on each end to prevent side to side failure. design looks good other than it needs more support, but don't mean to tell you how to build it.

/ Gantry for Garage
Thanks for the good information. I understand your concerns.

Given the method of lifting (chain hoist), it is almost always a hanging weight. Dead center lifting is almost certain.

Yes, gussets will be added, but nothing near what you are describing. I'm only planning on 12" long gussets to keep things plum and level.

Reminder - this rig won't be moved while it's lifting anything, so there is very little swinging motion to be concerned with. Also - I'm only looking at a 2-ton limit (really, only 1/2 ton, but wanted to be sure I had enough just to be safe)

/ Gantry for Garage
Didn't have much time, and it took way too long, but I got the 2 upper braces welded in place tonight. They are only 12" long, but made a big difference on the lateral (left/right) movement.

I also got some of the for/aft braces cut. They ended up being 20" long.

The wheels showed up today. I was surprised to see they were used. But, after re-reading the description, it did state "removed from service". They look like they are in good shape, so I'll use them anyway.

Hopefully, by EOB Thursday (have off for Vets day), I'll have the for/aft braces completed, and the wheels mounted. The Trolley is also supposed to arrive Thursday.

On a side note. Thank you vets for all you have given to our country. I have worked with many vets throughout my career. They always know when it's time to cut the BS and get the mission done. It's a pleasure working next to them.

/ Gantry for Garage #40  
sounds good. hope to see pictures when completed. handiest thing I've made in years.