Grease Gun and a Screwdriver

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #81  
Even put the gnarled part in a vice

It's "knurled"....so, ya learned something else...

Gnarly is defined as Unpleasant; disgusting...sort of like me

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #82  
OK, Roy. Ya see, I have been married to a school teacher for 39 years and for 39 years she has loved to correct my english and my spelling so its kind of a touchy area with me. :)

Thanks for the correction now tell me how to get that tip to adjust!!

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #83  
I saw one "cheapie" that did not have the jaws and did not adjust, it had like a hairpin spring across the nozzle instead of the 3 or 4 jaws. Could you post a couple of close up pix of it? looking into the nozzle and a side view? maybe we could help

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #84  
Hey all,

I justhad to attach the pictures below. I am pretty dang sure that there is no knurled knob that retracts the four jaws of my grease nozzle.

As you can see I tried to use force and it failed. Oh well I am guessing that I will have to go out and buy a new tip. Grrr...!!!!

I am quite please to see that it has only taken me 29 years to learn how to properly use grease guns.

~Kevin
They look knurly to me.:laughing:

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #85  
Thanks for the correction now tell me how to get that tip to adjust!!

I don't have a Lincoln grease gun (got a $15 cheapie pneumatic type from Harbor Freight).
The only time I get grease out the sides of the tip is if I'm not set square on the zerk fitting or if I haven't pushed the tip far enough on to the zerk.

You wrote:
I took the tip off and tried my best to break it loose (somewhere?). Even put the gnarled part in a vice and had no luck. Am I missing something here? I see no place on this tip where it would seperate.

There should have been a collet with 3 or 4 jaws inside the tip....was there? And, if it works like mine, tightening the grease gun tip (doesn't take much) closes those jaws (resulting in a better fit on the zerk.
Did you get a manual with your Lincoln...and does it say anything about tip adjustment or replacement?

BTW, until this thread, I never realized the tips could be adjusted either. I thought the knurled end was just for removal and cleaning or replacement.

Last edited:
   / Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #86  
Ok guys heres a pic of the grease fitting. I hadn't taken a pic looking up into the nozzle yet but can tell you that it has the 3 jaws you talked about. I just can't figure how to adjust it to tighten or loosen on the zerk.

Roy, nothing in the instructions about adjusting the tip. In fact, it doesn't even mention the tip. Just tells you how to fill the gun. Sure seems that if the tip is adjustable they would sure mention it. Right?

Attachments

• grease tip 001.JPG
    grease tip 001.JPG
    482.6 KB · Views: 376
   / Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #87  
The inside of the tip should have a tapered section to close or open those jaws...not too dissimilar (in concept) to the chuck of a drill.
The jaws are probably made of some kind of spring steel (which would keep them in the opened or closed position, depending on how they were made). There should also be some kind of spring or shoulder behind them.

If they do not open or close as you thread the tip up and down the threads...you may be missing a component inside the grease gun.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #88  
Has anyone seen the tire chucks that have the clip that holds it onto the valve stem and the lever on the side that releases it? Why don't they make a grease gun tip like that?
RV0102_large.jpg

Something like this. Replace the aluminum air gun with a grease gun. Or maybe a quick disconnect like an air line would have that would work in the head of a zerk.

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #89  
Ok guys heres a pic of the grease fitting. I hadn't taken a pic looking up into the nozzle yet but can tell you that it has the 3 jaws you talked about. I just can't figure how to adjust it to tighten or loosen on the zerk.

Roy, nothing in the instructions about adjusting the tip. In fact, it doesn't even mention the tip. Just tells you how to fill the gun. Sure seems that if the tip is adjustable they would sure mention it. Right?

What happened to the the spring and the little shoulder piece.? You have the tip screwed off now. that is one piece. now if the spring and shoulder piece are in there, screw it back on just finger tight and go try it on a zerk. if it goes on and comes off too easy screw it down a little more, if it does not want to come off unscrew it a little. You can usually find a spot for a given size of zerk that will work so you dont have to mess with it. it will go on and off just about right. If you find some zerks of a different size, then adjust it, by screwing it in or out. The instructions are nearly useless on most of them. By the time you find the English page of the 2 inch square minature folded over piece paper, you are so disgusted with the instructions you throw them in the trash. ( at least that is what I do). if you have lost the spring and shoulder piece, well they sell new tips.

James K0UA

/ Grease Gun and a Screwdriver #90  
Al - That tip wouldn't fit into half the places a grease gun needs to... Besides, they work pretty easily as is. If yours is not working right, it is 50 cents to replace and improve..