Log Forks

/ Log Forks #11  
O/C, like rust, never sleeps.

So yeah, I am running a slight fever of 99.2 and the head has started to hurt. The crapola has made it to the bronchials. Dr. S. Game is ready with his diagnosis: Infuenza. It's been years since I had a just plain flu. I always refuse the shots the VA tries to talk me into, choosing to keep a natural immune system. Like George Carlin, who got a good immune system from swimming in raw sewage in the Hudson River, I think it's good to let nature work. After all, what doesn't kill us, only postpones the inevitable.

So dark!

/ Log Forks #12  
I took a nap after lunch today and then went to the shop. I finished most of the welding on the frame. Only a few small parts left to chop out and attach and the frame is all there. I did a test fitting on the loader and everything fit very nicely. Making my bottom catch blocks for the quick release's sliding bolts to lock into looks like it's going to be simple and easy.

On Saturday evening, as I was coming down with this crud, I realized that I had blown the math for the on-center measurement of the forks.
slapface.gif
It wasn't 72" on center I wanted, but 75" (had to be divisible by 15"). This is going to be no problem, as I can cheat the fork pockets out an inch and a half without worry. I'll just make gussets and it will look like I planned it that way. :cool:

... we'll never tell ... Load up some pictures when you get a chance - some gloat time might do you good!

/ Log Forks
I've been taking pictures of it. I've got this Linux machine and it doesn't see my camera. I don't have the time to learn what I have to do to get to the next step that I don't know how to do.

===============

Put in another four hours so far today. I'm thinking I have another day and a half in order to get this project I thought would take two days done.

/ Log Forks
Napped again today until just after three. Got back on it and made some progress. I put on three chain hooks. Grab hooks at the tops of the end uprights and a slide hook in the center. I capped the tops of the end 2X4 uprights. I also boxed the center section of the top angle iron to make it into a triangular beam, so as to handle any force from that center hook. This morning, I had done the same, triangular boxing both the top and bottom angle irons to help resist twisting the frame when significant weight would be on the forks. I cut out the slide bolt stops for the quick release and clamped them in place. By then, it was 7:30 and I'd probably overdone it. I weld them in tomorrow.

I've been putting off mounting the fork sockets and building the fork tines until last. They will be pinned in place so I'm going to drill all of them at once, so they'll all be the identical and any of the tines should fit into any of the sockets. I'll clamp the sockets together while I drill the pilot holes. Then I will build the tines and drill them while they are in one of the matched sockets.

I was thinking, "pallet forks" when I bought the materials, so the first set of forks I'm building are going to extend 48 inches. After thinking about this, I don't want my log forks any longer than 30 inches. So next week, when I go back to town, I'll get the makings for the shorter log tines. I won't attach the pallet fork sockets until I have built that other set of forks. For now, I'll use the four foot tines for any logs I might pick up.

I'm using the 2"X4"X1/4" tubing as the sockets. Too bad the steel supply doesn't have a 1 1/2"X3 1/2" rectangular tubing to mate up with the sockets. I'm going to have to build something up to fit the sockets. This is going to make this part of the build run into some serious time.

/ Log Forks #15  
How about some C3.5 channel?
It's 3 x 1.375.
You could weld some 1/8" strips to the back of the web and the flanges in the area that goes into the socket to bring it out to 3.5 x 1.5.
That would give you reinforcement where you need it with a lighter fork for more loader capacity.
Weld a stip of 1/8 x 2.5 x 30" between the flange tips to form a box shape.
I know, I know, more cutting, more fit up, more welding ... more time!

If I ever gave an honest estimate of how long it would take to complete a project, management would never let me start anything. The funny thing is they always seem happy with the results when I finish.

/ Log Forks
How about some C3.5 channel?
It's 3 x 1.375.
You could weld some 1/8" strips to the back of the web and the flanges in the area that goes into the socket to bring it out to 3.5 x 1.5.
That would give you reinforcement where you need it with a lighter fork for more loader capacity.
Weld a strip of 1/8 x 2.5 x 30" between the flange tips to form a box shape.
I know, I know, more cutting, more fit up, more welding ... more time!

Gee, that's just what I bought for this.

My old bucket forks were four inch channel and I managed to bend them by picking up a steel work table. I straightened them by placing them across a void and pushing them back down in the center with the loader. I then strengthened them at the points where they would want to bend again with that same three inch channel, welded into the undersides of the forks, upside down. I never bent them again.

So, from that experience, my materials for my tines is four inch channel with a core of upside down three inch, with the three inch extending back into the sockets, boxed, and furred to fit the sockets, with reinforcements inside, extending several inches into the tine proper to stiffen them even more where they will suffer the highest load leverage.

If I ever gave an honest estimate of how long it would take to complete a project, management would never let me start anything. The funny thing is they always seem happy with the results when I finish.

"Everything takes longer than you think," is on every list of Murphy's Laws of Engineering that I can find.

I have to say that I am, so far on this project, a happy job boss. Maybe I'll give me a raise. I'm a damned good and dedicated employee, coming to work sick and all.

---------------------

Just a note. I bought one of those carbide 7.25" steel cutting blades to cut out the two 10"X12"X1/4" plates. It's the first time I ever used one of those. What a great tool! I burned the tapers on my old bucket forks and had to grind them smooth. These forks will be sawed to a point. I've been converted. $40 for the blade was a deal.

Last edited:
   / Log Forks
I got the bolt stops in and locked it on the loader mounts. As far as I can see, the fit is perfect. I can run it through the whole dump/roll-back cycle and everything clears (barely). I just measured what will be the distance from the log to the lower pivot pins: 8.25 inches! That is down from the 33 inches to the start of the bucket forks. That should multiply the rollback force four times. The new geometry will also greatly lessen the ability to lose a log over the back of the loader. The built in tilt of the bucket, and the angle of its end plates made that a real danger. I've dumped dirt on my hood before. I never want to roll a big log into my lap.

===============================

I've been rethinking the fork sockets. I'm thinking that I should use 3/8" 2X4 tubes, as that will make the fit better and easier for that C3.5 tang (stronger in a good place too). I can always use the 1/4" stuff as stake pockets on my trailers. I need the right length to make my 30 inch log forks, so it's another trip to town anyway.

/ Log Forks
I got a day of sun a couple back and had to get back on the mowing. Yesterday it rained so after getting the four foot forks' components all cut out, I made an off-week trip to the steel supply and got what I needed for the 32 inchers. I'm going out to begin the cutting for them now. I used that carbide blade to point up the four foot long forks, cutting 12 inches of taper from the channel flanges. That blade is the way to go.

BG, I decided to stay with the 1/4" tubes for the fork sockets and will be going pretty much the route you suggested to make the tangs. One difference is, I bought some 1/2" X 1" bar that I will put inside the core to extend up into the forks a little way from the tang. Right there at the hilt is a place where a bend would be likely (though I think I've overbuilt it for anything the loader would lift in the first place). I got some 2 1/2" X 1/4" to box the tang on top of that 1/2" X 1". A little bit of 1/8th into the base of the fork will make it a tight fit into there.

It's dawning sunny here so I may just get to the mowing. 100.0 hours on the new tractor as I start the day. I guess that means it's grease gun day too.

/ Log Forks
I am sorry that I have no way to get any images up for now. I see that might make this thread of lesser value to many, and worthless to the illiterate. (Picture a smiley face here.)