Log Forks

/ Log Forks #1  

Short Game

Veteran Member
Tractor
LS R4010 & Cub Cadet 7300
I got the steel on Wednesday to build my six feet on center log forks for my R4010 LS. I will be taking pictures when I remember to. And when I get to where I can post them, I will (maybe, depending on how awful my welds look :laughing:). I'm doing this to get the logs as close in to the loader as possible, as the reach of the bucket, plus the quick-release stuff, was giving the logs too much leverage over the machine. I'm making it six feet wide to support the logs a little better than the bucket forks did at five feet. The steel ran about $235 (pretty amazing when you consider that there are no moving parts). The first components are clamped to a bench and ready for tacking.

=========================

I use the forks as a saw buck, as my blown up fifth lumbar makes bending over with a chainsaw self limiting (meaning, if I do it today, I won't be able to tomorrow). I like to buck at chest height and let the saw just climb up into the cut and hold itself up. I've bucked a thousand logs that way. I cut most of the way through, having learned how far not to cut (it's not good when the log comes apart on the forks, trust me on that). The I roll the partially bucked logs onto the ground or deck before I buck the next log. I walk along and finish the cuts, which usually end up on top and are easy enough to reach. As I finish more logs, they wind up decked up and looking like whole logs, though they are already bucked. Then I circle the deck with my box scraper mounted splitter and wood cart towing behind. The rounds nearly split right into the cart.

Last edited:
   / Log Forks #2  
I got the steel on Wednesday to build my six feet on center log forks for my R4010 LS. I will be taking pictures when I remember to. And when I get to where I can post them, I will (maybe, depending on how awful my welds look :laughing:). I'm doing this to get the logs as close in to the loader as possible, as the reach of the bucket, plus the quick-release stuff, was giving the logs too much leverage over the machine. I'm making it six feet wide to support the logs a little better than the bucket forks did at five feet. The steel ran about $235 (pretty amazing when you consider that there are no moving parts). The first components are clamped to a bench and ready for tacking.

=========================

I use the forks as a saw buck, as my blown up fifth lumbar makes bending over with a chainsaw self limiting (meaning, if I do it today, I won't be able to tomorrow). I like to buck a chest height and let the saw just climb up into the cut and hold itself up. I've bucked a thousand logs that way. I cut most of the way through, having learned how far not to cut (it's not good when the log comes apart on the forks, trust me on that). The I roll the partially bucked logs onto the ground or deck before I buck the next log. I walk along and finish the cuts, which usually end up on top and are easy enough to reach. As I finish more logs, they wind up decked up and looking like whole logs, though they are already bucked. Then I circle the deck with my box scraper mounted splitter and wood cart towing behind. The rounds nearly split right into the cart.

Sounds like you have your operation down to a good system - and I appreciate the part about the lumbar limitations! I bet they'll work great for moving the slash around, too.

/ Log Forks
I bet they'll work great for moving the slash around, too.

That gave me an idea. I can build a lighter multiple fork setup to fit this frame for that kind of thing. I chip most of the small brush. I buzz the large limbs with my PTO buzz saw. It will be handy to move limbs to good places to buzz them and brush to where I can chip them. Some of the really fat limbs I use for growing shiitake mushrooms. This would be handy for dealing with those too.

======================

Farmer yoga?

baby-grand.gif

/ Log Forks #5  
======================

Farmer yoga?

baby-grand.gif

Hee-hee! Painful Python Position. It's actually sort of a reminder to myself not to get "wrapped around the axle" as I am sometimes want to do.

/ Log Forks
I started test fitting the frame onto the quick-mount loader and found some small fit issues I must work around. Not a big deal. With the ends of the frame on, I've gotten it to well over 100 pounds and it's becoming more like work for 140 pound me. I'm guessing the frame is going to end up at about 160. The forks will be heavy, but I don't have to have them on there, as they are going to be movable, and removable. Since I'm no real welder, I like to keep gravity on my side, so lots of moving it around to do the welds. 6011 stick is what I do. I'm self taught, and probably had a fool for a teacher. (I've tried 1109 for overhead welding, but it didn't work so good.)

I developed a cough yesterday and worked it into a sore throat. Today I can't talk and am taking it easy to stave off the pneumonia. I've been looking out the kitchen window at the project not getting anywhere. What a test for an obsessive/compulsive. Watch the British Open, or work myself to death?

Last edited:
   / Log Forks
I could not stay inside all day. I put in about four hours, chopping, grinding, fitting, measuring, and clamping for the next round of welding. At the end I was feeling pretty dizzy. That's all I had in me today. It's not a good time to have the plague. Why couldn't I do that when all the woodsheds are full? Our wet "dry season" goes on.

/ Log Forks #8  
Dude!
Exhaustion is the enemy - rest is your friend.
Get some sleep and get better.
The forks will keep for a day or two.

/ Log Forks
O/C, like rust, never sleeps.

So yeah, I am running a slight fever of 99.2 and the head has started to hurt. The crapola has made it to the bronchials. Dr. S. Game is ready with his diagnosis: Infuenza. It's been years since I had a just plain flu. I always refuse the shots the VA tries to talk me into, choosing to keep a natural immune system. Like George Carlin, who got a good immune system from swimming in raw sewage in the Hudson River, I think it's good to let nature work. After all, what doesn't kill us, only postpones the inevitable.

/ Log Forks
I took a nap after lunch today and then went to the shop. I finished most of the welding on the frame. Only a few small parts left to chop out and attach and the frame is all there. I did a test fitting on the loader and everything fit very nicely. Making my bottom catch blocks for the quick release's sliding bolts to lock into looks like it's going to be simple and easy.

On Saturday evening, as I was coming down with this crud, I realized that I had blown the math for the on-center measurement of the forks.
slapface.gif
It wasn't 72" on center I wanted, but 75" (had to be divisible by 15"). This is going to be no problem, as I can cheat the fork pockets out an inch and a half without worry. I'll just make gussets and it will look like I planned it that way. :cool: