Log Forks

/ Log Forks #21  
---------------------

Just a note. I bought one of those carbide 7.25" steel cutting blades to cut out the two 10"X12"X1/4" plates. It's the first time I ever used one of those. What a great tool! I burned the tapers on my old bucket forks and had to grind them smooth. These forks will be sawed to a point. I've been converted. $40 for the blade was a deal.
After reading the above testimonial for a metal cutting blade, I went out and bought one, too. I have yet to put it to a real test but I did gingerly touch the spinning blade to some 1/4" steel for just a couple seconds and it made a 1/4" cut. I'm impressed already!! So I'm giving credit where it's due and thank you for posting this.:thumbsup::thumbsup: I'll have to be cautious while using it though. The old B+D saw I'm using has plastic guards. Years ago I tried using an abrasive blade in a saw with plastic guards and pretty soon I had no plastic guards left. Funny how sparks cause fires.:eek::p

/ Log Forks
A warning on those blades: they throw bigger chips/sparks than an abrasive wheel. It's a good idea to wear a full face shield and gloves. I don't have one of those face shields, so I wear my welding helmet with the dark glass flipped up. My clear lenses are magnifiers (perfect for an old guy).

Another thing I have found out already: make sure your are on your cutting line, as there ain't no steering it back on if you get away from the line.

Today, I made my two 32 inch log forks (took most of the day). They wound up having nine parts each (I took pictures, really -- I'll get them up eventually). I used that blade to cut the tapers for the fork tips and it worked absolutely great. It's really very much like cutting wood.

I hit it at about 8:00 this morning and quit at 7:00 this evening. I only had the last two small pieces to chop and weld on (the last step in attaching the fork pockets -- except for the paint, all done!) when I quit. I just didn't have anything left in my tank. I'm worn out.

I am going to pick up a big log with this thing before ten in the morning tomorrow and take a picture of that. I may go over to my neighbors and use their computer to upload that shot. My two day project took me over a week.

Last edited:
   / Log Forks

Sorry. I became a big fan of gallows humor while captive on a diesel-electric submarine.

Best gallows humor of all time nominee:

Aside from that, Mrs. Lincoln, how was the play?

/ Log Forks #24  
A warning on those blades: they throw bigger chips/sparks than an abrasive wheel. It's a good idea to wear a full face shield and gloves. I don't have one of those face shields, so I wear my welding helmet with the dark glass flipped up. My clear lenses are magnifiers (perfect for an old guy).

Another thing I have found out already: make sure your are on your cutting line, as there ain't no steering it back on if you get away from the line.

k.
Thanks for those heads up tips!:thumbsup: I guess I'll have to get some safety equipment before I do any serious cutting with that blade. I don't suppose I should use my saw left handed while cutting steel, either?:(

/ Log Forks
I have a Milwaukee 14" abrasive chop saw that I will still used for most cutout. However, adjusting it for doing 45s and other angles has always been a pain in the sciatic nerve. When I needed a couple little gussets, it was hardly worth the trouble, and resetting it back to ninety degrees exact gets to that same nerve. So, I would nearly always use an angle grinder with a .045" cutoff wheel to do things like that. Now, after the ease of cutting those long tapers from the channel iron, I know that steel-cutting blade will be the weapon of choice.

/ Log Forks #26  
I am sorry that I have no way to get any images up for now. I see that might make this thread of lesser value to many, and worthless to the illiterate. (Picture a smiley face here.)

Oh! Snap!

/ Log Forks #27  
I have a Milwaukee 14" abrasive chop saw that I will still used for most cutout. However, adjusting it for doing 45s and other angles has always been a pain in the sciatic nerve. When I needed a couple little gussets, it was hardly worth the trouble, and resetting it back to ninety degrees exact gets to that same nerve. So, I would nearly always use an angle grinder with a .045" cutoff wheel to do things like that. Now, after the ease of cutting those long tapers from the channel iron, I know that steel-cutting blade will be the weapon of choice.

With what do you spin this blade, pray tell? I had been thinking of buying an abrasive wheel chop saw, but after using a friends, the prospect of using one again really wasn't setting my hair on fire. Sounds like you have a much better option in play.

/ Log Forks
Oh! Snap!

You noticed.

I put no little effort into writing about what I could not show. I was thinking that it may have not been a waste, and finding that reply when tired at the end of a lot of work, did trip the wire. I waited until morning to respond, and that was good, because my first inclination was to disparage the schools in OK. That probably wouldn't have been completely fair.

Last edited:
   / Log Forks
With what do you spin this blade, pray tell? I had been thinking of buying an abrasive wheel chop saw, but after using a friends, the prospect of using one again really wasn't setting my hair on fire. Sounds like you have a much better option in play.

I have a Milwaukee 7 1/4" circular saw (sidewinder variety) that I have that steel cutting blade on at the moment. When I saw the guy at the steel supply cut that 10"X1/4", he was using a Skil model 77 worm drive.

On the blade it says it is for mild steel only, up to a quarter inch. I can't see giving up the chop saw just because I have that blade. For 90 degrees on stock that fits under the abrasive blade, the chopper is the best option I have.

The 14" chopper isn't an endearing critter. Like any of these things, it's wicked noisy and throws sparks everywhere, but after years of using various abrasive wheels, I've finally started (perhaps too late) to wear a respirator mask. I don't trust the fibers they use to bind those wheels. If you run them in sunlight, you can see the fragments of fiber shining as they drift in the air. Can't be good stuff to breathe.

Do not buy the cheap 14" wheels they sell off the cheap tool truck! I made that mistake once.
At best, they have bad balance, and at worst, they will blow up on you in the middle of a cut.

Last edited:
   / Log Forks
This picture stuff has run into some serious time. To make things worser, my local DSL connection is really dragging today. This is just a test. If it works, I'll try again later when the connection is hopefully faster.

LS_Tractor_057.jpg

Last edited: