Log Forks

/ Log Forks #31  
Heres a couple of pics of my homemade clamp on forks. I happen to have a cnc plasma system in my home shop....so fabricating forks is a breeze! The first couple of pics were of my first fork designs...the latest ones are much more robust.....and stay straight on the bucket better. I have used them a lot with the Kubota4310....lifting in the 1500lb + range....must have weight on the rear to do this!

Jim Colt

Attachments

• IMG_2597.jpg
    IMG_2597.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 278
  • IMG_2593.jpg
    IMG_2593.jpg
    90.9 KB · Views: 298
  • 1600shorton bucket.jpg
    1600shorton bucket.jpg
    94 KB · Views: 286
  • 1600clamp.jpg
    1600clamp.jpg
    71.8 KB · Views: 305
   / Log Forks #32  
Jim; those are nice looking forks. :thumbsup:

Consider also attaching some uprights to the back of the bucket to stop a log from rolling back onto your seat.:)

/ Log Forks #33  
I have made a few sets with uprights......when I use them I just don't stack the logs any higher than the bucket! Fortunately my firewood is all done for this winter....

/ Log Forks
Starting the quick-release frame:

LS_Tractor_012.jpg

LS_Tractor_016.jpg

End uprights going on:

LS_Tractor_018.jpg

Test fitting:

LS_Tractor_033.jpg

Frame complete, primer on:

LS_Tractor_038.jpg

LS_Tractor_040.jpg

Building up reinforced fork tang:

LS_Tractor_041.jpg

LS_Tractor_042.jpg

Fitting tang to socket:

LS_Tractor_046.jpg

Building up the fork tine:

LS_Tractor_047.jpg

Tang and socket, drilled and ready:

LS_Tractor_052.jpg

Attaching the sockets:

LS_Tractor_054.jpg

Now we're loggin'!

Bucked logs, ready to split:

LS_Tractor_002.jpg

LS_Tractor_005.jpg

==========================

My computer still doesn't see my camera, so I emailed them to myself from another computer. A bit of a pain, but it worked.

Last edited:
   / Log Forks #35  
I believe I can safely say your work looks like"factory"!:thumbsup: Pride of workmanship is showing through! I'd encourage you to give yourself a pat on the back but knowing better, I'll just mean it figuratively.:):thumbsup:

/ Log Forks
Thanks. It did come out okay. Better yet, the bucking went really well. I'm so late on my wood this year and that is what this has all been about.

...give yourself a pat on the back but knowing better...

Someone told you about my rotator cuff?

/ Log Forks #38  
Nice forks! That frame looks really wide, which should make handling long stuff a lot more stable than with the usual width forks. I take it you've recovered from the creeping crud? Just in time to cut wood - hope the weather holds out.

/ Log Forks
Nice forks! That frame looks really wide, which should make handling long stuff a lot more stable than with the usual width forks. I take it you've recovered from the creeping crud? Just in time to cut wood - hope the weather holds out.

Thanks, BG.

I posted more pics in the "Show Us Your Splitter..." thread. What I can buck in two hours takes me twelve to split and stack. If this was March, I wouldn't be in such a hurry. I barely get into a groove on doing the wood and it's time to put the mower back on. I did force myself to get in a round of disc golf with some local friends a few days ago. Plus four for 23 holes (we all decided to skip the last two holes). (Not too bad for me.) The crud is settled into my bronchials for now. Just like the flu. As for the weather, when the Pacific warms up, we cool down. Looks like a drizzler today. It's good to get the wood split before the sawdust gets wet. But, I'll look forward to my favorite winter pastime: shoving wood in the stove. :thumbsup:

/ Log Forks #40  
Now you just need to add a hydraulic clamping arm and you can carry those logs around wherever you want. Great for brush, too!
Nice work, planning and welds. Easy to tell now your self-criticism was banter.
Paint time.
Jim