howes or power service

/ howes or power service
nice, thanks

/ howes or power service
i don't reall seeing it in my local stores. might ask napa about it..

/ howes or power service #34  
You can add me to the list of using Howes...great product with no ill effects. I' started using it a few yrs ago over the PS that I was using. Read here at TBN and a few other places about some by product(?) left behind in the engine oil when using PS. I first heard about Howes back in the late 70s/early 80s from some ol timers in dealerships.

/ howes or power service #35  
are either of these (or both) an algaecide? I am putting together a 50 gallon transfer tank/ pump and I use the white PS as of now but after reading this thread maybe will switch to howes. It isn't as easy to find, but not too hard. Anyway the 50 gallon tank may last me 6 months to a year and was concerned about algae. So is one better than another, or do I need to add something else as well?

/ howes or power service #37  
Howes isn't an algecide unfortunately....Mike

Buy it as you need it, keep a couple of 5 gallon cans on reserve.

If you are buying in bulk to save money, ask your supplier to add an algecide before the fill the tank up.

/ howes or power service #38  
I had never heard of this stuff. But I stopped by the local O'Reilly store and sure enough they had it out in front. I brought home a 1/2 gallon for <$20. I just used all of my PS when we topped off the 50 gallon transfer tank yesterday. So it'll be a day or two before we get to try it out.

Last edited:
   / howes or power service #39  
My choice is schaffers Diesel treat 2000 then stanadyne.I have also used howes products.Google the spicer lubricity report.Great info.coobie

/ howes or power service #40  
Howes is 100 times better than PS. PS is the walmart brand of diesel additives.

It is sold everywhere, but it is junk compared to whats out there.

have used howes for years...K dealer parts guy says howes a standby for many truckers in diesel. i have not done a field test...just used howes in my diesel for years...quick starts w/o smoke beyond initial start up. but you choose... i'll stick w/howes. lots out there......
Sure, but I consistently use nothing and have no problem on any of our 5 diesels. ... 100 times better than that would be difficult to notice. :confused3:
larry