Neighbor removed my property line pin

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin
Moving or disturbing a certified survey marker is against the law everywhere. Period. If he accidentally dug it up it is his responsibility to replace it including cost for the re-survey if needed.
Is this a law that I can find in print? State or federal law?
I've looked and found nothing other than discussions saying it's against the law
the missing pin is/was a certified pin with the surveyors lic# or whatever is used attached

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #252  
I already spoke with the surveyor and she advised against my placing concrete around the pins. According to her...the pins are located within 1/100 of an inch and placing any concrete might disturb the position. She offered to do it instead but it would involve more $$$.
I'll pass on her offer as I have another idea that would suffice
Might be able to dig a 6" hole where the pin will go and fill it with packed dry concrete, then have her put the pin in till its flush with the concrete mix. Then it wont move and the pin will stay right where she puts it.

Aaron Z

There are no court houses around here either but there are county seats. I would think that they would have this survey on record.
county seat?
excuse my ignorance but where would I look?
I would think the town hall where all records pertaining to property etc are kept would be the place, but they have no record of it being done.

I'll ask the surveyor about it when i speak to her this week. Xmas will likely delay this until at least Wednesday. I do plan on calling tomorrow just in case she's working.

Might be able to dig a 6" hole where the pin will go and fill it with packed dry concrete, then have her put the pin in till its flush with the concrete mix. Then it wont move and the pin will stay right where she puts it.

Aaron Z
another possibility and I'll run it by her
thanks

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #255  
I once encroached on a small piece of a neighbors property with a livestock fence. I was aware of what I was doing. This small piece land was inaccessible to him due to a cliff and a creek. He stopped by and talked to me about it. He was very nice about it. In Ohio if you take care of someone else's land for ten years you have the legal right to claim that land. He asked to me to sign a paper to be put on file at the county seat saying that although I had fenced in his land in and was taking care of it I had no legal right to claim it. We were both OK with that.

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #256  
After having our lot surveyed , i went back down the line driving the pins in 8'' deeper , then dug up dirt around pins , inserted 1'' pvc pipe over the pins , and poured cement in the holes around the pins & pvc pipe. The pvc pipe sticks up 9' foot high. Makes seeing and sighting the property line easy. First time i also tied orange flagging tape to the tops to help see threw the woods. Neighbor liked that..And i also have several copies of the recorded servey , with title insurence. Also drew out water lines , septic lines & tank location on a servey , with land marks and footage. Incase i forget . :confused:

/ Neighbor removed my property line pin #257  
   / Neighbor removed my property line pin #258  
After having our lot surveyed , i went back down the line driving the pins in 8'' deeper , then dug up dirt around pins , inserted 1'' pvc pipe over the pins , and poured cement in the holes around the pins & pvc pipe. The pvc pipe sticks up 9' foot high. Makes seeing and sighting the property line easy
And probbaly moved the pins by enough that the next survey wont "close"
If the surveyor I interned with had run across that, the crew would have been saying bad things about you all the way back to the office as they would have had to find the next set of pins over if the pins were off...

Aaron Z

I once encroached on a small piece of a neighbors property with a livestock fence. I was aware of what I was doing. This small piece land was inaccessible to him due to a cliff and a creek. He stopped by and talked to me about it. He was very nice about it. In Ohio if you take care of someone else's land for ten years you have the legal right to claim that land. He asked to me to sign a paper to be put on file at the county seat saying that although I had fenced in his land in and was taking care of it I had no legal right to claim it. We were both OK with that.

Interesting bit of info and something I wouldn't hesitate to do if the neighbor wanted it. But I doubt he would. I think he feels his visitor parking is being limited even though I'm not taking anything nor do I want any of his property.

If I did want any of his property, adverse possession comes into play now at the other end of this tree line. This portion of the tree line been in place uncontested for over 15 years which is the time frame for CT. Right now it would be illegal for him to cut ANY branches off the mature trees. Then again he ~could~ cut them anyway and it would become a civil matter...something I'd rather avoid if I can help it. I'll move the trees before I go that route.

After having our lot surveyed , i went back down the line driving the pins in 8'' deeper , then dug up dirt around pins , inserted 1'' pvc pipe over the pins , and poured cement in the holes around the pins & pvc pipe. The pvc pipe sticks up 9' foot high. Makes seeing and sighting the property line easy. First time i also tied orange flagging tape to the tops to help see threw the woods. Neighbor liked that..And i also have several copies of the recorded servey , with title insurence. Also drew out water lines , septic lines & tank location on a servey , with land marks and footage. Incase i forget . :confused:
I like the pvc idea!!...thanks raptor