Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #121  
I would not be pouring those with quickcrete...I think I'd wait if I could not find another sub.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #122  
I would not be pouring those with quickcrete...I think I'd wait if I could not find another sub.

I agree. One thing that is going to happen over and over again is that you will have delays during the course of building your house. It is far better to wait them out and get it done right then to do what you have to in order to get it done and stay on schedule. In the grand scheme of things, the schedule isn't all that big a deal.

Eddie

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder

Agreed. My biggest concern with that option was consistancy of mix, water content, delays between mixes, etc.

I agree. One thing that is going to happen over and over again is that you will have delays during the course of building your house. It is far better to wait them out and get it done right then to do what you have to in order to get it done and stay on schedule. In the grand scheme of things, the schedule isn't all that big a deal.

Eddie

Eddie I would typically agree with your comments about the schedule however on this issue delaying the timberframe is not really an option. Framers have our build in the time slot and are already on site. Also delaying means possibly having to re-fit the entire structure if it sits too long. If we stand the frame and not the outdoor overhangs then we have to pay a crew and crane operator to come back out later for that portion.

I ended up doing some brainstorming last night and we have come up with a solution. Instead of forming the concrete right now we are getting some steel supports fabricated to run from the footings to the bottom of the timbers. After the timbers and supports are set we can come in later and box around the supports for stone veneer.

This actually will work out much better as the concrete pier placement is no longer critical. Footings are 36" and I poured them today up to grade. This shortens the length of the supports and gives us plenty of leeway for where the posts land.

Framers showed up today and started framing the basement. Here's a few pics of the framing along with a few post footings.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #125  
Those are the ties or spacers holding the concrete forms together. They will be removed on the inside.

Edit: outside will need removed as well before waterproofing

i just found this thread. Working for my dad as a young teenager I often got the job of knocking those ties off the wall after a pour. The ones we used had notches top and bottom roughly flush with the wall. One good wack with a mall would bust them off.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #126  
I have been and will be watching this thread closely. We too are on the brink of building a timber framed home. I will post a thread when there is something interesting to talk about.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #127  
i just found this thread. Working for my dad as a young teenager I often got the job of knocking those ties off the wall after a pour. The ones we used had notches top and bottom roughly flush with the wall. One good wack with a mall would bust them off.

Once knocked off the outer ends need to be tarred over as when rusted out that is where water will seep in.
Generally around here a worker wearing one glove will glob some tar over the outside location to totally seal that entry point.
That they do before spraying concrete sealer on the back filled portion of the foundation.

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #128  
Framing is looking good. Nice to see those big headers, and really nice to see those double jack studs on the big openings. I can't make out what they are using to anchor the sill plate to the concrete. Are they using bolts?

Eddie

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder #129  
I can't make out what they are using to anchor the sill plate to the concrete. Are they using bolts?

Eddie

I see anchor bolts sticking up every 4 ?? feet. .

/ Timber Frame Hybrid Home - Owner Builder
I see anchor bolts sticking up every 4 ?? feet. .

Correct. Anchor bolts were set when the foundation was poured.

Picture 107

Framing is looking good. Nice to see those big headers, and really nice to see those double jack studs on the big openings.

Eddie

The subs I'm using for the framing also turn-key a lot of high end houses in the area. They have a good reputation from everyone I've talked to. Let me know if you see anything of concern as we move ahead.

Jeremy