Snow Attachments Snowblowers vs PTO HP

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #91  
But we can't generalize that across every tractor and snowblower combo. If you had 1 HP per inch of the Woods SB54, you'd need 54 HP. That unit has a maximum allowable horsepower of 25 (so you would far exceed it) and I can't imagine that snowblower would be wider than the tire footprint of a tractor with that kind of HP.

Naturally once you get in the much larger machines and the possibility of dual augers I can see a tighter Inch:HP ratio coming into play. At the end of the day, following the manufacturers recommendations seems to be the best course of action.

Kubota BX25 with B2789 rear blower. 51" with 17.7 PTO HP. Works great, with lots of power.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #92  
Well the B2920 now has a 64 inch Puma blower on it. After having 8 inches of that heavy wet snow and blowing it in the rain. The 64 worked very well and didn't plug up ( my old unit would have pluged many times).
I had the 72 inch Puma on the tractor that is 50 inches wide and did find that extra 8 inches hard to move around the yard (gates ,rigs, buildings) hard. It didn't sound like much but I came close...to close several times.
So I drove the tractor to the dealer (30 min) and while I had a coffee they swapped units.

Quite happy with the 64 inch Puma on the 21 PTO HP HST unit.

Al

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #93  
Quite happy with the 64 inch Puma on the 21 PTO HP HST unit.

Al

Glad you're happy with the 64" blower!

Frankly, I'd rather have a 64" blower then my 74" blower. I've got the PTO HP for the 74" unit, but in my circumstances (some close quarters), a 64" blower would have still been wider then my tractor, but narrow enough for good maneuverability.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #94  
I agree. I have a Kubota 51" blower on my BX25, and is plenty big enough. Nor do I ever run out of PTO power.

Here's a video of my BX25 blowing through 30 inches of fairly heavy snow with the 51 inch Kubota blower. Kubota got the design just about right for the hp and blower size with this combination. After the first slow-going full cut (with the blower raised somewhat) I generally resort to partial bites.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #95  
Glad you're happy with the 64" blower!

Frankly, I'd rather have a 64" blower then my 74" blower. I've got the PTO HP for the 74" unit, but in my circumstances (some close quarters), a 64" blower would have still been wider then my tractor, but narrow enough for good maneuverability.

I here ya! That was my issue. A little to much swing for me.

Al

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #96  
Here's a video of my BX25 blowing through 30 inches of fairly heavy snow with the 51 inch Kubota blower. Kubota got the design just about right for the hp and blower size with this combination. After the first slow-going full cut (with the blower raised somewhat) I generally resort to partial bites.

This is why the manufacturer of these (snow casters) in particular-RAD and others need
to offer as standard equipment solid cross augers that would reduce power consumption
and allow the snow to be cast further(as the snow would be augered in smaller amounts more
efficiently and reduce the snow spillage mess to almost zero.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #97  
In tractorgp's video, his blower doesn't look to be throwing the heavy snow all that far, so there's a lot of re-blowing going on. Some of the areas I'm blowing are over 50' wide, so it's nice to have good distance too. This is even more important when "blowing in the wind" (Peter, Paul, & Mary) as when the wind is back at you, it can be hopeless if you try to loft the snow too high. With the deflector down some, you can actually get more distance.

I'm running a front mount B2782 with a UHMW lined chute. The slick non-stick liner actually increases throw distance . . . depending on conditions, of course, I'm seeing well over 50 feet. I'm still noodling over impeller improvements.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #98  
In tractorgp's video, his blower doesn't look to be throwing the heavy snow all that far, so there's a lot of re-blowing going on. Some of the areas I'm blowing are over 50' wide, so it's nice to have good distance too. This is even more important when "blowing in the wind" (Peter, Paul, & Mary) as when the wind is back at you, it can be hopeless if you try to loft the snow too high. With the deflector down some, you can actually get more distance.

I'm running a front mount B2782 with a UHMW lined chute. The slick non-stick liner actually increases throw distance . . . depending on conditions, of course, I'm seeing well over 50 feet. I'm still noodling over impeller improvements.

Interesting bumperm (including pp& m :)) I've used UHMW plastic in other applications where "dry" lubrication was needed - amazing stuff. I've tried spraying vegetable oil on my blower parts previously but hard to judge if it does any good. In the video the top end of the chute, the deflector, was not operable as the linear actuator got damaged. So for the most part with that series of videos I had the deflector locked in one position (up). Not ideal but worked ok. (As I speak I'm adapting a non OEM linear actuator to the snowblower.) Anyway, looks like yours is a front mounted blower and from what I hear and read they generally have a much longer throw distance due to the higher input rpm.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #99  

On my old unit I used a kids plastic slider. The thin plastic ones that roll up.
It worked great and molded to inside with a little heat and cut off the extra. I didn't change the deflector so it was a one piece plastic liner.
Cheap and worked well.

Al

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #100  
I will have get one those sliders to fix the chute and spout on the JD blower I have as
I am not sure the duct tape will stay on the spout.

I am not about to spend $110.00 USD + freight and tax on a new one!!!!