Snow Attachments Snowblowers vs PTO HP

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #83  
It maybe a double auger though.

Hard to say, I don't see 96" listed on their site. Nice looking equipment though. Even if it is double auger, being on the high side of power is way nicer than being underpowered

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #84  
   / Snowblowers vs PTO HP #85  
72" Kubota front-mount blower on L3130 with the mid PTO (32HP with 26HP at the PTO) We "plow" our 680' gravel drive from the top down to our gate. Our drive is steep and has several curves. Throwing the snow is the only way to really be successful because of how much we get. We first bought chains for the rear, loaded R1s only. We have too much crown in our drive, therefore we blow down one side and back up the opposite side, all while trying to avoid scalping the crown and blowing gravel and base rock. The crown also causes the front tires to slide toward the ditches, so we added front chains which have made a positive impact on our "sidehilling" ability! I think the two best benefits to our situation are the HST transmission and the ballast box we added...WOW! That ballast box has made the tractor a new machine!

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #86  
I wanted an up and back solution. In a mega snow situation it may be a wash on time with a smaller blower, but on anything less, it is a huge time saver. 72" front mount on a 39hp (35@ PTO?) Hst tractor. I blew 8" at 3.7 mph and I had 1000 more rpm to give, if I wanted to go faster. I sure don't feel like iv need more HP.

There is a practical "limit" on width, too. So as tractors get bigger, they end up with more HP per foot.

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #87  
54inches/15hp is 3.6 inch/HP (not HP/in).
Lets all keep track of our units... :)

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #88  

Haha - oops. Still a little tipsy from yesterday!

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #89  

My point exactly. I'd rather have 1.2 HP per inch like D7E does than counting in inches per HP. Or would you rather say 0.8 inch per HP?

/ Snowblowers vs PTO HP #90  
My point exactly. I'd rather have 1.2 HP per inch like D7E does than counting in inches per HP. Or would you rather say 0.8 inch per HP?

But we can't generalize that across every tractor and snowblower combo. If you had 1 HP per inch of the Woods SB54, you'd need 54 HP. That unit has a maximum allowable horsepower of 25 (so you would far exceed it) and I can't imagine that snowblower would be wider than the tire footprint of a tractor with that kind of HP.

Naturally once you get in the much larger machines and the possibility of dual augers I can see a tighter Inch:HP ratio coming into play. At the end of the day, following the manufacturers recommendations seems to be the best course of action.