Tractor Sizing HP and loader sizing question

/ HP and loader sizing question #1  

carlhwv

Silver Member
Tractor
Kubota M7040HDC
Currently have a green 3720. Really like it, but i need more power, just not sure how much.

I purchased a nice tract of some pasture, more mature hard wood. Need enough power to skid large 24-36" logs and run a FEL with grapple to load them onto a portable saw mill. Also, need to keep center of gravity as low as possible as I will be doing work ona pretty good slope. Finally, if I can find the right for and it will accept a hoe it would help with the initial work I need to do for the septic field, but this isn't a must have.

Looking for size recommendations for HP/hydro flow rates from anyone who has done similar tasks. Would rather get right size and go used than get a bright new one that is undersized. I like the way the attachments fit on the green ones, but orange, red, and blue are OK if they fit the bill.

Lost the bid at auction on a green 5083 which was probably a good thing. Thinking that one was a bit large, but if could have gotten it for 20K I would have made it work.....;)

I need help.....

Carl

/ HP and loader sizing question #2  
Sounds like you need a Utility class tractor. Something in the 5xxx series if Deere. M series if Kubota. 4xxx series or T4.xx if NH.

Deere is the heaviest in the machines. Kubota is the lightest.

Utility class tractors are generall short wheel based and low center of gravity.

I use my Kubota M9540 with FEL and Grapple working steep timber. Carry a lot of heavy loads with the Grapple. Tractor is amazingly stable.

I bought it new in '12 for $43K.

Utility tractors hold their value very well. Be prepared to pay a premium price for one well kept and moderate hours.

/ HP and loader sizing question #3  
Currently have a green 3720. Really like it, but i need more power, just not sure how much.

I purchased a nice tract of some pasture, more mature hard wood. Need enough power to skid large 24-36" logs and run a FEL with grapple to load them onto a portable saw mill. Also, need to keep center of gravity as low as possible as I will be doing work ona pretty good slope. Finally, if I can find the right for and it will accept a hoe it would help with the initial work I need to do for the septic field, but this isn't a must have.

Looking for size recommendations for HP/hydro flow rates from anyone who has done similar tasks. Would rather get right size and go used than get a bright new one that is undersized. I like the way the attachments fit on the green ones, but orange, red, and blue are OK if they fit the bill.

Lost the bid at auction on a green 5083 which was probably a good thing. Thinking that one was a bit large, but if could have gotten it for 20K I would have made it work.....;)

I need help.....

Carl

Check out the Mahindra 3550, or if you are going used the 5035 (tier 3 version). Not sure if transmission type is important to you, but generally once you end up in the utility class, you cannot get hydrostatic. For precise loader work around a sawmill, I would think that might be important. From what I found, the 3550 is the biggest, heaviest, and most capable machine in the 50 hp class, with a hydrostatic transmission. That's why I have one - the vast majority of my tasks are loader related.

/ HP and loader sizing question #4  
Not sure if transmission type is important to you, but generally once you end up in the utility class, you cannot get hydrostatic. For precise loader work around a sawmill, I would think that might be important.
I haven't found that true at all...

I have a gear tranny in my "sawmill tractor" and it works perfectly around my sawmill...

standard.jpg

To the OP:

IF you have logs THAT big, you better be looking at "utility" tractors, IF you want the "front end" on your tractor to last...

SR

/ HP and loader sizing question #5  

I have a gear tranny in my "sawmill tractor" and it works perfectly around my sawmill...

standard.jpg

To the OP:

IF you have logs THAT big, you better be looking at "utility" tractors, IF you want the "front end" on your tractor to last...

SR

YMMV, but most people find hydro to be easier and more precise than gear, especially on hills.

I concur to look at the construction of the front end when making the choice, knowing that it will be loaded heavy.

/ HP and loader sizing question

standard.jpg

To the OP:

SR

That looks like a big log....mine will be mostly in the 24-30" range with a few up to 36". Pretty sure I need to go utility, just not sure how much HP/hydro flow. On the back end of another post Ovrsvd mentioned his M9540, which interestingly was one I was looking at. Looks like 60 is about max HP range I have found in HST.

When looking at clutch units, knowing operator and use has a lot to do with it, what kind of hour range can I expect to get before a clutch job? Should I be concerned when looking at machine in the 1500-2500 HR range? What about synchro vs power reverser...opinions on either?

/ HP and loader sizing question #7  
That looks like a big log....mine will be mostly in the 24-30" range with a few up to 36". Pretty sure I need to go utility, just not sure how much HP/hydro flow. On the back end of another post Ovrsvd mentioned his M9540, which interestingly was one I was looking at. Looks like 60 is about max HP range I have found in HST.

When looking at clutch units, knowing operator and use has a lot to do with it, what kind of hour range can I expect to get before a clutch job? Should I be concerned when looking at machine in the 1500-2500 HR range? What about synchro vs power reverser...opinions on either?

With a dry plate clutch you need to be very considerate in it's use.

With most late model Utility tractors the clutch is a wet clutch. They will stand a LOT of use and rarely fail.

I also prefer a Hydraulic Shuttle.

Don't worry too much about GPM flow rates. I don't recall you listing any uses that would require a specific amount in the high numbers? My Kubota has 3rd function on the FEL and 3 rear remotes. I never notice a low flow rate. When I've got my hydraulic scarifier Box Blade on and Grapple on the FEL I am using all of my functions, although not all at once.

You are going to have to do some serious, dedicated shopping to find a used tractor to fit your needs. You'll also spend a lot of time and drive a lot of miles looking at "Frogs" before you find a "Prince". :)

Don't pay before you see and run the tractor.

/ HP and loader sizing question #8  
how long are these 24-36" logs? I have a 5055E with the 553 loader.

i could pick up this log 23" on end 26" the other and 23 ftish green oak

005.JPG

but not this one 25"-30" 18ft long (though it was close)

004.JPG

after this elm long dried out a bit i could lift it

the backhoe had no issues

i also wish i had spent the extra ~$3K for the power reverser. i expect at least 1800 hrs from the clutch on this tractor. we had ~ 2400 hrs on the gear tractor we sold last year and had adjusted the clutch pedal twice

/ HP and loader sizing question #9  
My loader tractor above has a dry clutch and still works perfectly... It's NOT about hours, IF you choose the proper gear in the first place, INSTEAD of slipping the clutch all the time, a dry clutch is a non-issue!!

30" logs require a heavy front end and a strong loader, if you are loading unloading them very much...

I PREFER a gear tranny to a hydro, I see NO advantage to the hydro for this size tractor, or around my mill...

SR

/ HP and loader sizing question
My thought I hours refered to looking at used and what I might expect. Thanks for the pics of your 5055. I honk I will have some over the size limit you found. Recognizing:

'30" logs require a heavy front end and a strong loader....'

and not knowing a lot about what I ought to specifically look for on a front end I'm guessing machines in the utility class should have what I need? I need to stay around 30k budget. Does the m7040 have a good enuf front end? Found a place in FL that has some 2014s almost we around 150 hour in budget. Still knowing someone is using a 9540 I the capacity I'm describing is a good positive. Kubota makes a low profile version of this tractor.I can see some pluses on a slope...what is the minus?