Buying Advice Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #31  
Pasted below is some of the spec's of 40 and 30 series. I included the loaders lift capacities.

We found used JD tractors of the same size and HP of the previous model to these tier 4s. With 1000 hours or less, they were priced within 8-6K of the new 30 or 40 series. We couldn't constitute that price for used, with no warranty and gave up on that idea.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

compact Utility Tractor, 4044 series

Weight: 3,770 lbs (dry, no accessories)

Width 72" length 111"

Three point, Category 1, Lift capacity, 24-in. behind link arms, 2500 lb

Loaders lift capacity is 2481

Compact Utility Tractor. 3038 series

Weight: 2,175 lbs (dry, no accessories)

width 60" length 103"

Three point, Category 1 Lift capacity, 24-in. behind link arms, 1356 lb

Loaders lift capacity of 1360 lbs

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #32  
Take a look at Demo tractors or lease returns with low hours, it's a way to save a lot of money. I bought my 07 5303 in 2011 & saved a ton, can actually sell it now for what i paid for it 5 years ago:thumbsup:

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need.
Take a look at Demo tractors or lease returns with low hours, it's a way to save a lot of money. I bought my 07 5303 in 2011 & saved a ton, can actually sell it now for what i paid for it 5 years ago:thumbsup:

Now that I never thought of. Issue is how small the dealership is. Either way, I will ask if they have them.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #34  
I've owned a 3,4 and 5 series tractor. The 5 is a cab and is my current tractor (5075). It all depends on the lift capacity you need. If you can get by with the 3 series, it will be best for cutting your yard since it is the lightest weight and will be easier on your yard. The 4 series has a substantial increase in weight and lift capacity, but you will need to keep it off your lawn unless its extremely dry. It's also a much better tractor for jobs that require a fel or 3ph.

The 5 series is a different animal. It will be too large and waaay to heavy for your yard, but it will have great lifting abilities, and it will be great for "real" tractor work. It also requires a very large gooseneck trailer and 3/4 ton diesel truck to safely transport it with attachments.

There are times I sometimes wish I had a cabbed 3 series for cutting grass and small work. However, I am not in a financial position to have 2 tractors!

Based on what you have described, it sounds like a 4 series will be your best bet for anything other than cutting your yard and other lightweight duties. Definitely go with a cab, and buy all the creature comforts you can afford. Ultimately, I agree that the cabbed mower and additional tractor would be great if you can afford that combination.

I've owned a 3,4 and 5 series tractor. The 5 is a cab and is my current tractor (5075). It all depends on the lift capacity you need. If you can get by with the 3 series, it will be best for cutting your yard since it is the lightest weight and will be easier on your yard. The 4 series has a substantial increase in weight and lift capacity, but you will need to keep it off your lawn unless its extremely dry. It's also a much better tractor for jobs that require a fel or 3ph.

The 5 series is a different animal. It will be too large and waaay to heavy for your yard, but it will have great lifting abilities, and it will be great for "real" tractor work. It also requires a very large gooseneck trailer and 3/4 ton diesel truck to safely transport it with attachments.

There are times I sometimes wish I had a cabbed 3 series for cutting grass and small work. However, I am not in a financial position to have 2 tractors!

Based on what you have described, it sounds like a 4 series will be your best bet for anything other than cutting your yard and other lightweight duties. Definitely go with a cab, and buy all the creature comforts you can afford. Ultimately, I agree that the cabbed mower and additional tractor would be great if you can afford that combination.

Yeah, I think that is the general consensus. I am in the same position as you though. My total budget including attachments and trailer is around 50k. That then has to be paid off before I can build my workshop.

The biggest issue I have with the 4 is the weight for cutting grass. Living in Louisiana, a very dry yard is hard to come by.

I just feel like buying a 3 will be a waste of 40k to me. Will work for some light stuff and not well on others. Would be the best mower but somewhat crappy tractor.

Mind you, I don't need a lot of tractor work but if I do I will need some umph behind it. The 4 would cover everything but might make mowing a chore.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #36  
I've been on 100 HP+ tractors & at times wish they had a little more umph, we'll always push them to the max at times, thankfully for me, it dosen't happen that often.

Ronnie

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #37  
OP, Have you considered your tire choices yet? (sorry had to add a little fuel to the fire!) I have a 5 series Deere and i'll add to the pile that its way to big for any yard work. I do have an L3400 with r-4 and a loader and used to mow my parents yard with it easily with a 3pt rear finish mower. That is about as big of a tractor as I would want in a yard but I really think you need to separate the yard mowing from the other tasks. If you have the budget a lawnmower of your favorite variety is much better suited to mowing the yard that a CUT is. Limiting your tractor size for that one task seems like it would be frustrating on the bigger projects.

OP, Have you considered your tire choices yet? (sorry had to add a little fuel to the fire!) I have a 5 series Deere and i'll add to the pile that its way to big for any yard work. I do have an L3400 with r-4 and a loader and used to mow my parents yard with it easily with a 3pt rear finish mower. That is about as big of a tractor as I would want in a yard but I really think you need to separate the yard mowing from the other tasks. If you have the budget a lawnmower of your favorite variety is much better suited to mowing the yard that a CUT is. Limiting your tractor size for that one task seems like it would be frustrating on the bigger projects.

I understand, the issue I have from the original post is that I have to mow in the AC. I have died 4 times to heat stroke.

Decided to stop that trend. I am torn between the 3 and the 4. The difference in price is doable but I am not sure a 4 will be good mowing. R4 is what I decided with.

/ Tractor buying Advice. 3,4,5 family tractors. Help deciding what I need. #39  
Having one issue with a tractors size, is the same grief we're having. Sorta anyway. The power and lift capacity really go up with the 4 series. But they wiegth so much more, I worry about wet area's we need to work in and one bridge we'd like to cross. Everything in life is a compromise.........

We won't ever consider a cab since we rarly get warm here and our operators need to get on-n-off frequently.

My issue is the same as most here. I know two tractors would be best but with a $500+ note on it. Renting something bigger when needed is just not something I will easily be able to swing.

My next issue is guessing weights. I see myself second guessing weights and using the Fel / loader a lot less for fear of hurting the tractor.

For instance if we are cutting trees into 6 foot chunks to bring to the road, would a 3 bucket lift those safely etc.