which portable generators do people have

/ which portable generators do people have #461  
When I installed my genny panel, I don't remember EVER seeing a breaker interlock, which would have been the way I went due to cost, but I stumbled across a 6-circuit genny panel for really really cheap, so went there.

I'm getting ready to put a genny system on my country property, and by all means it's getting a breaker interlock system on the mains panel instead, I really like that method.

As for that 'undersized' generator some use, if you only have a power outage once in a blue moon, does it make sense to keep a large investment heavy duty unit sitting idle to protect pipes and frozen food, or get one that can run minimal load when forced to. If it's run hard and it's life span is shortened by even as much as 75%, it's still likely to have hundreds of hours more life expectancy than it will EVER be needed. Best insurance money I ever spent was the first genny I bought, we got it because the house where it's at was getting hit w/ power outages weekly for a few hours at a stint due to upstream construction backhoe fade, bought the genny and installed the panel, and have in the past 18 years now had ONE power outage that caused us to drag it out - otherwise it gets religiously run about every 4 months but only to maintenance run it.

/ which portable generators do people have #462  
When I installed my genny panel, I don't remember EVER seeing a breaker interlock, which would have been the way I went due to cost, but I stumbled across a 6-circuit genny panel for really really cheap, so went there.

I'm getting ready to put a genny system on my country property, and by all means it's getting a breaker interlock system on the mains panel instead, I really like that method.

As for that 'undersized' generator some use, if you only have a power outage once in a blue moon, does it make sense to keep a large investment heavy duty unit sitting idle to protect pipes and frozen food, or get one that can run minimal load when forced to. If it's run hard and it's life span is shortened by even as much as 75%, it's still likely to have hundreds of hours more life expectancy than it will EVER be needed. Best insurance money I ever spent was the first genny I bought, we got it because the house where it's at was getting hit w/ power outages weekly for a few hours at a stint due to upstream construction backhoe fade, bought the genny and installed the panel, and have in the past 18 years now had ONE power outage that caused us to drag it out - otherwise it gets religiously run about every 4 months but only to maintenance run it.

That's not what a large unit is for. Cold is a nuisance; heat is a killer. The 1995 Chicago heat wave killed 739 people, and the 2003 European heat wave killed 70,000 people. A heat wave is the big stress on a power system and outages are most likely when wires heat, sag and short out. I heard plenty of horror stories about living without AC after Katrina. Heat + humidity = misery. A 1 kw generator is fine for me to keep the freezer cold and run a TV and the satellite dish for at most 4 hours a day. I never criticize someone who wants a full house generator 24/7. Maybe they need it. I don't live there. It's their climate and their money.

/ which portable generators do people have #463  
I have i fully automatic system because i want house protected from freezing if im away. This week its expected to get to -4f. Cheap insurance against busted water pipes or frozen horse waterers.
Mind you i install these units so it wasnt too expensive, but either way i love the unit. Have had 3 outages in past 3 months. Nearing 20 hours on generator at night in cold.

/ which portable generators do people have #464  
As for that 'undersized' generator some use, if you only have a power outage once in a blue moon, does it make sense to keep a large investment heavy duty unit sitting idle to protect pipes and frozen food, or get one that can run minimal load when forced to. If it's run hard and it's life span is shortened by even as much as 75%, it's still likely to have hundreds of hours more life expectancy than it will EVER be needed.
In 20 years in Boston, we have been without power for a total of two hours.

But after Hurricane Sandy hit the mid Atlantic coastal states, we researched what worked and what did not. Most folks who had generators ran out of fuel in a few days, and even if they had enough gas cans, had to drive 40+ miles for more gas - if their car had not been flooded by salt water. We live in an area that probably will not be flooded (388 years and counting!), but might be an island 12 hours a day when the tide is up.

Normal tidal swing in Boston harbor is about 10 feet and we had a super moon high tide earlier in the winter of 13 feet. Some of the areas in NY were 8-14 feet above normal.

So we set a plan to be able to survive over a week without power, in winter. That necessitated using the smallest possible inverter generators. They are portable so we can also loan them to relatives, and my nephew used one of the EU2000 to keep his house heated, phone charged and a few lights for four days earlier in the winter.

Last edited:
   / which portable generators do people have #465  
So we set a plan to be able to survive over a week without power, in winter. That necessitated using the smallest possible inverter generators. They豎*e portable so we can also loan them to relatives, and my nephew used one of the EU2000逞エ to keep his house heated, phone charged and a fewlights for four days earlier in the winter.
Kinda where I am at... with a gas 3kW gen, and 250gal of propane for heat, we feel we can live comfortably for two weeks easily (including other provisions) whenever it may hit. Minimally probably longer. If I procured a larger gen to power the well, then we are business for the long haul. Thanks to my wife's victory garden. :salute:

/ which portable generators do people have #466  
That raises an interesting question, should I convert my Northstar 10,000 to propane for reliability or not? Currently gasoline, and has worked extremely well since purchased for Y2K.......red face.... embarrassment....
Been trying to rid our home of 220volt appliances, first to go was 50 gal hot water tank to a Rinnai 98i on demand, been working flawlessly so far and it's 110 volts. Can't change deep well, but clothes dryer is next on our list, or convert to propane? Probably should just buy propane unit so as to not explode our home. Earlier home in Greenwich we buried a 1000 gal tank, here, back in Salem we installed an above ground 1000. On both, thought was, one fill up in August takes care of whole year, that's what I like $ .85 gal propane. Should explain, member of Galway CO-OP the largest energy CO-OP in the nation with 8000 members and counting. This is fantastic to have this capacity in all, but I being gone at work week at a time, this switch over falls on Deb's shoulders. She's not a real fan of switching box over, flipping breakers, starting unit, while maintaining system during power failures. She has been showing me Generacs
"On Sale" so I can see where this is going.. mo money...
I would probably track down propane conversion for the Briggs twin V 16 hp. Originally, I was looking for generator panel with elaborate switching, went to Hill Electric in Glen's Falls, Mike showed me a Murry panel box that did the very same thing, disconnected grid and energized auxillary power lines from barn. Just a $3.00 metal bracket fits over transfer main breakers to gen panel, works fantastic for $60 instead of $500. At that time added exhaust pipe to Northstar thru the wall of barn, now, barn is being removed so gen is just in door way ready for use. A little less convenient but gets the job done in a pinch.

/ which portable generators do people have #467  
FWIW one of the problems people had during the extended Hurricane Sandy outage was drying clothes. Our dryer and heat is gas, so we can wash and dry clothes even with the little Hondas, I think. Along with 240V we gt the B&S Q6500 to be sure we could run a window unit and sthen me other items.

/ which portable generators do people have #468  
You know, a piece of rope and some cloths pins works pretty good!! Even if it has to be in a garage or out building...

My wife prefers to hang cloths out to dry, even though we do have a dryer...

SR

/ which portable generators do people have #469  
You know, a piece of rope and some cloths pins works pretty good!! Even if it has to be in a garage or out building...

My wife prefers to hang cloths out to dry, even though we do have a dryer...

SR

I have used the garage in the pinch and then finished them off hanging in the living room at my previous house. The wife says I can not put up a clothes line at this house but what does she know? I just haven’t figured the best location yet.

/ which portable generators do people have #470  
I always believed a 500 gallon propane tank was good insurance and it had been for decades before the bear population exploded.

Bears are now notorious for breaking off regulators and lines... I lost the contents of a recently filled tank due to bears... the bear came back but I had the supply on the tank turned off.

Found out it is now a common occurrence....

Just another thing to think about... glad no one was smoking are static electricity or lightening strike with all that gas escaping and no one home.