which portable generators do people have

/ which portable generators do people have #481  
   / which portable generators do people have #482  
Well my 7K gas house generator just finished a 30 hour workout. My first extended outage since I moved to this house. I was going to switch the house over to my farm 3K diesel Yanmar which I never have done before to save fuel. However, it has a 20 Amp 3 prong (one flat prong horizontal, one flat prong vertical and then a ground) outlet rather than the 4 prong 30A my other generator has. I do not know if there is a simple adapter or not. A few things I noticed:

-Microwave worked but sounded different. Almost a slow cycling sound.
-Comcast stayed operating for TV, internet and land line.
-Whoever figured out which circuits need emergency power did a good job.
-With the wood insert running the house stayed comfortable, outside temp around 30

/ which portable generators do people have #483  
Well my 7K gas house generator just finished a 30 hour workout. My first extended outage since I moved to this house. I was going to switch the house over to my farm 3K diesel Yanmar which I never have done before to save fuel. However, it has a 20 Amp 3 prong (one flat prong horizontal, one flat prong vertical and then a ground) outlet rather than the 4 prong 30A my other generator has. I do not know if there is a simple adapter or not. A few things I noticed:

-Microwave worked but sounded different. Almost a slow cycling sound.
-Comcast stayed operating for TV, internet and land line.
-Whoever figured out which circuits need emergency power did a good job.
-With the wood insert running the house stayed comfortable, outside temp around 30
Yeah some pretty big winds for us on the Hood Canal. We lost power a couple times for short periods, but not long enough to need to fire up the genny. Did go out for pizza last night and had to detour into town and back because of downed trees... made for a much longer journey and pretty dark traveling on the backroads. Enjoyed watching the huge waves during the day and the few brave souls were out on the canal though.

/ which portable generators do people have #484  
Lots of power issues in the PNW from the recent cold snap.

Downed trees seem to account for most local outages... my renters did buy a generator and use the gen panel that is wired for critical circuits.

At least when tree causes a power outage in Western WA the chances of a Napa valley inferno don't exist...

Snow around the SF Bay Area with temps in the 20's... projected.

My nephew had his 16th birthday celebrated yesterday... the power was out briefly out so I fired up the small pedestal wood stove in the family room... the kids loved it... it was nice and toasty with a few sticks of oak... the stove thermometer hovered around 550 all evening... last week the temps were pushing 80 and tonight in the 20's...

A little off topic but to avoid power outages due to wind and trees there is a serious proposal to surcharge all rural power in wooded areas to pay for mitigation... the way things are going it just might happen in the wake of the Napa fire... after all the Utility is too big to fail so it will fall on the ratepayers.

Pays to be prepared...

/ which portable generators do people have #485  
At least when tree causes a power outage in Western WA the chances of a Napa valley inferno don't exist...

Not yet anyway. Summers are getting awfully dry, it is not unusual to see virtually no rain for 4 months.

/ which portable generators do people have #486  
Not yet anyway. Summers are getting awfully dry, it is not unusual to see virtually no rain for 4 months.
Yeah, kinda nice. But I still need to go south a few times in the winter to recede the webbing between my toes! In fact leaving tomorrow for Phoenix and Napa for 12 days but looks like my timing is bad. Not going to be warm, dang it! But I am pretty sure won't need a generator at least. :D

/ which portable generators do people have #487  
Yeah some pretty big winds for us on the Hood Canal. We lost power a couple times for short periods, but not long enough to need to fire up the genny. Did go out for pizza last night and had to detour into town and back because of downed trees... made for a much longer journey and pretty dark traveling on the backroads. Enjoyed watching the huge waves during the day and the few brave souls were out on the canal though.

I face more or less south so those North winds were a treat for me other than the trees are not used to cold winds from Canada and get snappy in that situation and cause power outages. I get the South Pineapple Express winds face first.

Someone’s float covered in mussels from under their dock washed up on my beach. I thought it was mine at first then I remembered we did not get hit with strong winds.

/ which portable generators do people have #488  

It seems to always have some precipitation in Olympia... although the summers are very spectacular... even had a few Thunder storms in recent memory.

Hope it stays the Evergreen State forever.

When I relocate... probably will bite the bullet and buy a Honda... not whole house to supply the 400 amp panel... but to cover everything but the electric central Heat...

Thinking of adding propane for two burners and maybe a master fireplace...

/ which portable generators do people have #489  
here in north idaho the trees are always falling down on powerlines. the last storm a few years ago snapped 3500 power poles. instead of trimming trees, the utilities are installing steel power poles. easier to repair lines as long as the poles dont snap off. up here all the power lines are snaked thru trees. heck, old houses even have their house drops attached to trees directly. ive had now 3 long power outages this season all due to tree falls. the longest was 8 hours.

i was stuck on a mountain road last sunday when a HUGE tree dropped down accross power lines and snapped pole. this tree was 3' diameter and probably 60 feet tall. my puny truck stored chain saw wasnt going to help out.....then again i wouldnt even try it as it was into power lines. i waited inline with the other drivers until the local utility killed power and cut out tree (took about 2 hours). there was no other way out of this canyon. the road ended up at the lake.

/ which portable generators do people have #490  
Yep... still have one home with the power drop AND the meter box on a Ponderosa Pine... (What's left to the Pine that is)

Pine died years ago and the power company took the top 80' of it and left a 12' tall stump...

The drop is strung from tree to tree to reach the meter box.

Never seen anything like it... built in the mountains circa 1960