Do I need a general contractor to build a house?

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #141  
OK, I DIY'd our present home and still have no regrets as it came within budget and expectations.
Only downfall is that I developed a water problem after 20 years.
While I have French drains and did provide a pit for a sump pump I only developed water infiltration issues after 20 years.
But back then the norm was clean stone over the french drain (or straw) but B4 filter sleeves on the drain pipe.

OK, I added a sump pump* and good to go unless a power failure but with a generator I have that covered, (as long as I'm home)
*had even provided a 'hole in the wall' for output.

Oh and I did all my own electrical work (inspected and signed off) all way above code.
But I was aviation endorsed in electric and avionics so I knew where I was going.

Must also add that I drew up detailed plans on my kitchen table and they were approved at first presentation.
My trick was to give them more detailed info that was actually required like many detailed side blow ups and a list of specifications.
At that time my plans were approved within a week.
My only trade accreditations are all in aviation and still are after many more building projects.

My first DIY build was at age 20 when I built a log cabin on crown land and that cabin is still occupied today but after a few additions. LOL back then no permits were required. All that construction called for boating all supplies as we had no road back then but later on that was addressed when we DIY'd our own road and had it approved to city standards.

Last edited:
   / Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #142  
As you said, it can be done.....but it is exceedingly rare for a basic homeowner to pull off a custom build, or even a simple one, with no experience. Now if a person has some background in construction, then that is a totally different matter....

And yes, large corporate builders are worse than none in most cases. And I'd still be curious how much you actually save. Post back when you're done and let us know....

Once again, good luck!
I would also put my own build up against any builder, without hesitation. Now if you mean someone who has never held a hammer before and says "sounds like fun to build my own house!" then yeah, I would agree it is not going to come out well 99.99% of the time. But you do realize the audience you are talking to here on TBN, right? This is one of the most hands-on and capable groups of people you will find on the net. To come in here and say "nobody can build their own house and have it come out decent" is a rather foolish statement to make to this crowd.

I see your point, but I think you are sort of "accusing" the wrong audience about it, so yeah, expect the push back.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #143  
Not to sound like an ass, but: if you have to ask if you can do it, you probably don’t have the skills and knowledge to pull it off.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #144  
Not to sound like an ass, but: if you have to ask if you can do it, you probably don’t have the skills and knowledge to pull it off.
Everything requires some learning. We are born not knowing much - certainly not the ability to build a modern house.

But truth is that all those building skills are pretty simple to acquire. Especially withthe level of craftsmanship and ability that is common on this TBN forum.

So I predict that the OP won't save any money and it will take longer the first time he GCs his own house. He will get more what he wants since he can make on-the-fly design changes. He shouldn't do that, but he will..... and he will be able to set the build schedule to match his own.

The second house the OP does he will save a bundle....time and money both. Probably save enough to build a third with minimal mortgage. Or maybe no mortgage at all.
rScotty

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house?
Asking others who have built one themselves is a way to learn from others' mistakes. That doesn't make me incapable, it helps me to avoid others' mistakes. I was asking for advice from others who have built their own homes not an uneducated guess as to my capabilities.

Quote:
1645189933874.png

I designed it in 3D and I made many, many changes. I had my wife review it so we were aligned before sending it off to an architect to have it laid out and stamped. I expect some minor errors within the design or the execution of it but my changes and updates were done months ago.

Last edited:
   / Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #148  
I would also put my own build up against any builder, without hesitation. Now if you mean someone who has never held a hammer before and says "sounds like fun to build my own house!" then yeah, I would agree it is not going to come out well 99.99% of the time. But you do realize the audience you are talking to here on TBN, right? This is one of the most hands-on and capable groups of people you will find on the net. To come in here and say "nobody can build their own house and have it come out decent" is a rather foolish statement to make to this crowd.

I see your point, but I think you are sort of "accusing" the wrong audience about it, so yeah, expect the push back.
I knew that this group was pretty tractor savvy, but actually didn't realize that the TBN group was so skilled in homebuilding.....

I can only speak from my experience and it has been with 'wanna-be's' who think building a house is easy. I have no problem with the push back, I was just stating my opinion and I believe it to be 'generally' correct. Of course there are carpenters and ex-builders who can build a house along with and better than some working GC's.

I hope the OPs project turns out fantastic for him and his wife...... but if we were taking bets, I would bet a lot that his budget and schedule are going to be waaaay off.

Once again, just my .02....(lots of touchy folks on here...:)

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #149  
On my first DIY build the neighbor complained that my septics and shed was on her land.
The jokes on her, when I sold it naturally a survey was needed, and that showed that her staircase and paths to the waterfront were clearly well inside my property and (by luck) all my buildings and installations were well within current setbacks.
And that was B4 the many of today's regulations.
Heck when I built that house not even a single permit was required.

/ Do I need a general contractor to build a house? #150  
As a longtime GC, I would say absolutely you 'can' run a project as an Owner/Builder. The hardest part as mentioned is getting and running the subs. But it depends on the level of quality you desire as well. There is no way you can achieve the level of quality that a GC with years of experience can produce. No way.

I've personally never seen a Owner/Builder home come out very well, and I can walk through and pick to pieces all the errors and mistakes....but if you just want a 'kinda good' house (which most people are frankly ok with) then you will be fine.

And if you're doing this for the experience, that's great, but if you're thinking you will save that 20%, you're probably gonna be very disappointed. Too many moving parts you will miss, and time is money....... plus the subs will take advantage of you and you have no way to catch it....
I suppose you're right, to a degree. Unfortunately, I've seen too many questionable GC's in my time, and I worked a VERY short time for a couple of them. Even the best of the best leave some "punch list" worthy items either undone, or poorly done. I does depend on the GC as well as their sub's. We personally didn't have any sub issues on our home build. I guess that's mostly because we didn't have any except for a septic installer. Yes, he was a couple of weeks late (certainly less late than most I've seen), but the system was done properly and has worked without issue since new, even the septic pump is still hanging in there! I did the rest either myself, or with the help of a few experienced friends. From the excavation to the roof, to the finishes. The only thing I'll still ***** about is that I shouldn't have built the kitchen cabinets out of pine. Oh well, I have failed! Anyway you look at it, I saved about $40K by doing it myself.