Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?

Status
Not open for further replies.
   / Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #521  
I also suggest that the mathematical comparisons should take into account the gas taxes us ICE drivers pay that is used ( at least in Canada) for the road maintenance all drivers get to use. So since we are talking about the future. As ICE drivers are forced off the highways over the next ten years, Governments will have no choice but transfer those taxes to Electricity use at homes and any future fast chargerstations on highways. So don't assume electricity rates won't have to be taxed dramatically and included in the math ! And unfortunately all the other users of electricity ( homeowners, commercial etc) will also be paying these tax increases for any all encompassing battery car future ...Perhaps hydrogen is a much better future for cars after all, if the bigger picture impacts are taken into account.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #522  
I also suggest that the mathematical comparisons should take into account the gas taxes us ICE drivers pay that is used ( at least in Canada) for the road maintenance all drivers get to use. So since we are talking about the future. As ICE drivers are forced off the highways over the next ten years, Governments will have no choice but transfer those taxes to Electricity use at homes and any future fast chargerstations on highways. So don't assume electricity rates won't have to be taxed dramatically and included in the math ! And unfortunately all the other users of electricity ( homeowners, commercial etc) will also be paying these tax increases for any all encompassing battery car future ...Perhaps hydrogen is a much better future for cars after all, if the bigger picture impacts are taken into account.
Yep. I never complained about road tax on gas. If you don't like it, burn less gas. But as you clearly stated, tax on electricity will have no way to be sorted by what car you drive. So for the first decade, possibly two decades, everyone will be paying so the EV owners can charge their vehicle.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #523  
My guess is in the future they will eventually come up with either a required annual odometer check or a device that reads mileage on ALL cars and charge road taxes based on that.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #524  
Strawman argument. Use ICE vehicle to travel long distances.
I don't think our taxes should pay for EV charging infrastructure either. Have states or cities decide if they want to fund these with local taxes.
The global warming science is absolutely false and borders on a cult religion. Gloom and doom climate shamans have been predicting the end of the world since the 70's with bad results.
Personally I bought my EV for convenience of charging at home and to spread my fuel dependencies across three areas, gas, diesel, and electric.
I love how you immediately assume just " USE ICE VEHICLES FOR LONG DISTANCES) forgetting that new ICE vehicles will be banned, .....and your assuming we all should have two vehicles, (one of each) and considering any long distance driving requires confidence in reliable vehicle, our second vehicle ( the ICE one) will have to be reliably new. But keep assuming while my gas taxes pay for the highway your driving on.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #525  
My guess is in the future they will eventually come up with either a required annual odometer check or a device that reads mileage on ALL cars and charge road taxes based on that.
As with almost everything in this country, the method of payback should have been determined before the 1st EV was licensed. But it won't be implemented until society raises hell about their electric rates. By then the power companies will be screaming Bankruptcy and our government will tell us it's our moral responsibility to save our infrastructure and pay higher rates,,,, all of us,,,,, not EV owners!!!! After all they are already doing their part to save the Planet. How dare us common folk complain.... :)

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV?
Let's do the math...

The cost to fuel an ICE car is about 15 cents per mile. The cost to fuel an EV is about 4 cents.

In ten years, most folks put 200,000 miles on a car, so $30,000 in fuel for the ICE, and $8,000 for the EV. That's $22,000 savings in fuel.

Now add in the maintenance costs for an ICE car... Oil, oil filters, air filters, spark plugs & wires, periodic tune-ups, transmission maintenance, brakes... If you pay about $400/year for parts & labor on those maintenance tasks, over 10 years, you've saved $4,000 more, for a total of $26,000, so it comes out even.

$26K sounds like a pile of money, but since you buy your fuel $60 at a time, that seems small until you add up 10 years worth of those fill-ups plus maintenance.

(BTW, before somebody calls me out on the brake maintenance... My EV is on the original factory pads at just over 50,000 miles, and they've still got 3/8" left on them. I *might* have to replace them at 150,000 miles.)
The inflated price of the care makes the $26 seem like chump change

To get my wife an EV vs her gas vehicle. We would of payed probably $30-40k more in initial purchase price.

I currently drive a 10 year old van for a work car. While I spend $100 a week in gas. It would take 9.6 years to break even on purchasing a new EV to replace it

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #527  
Yep. I never complained about road tax on gas. If you don't like it, burn less gas. But as you clearly stated, tax on electricity will have no way to be sorted by what car you drive. So for the first decade, possibly two decades, everyone will be paying so the EV owners can charge their vehicle.
In Indiana, currently, it's:
Indiana: $150 annual fee for EVs; it’s $50 for hybrids and PHEVs.

Indiana has a gasoline tax, a gasoline sales tax, and a federal tax. We pay around 74 cents per gallon in taxes.

200 gallons of gas times 75 cents = $150

Average car in Indiana averages 18,000 miles per year.

IF it got 30mpg, and it doesn't, it would use 600 gallons.

The taxes on 600 gallons of gas in Indiana is $450.

$450 - $150 = $300

So we're losing $300 per year in taxes on average per EV.

I'm guessing EVs drive less, but 2/3 less?

There has to be a more fair way to assess taxes on EVs than just some arbitrary number like $150.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #529  
The global warming science is absolutely false and borders on a cult religion. Gloom and doom climate shamans have been predicting the end of the world since the 70's with bad results.

Only back in the 70s it was global cooling. I remember the headlines well. Another ice age on the way, just because we'd had a few years with cooler than normal temperatures.

/ Yesterday. Would you buy and EV? #530  
Strawman argument. Use ICE vehicle to travel long distances.
Exactly. Seems odd to me that so many people think we all have to be at one extreme or the other on this topic.

I'm not claiming EVs will save the world. I'm simply willing to try something new and share my experience with others.

Our EVs are commuters & grocery gitters. That's 90% of what we do. We've still got an ICE for long road trips and a couple of ICE tractors to manage our land.

I'm chuckling as I imagine what this board would've looked like in 1910 as the wackos pushing tractors clashed with the horse loyalists.

Status
Not open for further replies.