Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #111  
I went from a very used dodge dakota to a new Chevy 2500hd 6.0 4x4 in 2005, and sold that, and drove a very used Toyota highlander (and found a small trailer can replace a pickup), then sold that and bought a used 2019 Ram 1500 in late 2019. I really liked the 2500, but found 95% of the time, it was just a commuter vehicle, and gas/repairs were killing me. I now have a work vehicle, so my truck only gets as little as 10-15,000 miles per year, and I have wondered about finding an 2003-06 6.0 4x4. I do miss the pay load, but trailering, for everything under 8,000 lbs, I think the 1500 Ram does just fine.

Those 'cat eye' chevys are hot items with the teenagers, so finding an unmolested one is dang hard.

Son has a 2003 Chevy 1500HD 2WD, with the 6.0L, and it's funny how unresponsive it seems after driving both my 5.7, and multiple work trucks with the 5.7.

Also, 65% done with upper control arms, inner-out tie rods, pitman arm, idler arm/bracket, lower ball joints, on son's truck, and I remember I dont much like Having to work on a vehicle. It was 102 degrees the other day, and there were literally fire ants in my butt crack, while I was under the truck, trying to beat that pitman arm... the tools all were burning hot in the sun... don't know if I call that 'fun' anymore

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #112  
Can't figure one thing about "modern" trucks and towing.

Leave me explain -- Please. Do we need 800+ horsepower in a pickup??

Back in the 70's I hauled combines with a White Compact with CF 160 Cummins. Also hauled equipment with a 3/4 ton Ford F250 with a 354ci 120 horse Perkins diesel. When the Cummins in the White "died" (The boss himself spun a main bearing) The boss bought a larger White 9000 series I believe with a NH 220 Cummins.
Back in the 40's the fellow I worked for worked for a garage that had a contract with Tidewater freight. They hauled freight with Ford trucks that were equipped with flat head V8s with what 85 or 110 horses?

Even now most of the over the road tractors don't have the horses that modern pickups do.

Might be great to brag about a barnful of horses, but they need to eat.

Yep, as a young "kid" my first car was a 150 horse Corvair, 2nd was a 318 Charger with 340 cam and 4 barrel carb, 3rd was a 383 RT Challenger. One thing they all had in common was power AND 10 mpg. Of course that is when gas was cheap!!
Some people need HP and torque. Some people want HP and torque. To some their truck is nothing but a status symbol. OTR trucks just need to go forward on paved roads. Some people need to hook up a cattle trailer in the mud and haul 15 head out of the field or load up round bales and drive them into the field. Other people need smart phone chargers, giant screens and 1000ftlb of torque to get 3 bags of mulchhfrom the home depot.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #113  
Have to agree
Some people need HP and torque. Some people want HP and torque. To some their truck is nothing but a status symbol. OTR trucks just need to go forward on paved roads. Some people need to hook up a cattle trailer in the mud and haul 15 head out of the field or load up round bales and drive them into the field. Other people need smart phone chargers, giant screens and 1000ftlb of torque to get 3 bags of mulchhfrom the home depot.
“I have more than you have”, self aggrandizement…
Its all the “me show” today.

People that impress me are the ones that do more with less, not less with more.

Last edited:
   / Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #114  
I am fixing to order one of those, without the sun or moon roof. Do I turn in my card when I order it or when it is delivered? Also, who do I turn it in to, you or the dealership?
Some might say a real man wouldn't need AC or power windows....

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck

Back in the 70's I hauled combines with a White Compact with CF 160 Cummins. Also hauled equipment with a 3/4 ton Ford F250 with a 354ci 120 horse Perkins diesel. When the Cummins in the White "died" (The boss himself spun a main bearing) The boss bought a larger White 9000 series I believe with a NH 220 Cummins.
Back in the 40's the fellow I worked for worked for a garage that had a contract with Tidewater freight. They hauled freight with Ford trucks that were equipped with flat head V8s with what 85 or 110 horses?

Even now most of the over the road tractors don't have the horses that modern pickups do.

Yep, as a young "kid" my first car was a 150 horse Corvair, 2nd was a 318 Charger with 340 cam and 4 barrel carb, 3rd was a 383 RT Challenger. One thing they all had in common was power AND 10 mpg. Of course that is when gas was cheap!!

The truck I bought is almost 5 years old. It's rated 450 HP/935 lb.ft. The new ones coming out today have 475/1050 standard with 500/1200 optional.

Do we need that much power? No. My ancestors got a lot of work done with a couple of mules and a poorly nailed together wooden cart.

The old trucks you're talking about were much like those mules and cart. They got the work done. But they did it slow. Very slow. And it took more trips to move the same material.

It sure is nice in 2023 to sit in a comfortable seat, with A/C blowing on my face on a hot day, with several tons of weight behind me, cruising in top overdrive gear effortlessly and sipping fuel. Truck isn't even working hard, it's a lot safer on the road, and it saves time and money. I mean, 13 MPG with a massive load behind me? 30 years ago a truck wouldn't get 13 MPG totally unloaded on a trip to the grocery store.

I have a special place in my heart for the trucks I had in the 1980s and 90s. But I would never go back. Never.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #116  

Have to agree

“I have more than you have”, self aggrandizement…
Its all the “me show” today.

People that impress me are the ones that do more with less, not less with more.

If you think about it, do any of us need anything we have? Many people do just fine without tractor’s or trucks or side by sides, I’m guessing we don’t need them but they are what we work for. I didn’t work hard to just sit in the couch and watch the TV I don’t even really need because in the old days nobody had TVs.

What if some of us just like horsepower? I like it, I don’t buy anything to impress you or anyone else, I buy what I want to buy because it is my money.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #118  
Some might say a real man wouldn't need AC or power windows....
I guess that I’m not a real man then. It may not get hot up here the way that it does in other places but I like my AC… sometimes it can make the difference between calling it a day or going out and working a couple more hours after getting cooled down.
I used to jump into a stream to accomplish the same thing, but first had to find a stream.
People that impress me are the ones that do more with less, not less with more

I agree to a point. Where I draw the line though is when they are doing more with not enough… i.e., pulling a 10,000 lb trailer through town at 5:00 PM behind a 1/2 ton pickup with no trailer brakes. And it wasn’t even his trailer he was pulling behind his company truck.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #119  
I have been a Ram guy since way before Ram was a thing. My current truck is a 2021 Ram 3500 DRW with the "Max Tow" package. It came factory with the 50 gal tank, 4.10 gears, 4WD, Cummins 6.7L HO, Aisin Transmission, and the Ram Air Ride (auto leveling airbags). It also came with the Ram puck system for 5th wheel hitches or goosneck ball. I pull a 2021 Alliance Valor 40V13 triple axle toy hauler, that is very heavy. I also have a 35+5 22GN Big Tex goose neck trailer, for my tractor and such. This truck has been amazing. For me, my needs dictate a dual rear wheel truck, and this Ram 3500 tows like a freight train. It will, however, beat your fillings out driving it daily, with no load... very rough.
Get it deleted if you don’t have to go thru emission testing in your area. You will be amazed at the HP currently not being used.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #120  
Get it deleted if you don’t have to go thru emission testing in your area. You will be amazed at the HP currently not being used.
We don't have any emissions testing in SC. I own the truck too, not financed. I'm concerned about the delete procedure, because of my AISIN transmission. I'm understanding that there is no way to "tune" the transmission, and I don't know any shop around that will provide a "tune" for the computer, to make the engine think that the emission stuff is still intact. I want to get rid of the emissions stuff, to help keep the oil cleaner... these things are DIRTY!!!!