Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #121  
It sure is nice in 2023 to sit in a comfortable seat, with A/C blowing on my face on a hot day, with several tons of weight behind me, cruising in top overdrive gear effortlessly and sipping fuel. Truck isn't even working hard, it's a lot safer on the road, and it saves time and money. I mean, 13 MPG with a massive load behind me? 30 years ago a truck wouldn't get 13 MPG totally unloaded on a trip to the grocery store.

I have a special place in my heart for the trucks I had in the 1980s and 90s. But I would never go back. Never.
Actually, my '93 7.3L F250 ext cab long bed got 18 mpg driving up and down the road. My 2000 F350 crew cab (7.3PSD) does better at passing on the interstate, but even though it was NA, the '93 would haul a load better. My 7.3 PSD also gets slightly worse fuel economy (16 mpg), but both got/get 10 to 12 when I'm towing (8K camper or equipment trailer with 8K to 10K on it). The '93 also had much better suspension for towing. That made for a rougher ride going back and forth to work though. I haven't kept tabs on what trucks are getting in regards to fuel mileage for several years now, but as of around 2015 I still had never personally seen a 3/4 or 1 ton truck that got over 19mpg, and most were in the 15 to 17 range.

As far as diesels go, the EPA killed them in 2007. Absolutely no one has built one that requires DEF that is worth owning. When my truck finally rusts to the point that I need to upgrade, it will be a question of now new of an F350 can I drop a 6BT into.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #122  
The HD trucks have a stiffer suspension and chassis. When you tow, you want the stiffest chassis available.

The dually offers stability that single wheels just dont have

When I bought our horse camper, the salesman said our F250HD would tow it fine. He was correct, it towed it but even with the trailer empty, I felt the rear end lean in very gentle curves. A trip across the scales showed the truck rear axle was 500 pounds overweight even with the trailer empty. I bought a C3500 dually, and it is rock solid stable.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #123  
Keep your tailgate off or open for an easy 1+ mpg better on highway if don’t have bed cover. Also better vis our back with gate off. Put on when needed. 2000 Silverado 2500 6.0

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #125  
I have a Chevy 1992 3500 dually with a 350 and auto trans…. I have pulled a 6k goodeneeck with a 16k Dynahoe backhoe on it. I went less than 15 miles and never over 50mph but only because I worried about a fault on electric brakes. They will pull more than rated.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #126  
I can pull more than I'm rated for, but that doesn't mean I won't regret it.

At least Tylenol relatively cheap.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #127  
I can pull more than I'm rated for, but that doesn't mean I won't regret it.
I can definitely relate.

Bad knees since I was two, and screwed my back up at 18. If there's one thing my dad has right, it's him somewhat frequently telling me that a stupid head will make the whole body suffer.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #128  
Let's just say misshapen kneecaps weren't something they looked for at MEPS when I joined the Army; hell, I didn't even know they were a thing, let alone that I had them, until it was well too late.

🤣

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #129  
Here is something to consider since you are having a hard time finding something that will pull, just buy a Peterbuilt, or Freightliner and pull anything including your house right off the foundation.

/ Moving from 1/2 ton truck to HD truck #130  
Here is something to consider since you are having a hard time finding something that will pull, just buy a Peterbuilt, or Freightliner and pull anything including your house right off the foundation.

Is he married? Are you a divorce lawyer?

🤣