Buying Advice Cab or no cab?

/ Cab or no cab? #251  
I found the real solution to cab or no cab...

1000001332.jpg

/ Cab or no cab? #252  
A big part of a tractor purchase is the dealer support.
Maybe with the “lesser” brands. Other than stopping by the nearest dealer (4 miles away) for filters, when it’s time for an oil change, My 2004 John Deere 4120 (purchased new) hasn’t required any dealer support.
F8A65ECC-4F90-46AD-BD2A-28BFD7D01A6E.jpeg

/ Cab or no cab? #253  
Maybe with the “lesser” brands. Other than stopping by the nearest dealer (4 miles away) for filters, when it’s time for an oil change, My 2004 John Deere 4120 (purchased new) hasn’t required any dealer support.
View attachment 817827
So you've gotten lucky.
"Lesser" brands do not have much to do w anything as far as repair but if something goes wrong with any brand tractor, would you want a dealer with their thumbs up you know where or one that is fully knowledgeable and close by to be able to "support" the breakdown?
Also, the word "dealer support" does not only apply to repair.
Some bring their tractors in for hourly servicing as well.
"Dealer support" can also encompass the purchasing of expendables or going there and talking with a rep or technician or a tech coming to your place for simple fixes.
Not everyone is handy with a tool in their hands.
Congrats on not having your tractor to be trailered back to the dealer where a delivery fee of $200 is not usurped by a dealer 200 miles away.
May you experience continued success but you do know you may have just haunted yourself :)

Last edited:
   / Cab or no cab? #254  

View attachment 817805
I drove skidders that were not this hard to get in and out of.
But with all the obstacles for simple entry and egress, I would want this tractor to be remote controlled.
It is a safe machine for woods work. I guess once the driver is in this thing, he's in like a mummy in a sarcophagus .

Last edited:
   / Cab or no cab? #255  
With age and use, tractors can start needing repairs. Hopefully, it's something simple that can be done without the dealer, but having the option to get a dealer to make the repair is a plus.

/ Cab or no cab? #256  

View attachment 817805
Interesting amount of work done to protect the cab.

What I'd like to see is the conversion of an open station tractor to a cab with HVAC that also would stand up to brush.

The factory cab models are nice if someone is operating in an open field, but they really aren't designed to deal with brush. I've wondered how the OP is going to fare with his cab in his woods?

/ Cab or no cab? #257  
If you're managing your very own property, use a pole saw and clear access roads and such and prepare it the way you like it. I think the cab in the wood problem is way overthinked.

/ Cab or no cab? #258  
I think the shiny pretty cab would sell better than what I personally feel would be a more practical cab design.

/ Cab or no cab? #259  
If you're managing your very own property, use a pole saw and clear access roads and such and prepare it the way you like it. I think the cab in the wood problem is way overthinked.
Bringing a pole saw into the woods here in the North East is a big "overthink" for me.
and every skidder I operated had a cab....but no glass.

The discussion of cabbed or no cab as it applies to woods work, has everything to do with the density of said woods.
The op should do just fine in the open woods of Florida with his cabbed machine.
Then there is the operator themselves and how they are wired.
If one is careful and deliberate, just about anything would work. But if you're a bull in a mine field (me), you'd destroy that glass in a cab first time out in dense woods as we have here..

/ Cab or no cab? #260  
I'm also leery of manufacturers placing hydraulic lines and filters under the tractor like these on my recently acquired MX. You can see where the vegetation has rubbed the paint off the hydraulic lines.

The Mahindra 3535's hydraulic filter and lines were mounted above the transmission casing.

mx lines.jpg