Buying Advice Cab or no cab?

/ Cab or no cab? #281  
What's the drive train in that old John Deere????
A lot of the guy's that have the old JD"S say they
are great but what company really made the tractor???

willy

/ Cab or no cab? #282  
What's the drive train in that old John Deere????
A lot of the guy's that have the old JD"S say they
are great but what company really made the tractor???

willy
Depends which one you are talking about. Dad’s old John Deere model M, that my grandad bought new in 1950, has a 2-cylinder “made in USA” engine.

His 770 JD CUT has a “made in Japan” Yanmar and I’m thinking the whole machine was made “over there” by that company based on the cramped operators platform that really does not seem to be designed for your typical, average sized American. I have absolutely no complaints on that tractor’s power train, which has been flawless since the mid 1980’s. John Deere deserves high marks for continuing to use those engines on their tractors, while taking control over the rest of the parts, and getting them “properly sized”.

Truthfully though, the old Model M (designed by Americans in the late 1940’s) is nearly as cramped and considerably more difficult to get on and off of. Back then, JD was a “lesser brand” and played third fiddle at best to IH and Ford. Grandad bought the M because it was cheaper than those other (2), which he had not the financial means to afford.

My own personal first tractor was a “one owner” 1951 Ford model 8N, which I bought from the widow of one of the most financially “well-off” guys in our town, back in those days. To this day, I’ve not operated a tractor that was easier to get on and off (from either side), or had a significantly more comfortable operators platform.

The only John Deere CUT, that I have purchased new, is a 2004 model 4120. That one has a pre tier 4, 4-cylinder “made in America” JD Powertech engine. Other than needing a new starter, that one has been flawless over the last 19 years and 1300 hours.

When it comes to “luck” with tractors, and everything else for that matter, no one will ever convince me that there is such a thing. You get stuff right with God, and He will take care of you. Everything works out Just exactly as He intends it to. Trust in Him and every breakdown you have will teach you a valuable lesson. That’s what I believe and I am sticking to it.

I’m hoping He allows my current little red tractor to treat me better than my last one. My green ones and that old grey Ford 8n have always treated me well. Besides my first red one, I have been underserved by an American orange tractor and by another newer Ford, all of which have been cut from the herd. Hopefully the next owners will have a little more “luck” with them.

I sold my last Farmall Cub to a friend and it has been working ok for him. Thankfully, he is a pretty good mechanic as is his retired father, who has “specialized” in Farmall Cubs, as almost a second career.

I’m certain they will get many of hours of tinkering on that old, worn out Cub over the coming years. Last I knew, they still don’t have the botched 12 volt conversion on it charging properly but he starts all his tractors with a jump pack anyhow.

I sold him the tractor, with a snowplow, and a full set of cultivators, for $750. It had a like-new set of loaded R1 tires and like new rims on back, which were worth at least that much by themselves. The cultivators were worth another $ 300 minimum.

Arrow, I hope your “luck” improves. Here are three little tips you might try to help make that happen: 1) Get yourself a Bible and read it regularly 2) Treat others as you would like to be treated, and do good stuff for them, expecting nothing in return 3) Join a local church and attend as often as you can.

Last edited:
   / Cab or no cab? #283  
Apparently unless those others are from Asian countries? Maybe focus on the plank in your own eye before worrying about the splinter in mine.

/ Cab or no cab? #284  
Apparently unless those others are from Asian countries? Maybe focus on the plank in your own eye before worrying about the splinter in mine.
I’ll keep praying for you Torvy. It sounds like you know a bit about the Bible, but it also sounds like you have some issues, as is evidenced by your continuing
personal attacks upon me (and calling me a racist in a prior post). I had to look up what “xenophobic” meant. As I mentioned in my previous response to you, I love all people, and that includes those from Asia.

/ Cab or no cab? #285  
I think the world would be a better place if everyone looked up all the places in the Bible it says the phrase “One Another“ and do that! Start with Ephesians 4:32

/ Cab or no cab? #286  
Congrats on the new tractor.

For me, I enjoy the open station, and it works better in the trees. Would have broken many glass enclosures through the years working around the property if I had a cab.

I too am in North Florida, and the reason I live here is the nice weather. With the exception of two months in the middle of summer, tractor weather is all year. And even then, I can start early and finish by 10 to 11 and beat most of the heat.

I am not making a living with my tractor though. I have farmed (dairy) in a cold climate and the cab was 100% necessary as we had to get the work done rain or shine, snow or ice. Now, I like being out in the elements and if the elements are too bad, I wait for when the elements are not.

/ Cab or no cab? #287  
A lot of guys that have the old JD"s says there great thinking its made by JD but it's actually made by Yanmar. But JD get's the
credit. Yanmar is the only tractor on the market that has a 10
year drive train warranty. Also I have heard from some that the
Yanmar drive train is bullet proof. Some times what a tractor
has a break down owner response its a piece of crap! Should
have never purchase it! But what they don't stop to think about
is the part that failed perhaps came from another manufacture and
its not considered and they keep ranting the tractor is crap. Tractor manuacturer's don't make all the parts that are used to
produce the tractor. Also electrical parts are probably the worse
thinks that can fail. If more people would stop and think who
made the part and put the blame on them instead of TRACTOR
IS JUST PURE CRAP DON'T PURCHASE THIS TYPE OF JUNK!
I remember something about bolts I think they were suppose to be number 8's made in china but the quality was less than a
grade 5????

willy

/ Cab or no cab? #288  
OP: haven't read all responses. my take is you already know answer to question that you 1st asked. you want a cab, & for good reason as all replies seem to mention. your enviro challenges are excessive heat, humidity, & insects given your location. so go for it.
i do love my open station, & how easily i dismount in all the utility tasks. each to his own,
i don't make my living with a tractor & can easily brave the elements in my utility tasks while enjoying the open sky, regards

/ Cab or no cab? #289  
Arrow, I hope your “luck” improves. Here are three little tips you might try to help make that happen: 1) Get yourself a Bible and read it regularly 2) Treat others as you would like to be treated, and do good stuff for them, expecting nothing in return 3) Join a local church and attend as often as you can.
Well, I was trying to do good stuff for you and I got "nuthin" so I'm happy to live up to that part.
May you do more than pray if your appendix burst...
Must be true that "God works in mysterious ways".

Last edited:
   / Cab or no cab? #290  
A lot of guys that have the old JD"s says there great thinking its made by JD but it's actually made by Yanmar.

willy

I think your definition of an "old" John Deere and mine are different. To me an "old" John Deere is one like me...made over 60 years ago!