Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #11  
I noticed the OP states towing with his Escape, what does the manual state for the Escape's tow rating and trailer brake requirements? I had an older Jeep Cherokee that stated anything over 2000lbs required trailer brakes.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer
Most 3500 lb axles have the flange for brakes on them, even if it didn't come with brakes from the factory. You don't need the manufacturer to add brakes. If you have basic mechanical skills and auto electrical (as in, you're capable of changing oil and are familiar with righty tighty, lefty loosy and which terminal to connect a jumper cable to) you can install the brakes yourself.
My problem is getting it recognized as legal 3,500 GVWR for legal rating.
I noticed the OP states towing with his Escape, what does the manual state for the Escape's tow rating and trailer brake requirements? I had an older Jeep Cherokee that stated anything over 2000lbs required trailer brakes.
Tow rating is 3.5K. 2019 Escape Titanium w/ 2.0l.
Brakes are generally required above 3,000 lbs I think, and I'd want brakes.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #13  
My problem is getting it recognized as legal 3,500 GVWR for legal rating.
Not sure how it works in your state. I've licensed over a dozen different trailers in three states and in all cases I told them what the GVW is. They don't check. Besides that, unless you have an obviously unsafe load, trailers that size don't get stopped and weighed.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #14  
What is your goal? Is there any reason for a 3.5K trailer rather than a heavier duty trailer? 7K?

I'm a big fan of tandem axle trailers (and now experimenting with a triple). Blow a tire and you can safely get to the side of the road, or a place to change the tire.

If towing weight is a concern, look at some of the aluminum trailers.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #16  
Prices seem to have settled down a bit.
Once again I'm looking for a trailer with an honest 3.5K rating for towing behind my Escape.
Keep turning up trailers called 3500 but with only a 2,990 rating.
Any pointers to ones with actual 3,500 ratings?
The only difference between the 2,990 and 3,500 pounds is brakes. None on the 2,990 trailer.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #17  
What is your goal? Is there any reason for a 3.5K trailer rather than a heavier duty trailer? 7K?

I'm a big fan of tandem axle trailers (and now experimenting with a triple). Blow a tire and you can safely get to the side of the road, or a place to change the tire.

If towing weight is a concern, look at some of the aluminum trailers.
His vehicle has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. Probably doesn't want to use up half of that before he puts a load on.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer
His vehicle has a towing capacity of 3500 lbs. Probably doesn't want to use up half of that before he puts a load on.
Also my son who, lives 3 miles from me, has a Toyota minivan w/ a 3.5K GVWR.
And I have a 10K enclosed trailer and a 12K equipment trailer already.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #19  
GVW is the key item of this conversation. The tow vehicle is rated for 3.5K GVW. That means the trailer weight and load. All is good till it isn't. If you were to have a trailer that could haul 3.5K, you'd be over the tow vehicle specs. So you'd have a trailer that weighed 1500lbs and could carry 3.5K for a GVW of 5K. If it went sideways, a lawyer would make it your fault even if it wasn't! You'd be over loaded with that setup and be on the hook for a lot of items. Even a 3.5K trailer that happens to be over loaded and things go sideways, still your fault. Just want to bring this to your attention before things go south. JM2C.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #20  
I like to stay far, far below max. Having a load close to vehicle max is not fun not good for a long life.