Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #1  

newbury

Super Star Member
Tractor
Kubota's - B7610, M4700
Prices seem to have settled down a bit.
Once again I'm looking for a trailer with an honest 3.5K rating for towing behind my Escape.
Keep turning up trailers called 3500 but with only a 2,990 rating.
Any pointers to ones with actual 3,500 ratings?

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #2  
I had a trailer made by “NNT“ with a 3500LB rating
North Newton Trailer
Believe they were made in PA. Don’t know if they are still around.
It was an excellent trailer and reasonable price, too

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #3  
The sprung weight of the trailer has to be deducted from the axle rating. Axles come in 3500 & 5000 ratings. You won't find a trailer with a 3500# axle rated to carry a 3500# load. You may, with much searching, find a single 5000# axle trailer rated to carry a ~4400# load

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #5  
Prices seem to have settled down a bit.
Once again I'm looking for a trailer with an honest 3.5K rating for towing behind my Escape.
Keep turning up trailers called 3500 but with only a 2,990 rating.
Any pointers to ones with actual 3,500 ratings?
I think manufacturers de-rate those trailers to avoid braking requirements. Most states require brakes on trailers over 3000#.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #6  
We have been reasonably happy with our do-little trailer. Its in your weight class and I do have a review of it somewhere here.. No brakes.
trailer0820.jpg

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #7  
The de-rating might also be due to putting lower load-rated tires on them.
I've got a 10k rated tandem trailer with 12k axles/hubs/brakes but is de-rated for the 15" tires that it came with.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #8  
I have a 3500lb rated trailer.

The 3500lb-axle trailer is usually derated to 2990 or so to avoid the legal requirement for electric brakes.

I had the local mfg add brakes to their 2990 trailer and rate it for 3500. Very simple.

Bruce

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer
I have a 3500lb rated trailer.

The 3500lb-axle trailer is usually derated to 2990 or so to avoid the legal requirement for electric brakes.

I had the local mfg add brakes to their 2990 trailer and rate it for 3500. Very simple.

Bruce
Thanks,
That's what I suspected. But I don't have a "local mfg" in the DC area to deal with. I might try that when I get to Mississippi, but I need the trailer to haul "stuff" to Ms.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #10  
Thanks,
That's what I suspected. But I don't have a "local mfg" in the DC area to deal with. I might try that when I get to Mississippi, but I need the trailer to haul "stuff" to Ms.
Most 3500 lb axles have the flange for brakes on them, even if it didn't come with brakes from the factory. You don't need the manufacturer to add brakes. If you have basic mechanical skills and auto electrical (as in, you're capable of changing oil and are familiar with righty tighty, lefty loosy and which terminal to connect a jumper cable to) you can install the brakes yourself.