Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer
Again, you don't need to have the manufacturer do that. You can, if you can find one that'll do it, but it's very easy to do yourself.
Being easy to do and getting it validated by authorities are two different things.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #32  
Being easy to do and getting it validated by authorities are two different things.
What gave you the idea that they going to pay any attention to that? When did they start inspecting brakes or even checking to see if brakes existed, on little single axle trailers? There is no validation by authorities for that sort of thing. They don't check.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #33  
What gave you the idea that they going to pay any attention to that? When did they start inspecting brakes or even checking to see if brakes existed, on little single axle trailers? There is no validation by authorities for that sort of thing. They don't check.
It might happen if there is an accident review. Some times lawyers like to get involved.

I guess I was just brought up wrong and taught to follow the law.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #35  
I guess I was just brought up wrong and taught to follow the law.
I'm not advocating violating the law. In all of the states where I've had trailers registered(three of them, including VA), the only information that the state wants about small trailers is the empty weight and the color. That's it. They don't ask about or check for brakes and they certainly don't have any objection to you installing brakes on a trailer that didn't originally have them. All I'm suggesting here is that you don't need to find a manufacturer that will install brakes on a trailer. You can do it yourself in an hour or so. There's nothing about that that violates any law and there's nothing about the manufacturer installing the brakes that would change anything, legally.

Last edited:
   / Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #36  
It might happen if there is an accident review. Some times lawyers like to get involved.
What might happen? The law does not specify who can legally install brakes on a trailer. Do you really think a court is going to have a problem with someone installing brakes on a trailer that didn't have them?

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #37  
GVW is the key item of this conversation. The tow vehicle is rated for 3.5K GVW. That means the trailer weight and load. All is good till it isn't. If you were to have a trailer that could haul 3.5K, you'd be over the tow vehicle specs. So you'd have a trailer that weighed 1500lbs and could carry 3.5K for a GVW of 5K. If it went sideways, a lawyer would make it your fault even if it wasn't! You'd be over loaded with that setup and be on the hook for a lot of items. Even a 3.5K trailer that happens to be over loaded and things go sideways, still your fault. Just want to bring this to your attention before things go south. JM2C.
Do things ever go North???

Sorry, couldn’t resist…

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #38  
Looks like the OP is in VA, so probably registering the trailer there. Inspection is needed if the trailer has brakes. Maybe ask State Patrol what established the gross weight.

1705524321613.png

And:

Bruce

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #39  
Looks like the OP is in VA, so probably registering the trailer there. Inspection is needed if the trailer has brakes. Maybe ask State Patrol what established the gross weight.

View attachment 847217

Bruce
There you go. So much better than guessing. (y)

And yes in Virginia they test the brakes. I had one dufus flunk me on a state inspection because he fiddled with my brake controller and turned it off.
But he was one of those "I KNOW EVERYTHING" people.

I brought it back the next day, having done NOTHING to it (except set the brake controller back), got a different inspector and it passed fine.