Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer
GVW is the key item of this conversation. The tow vehicle is rated for 3.5K GVW. That means the trailer weight and load. All is good till it isn't. If you were to have a trailer that could haul 3.5K, you'd be over the tow vehicle specs. So you'd have a trailer that weighed 1500lbs and could carry 3.5K for a GVW of 5K. If it went sideways, a lawyer would make it your fault even if it wasn't! You'd be over loaded with that setup and be on the hook for a lot of items. Even a 3.5K trailer that happens to be over loaded and things go sideways, still your fault. Just want to bring this to your attention before things go south. JM2C.
One of us has it wrong -
I'm looking for a trailer that is rated at 3,500 GVWR (as stated in the thread title).
It is the maximum loaded weight of your vehicle (or trailer), as determined by the manufacturer. GVWR isn't just the weight of passengers and cargo but also the vehicle itself.
That means a trailer and cargo must be 3,500 or less.
Like others have wrote there is often a limit of 3K for trailers where above that one needs brakes.
The trailer (unless I get Aluminum) will probably weigh about 1200 lbs. So if it has a 2,990 GVWR that would let me carry about 1,790 lbs. Addition of brakes and upping GVWR to 3,490 lbs. will increase my legal carrying capacity by about 500 lbs. That's about a 27% increase, plus in my view a lot safer with brakes.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #22  
The aluminum trailers in general will give you the lightest weight trailer for a given towing capacity

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #23  
Are you going to load your Escape to the max inside as well? That is, are you planning to lay the seats down and load the interior too? The last time we had to move stuff state-to-state, we loaded the interior of the SUV to the headliner. I had a cargo carrier on the roof but those don't really give you much weight capacity -- just gets some bulky light stuff out of the way.

I added one of those cargo carry-all racks that attach to the hitch receiver. It was heavy-duty and rated for 500#. Loaded it up too. This worked really well without the concerns related to towing, backing, who is driving, etc -- handled just fine. By the time we piled that vehicle up like it was a pack-mule, I don't really think we would have had much tow capacity left anyway.

When we needed to haul more, we took a truck and a bigger trailer.

Just wondering if you're planning to haul stuff INSIDE the car too. That reduces your combined vehicle weight rating really fast. I have an older Escape. Would not be interested in trying to pull a trailer with it, despite the fact that it's "possible" to do so.

What does the extra 500# on the trailer weight rating get you? Are you planning to put this thing on a scale and load it till you're at 3499 pounds?

Now, back to your search -- I'd be looking for an aluminum trailer, as others have said. That's the only way you're going to have any significant capacity left. Also don't ignore trailers that have surge brakes. Sometimes people don't even realize their trailer has surge brakes since they don't require wiring and they'll advertise them as NOT having brakes.

Good luck.

The aluminum trailers in general will give you the lightest weight trailer for a given towing capacity
Again there are tradeoffs
Al - more expensive, more reports of problems with frame cracking, bad welds.

What does the extra 500# on the trailer weight rating get you? Are you planning to put this thing on a scale and load it till you're at 3499 pounds?
Sometimes I or my son would use the trailer to haul mulch or small loads of stone. This would be weighed and transported of about 5 miles. But a great savings over the big box stores.
But really why the heck do you care?
I've got my reasons.
I have a 3500lb rated trailer.

The 3500lb-axle trailer is usually derated to 2990 or so to avoid the legal requirement for electric brakes.

I had the local mfg add brakes to their 2990 trailer and rate it for 3500. Very simple.

Bruce
Bruce seems to have the most elegant solution, I'll just need to get to where there are some local mfg. with reasonable prices. Right now it seems there is about a $500 price difference between what I can get in Mississippi versus Northern Virginia for the same spec trailer.

Last edited:
   / Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #26  
Sometimes I or my son would use the trailer to haul mulch or small loads of stone. This would be weighed and transported of about 5 miles. But a great savings over the big box stores.
But really why the heck do you care?
I've got my reasons.

I don't "care".

You started this conversation. I'm just trying to understand what we're talking about or trying to do.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #27  
The talk of brakes... If you mean electric trailer brakes, you will need a brake controller and a 7-pin connector. Do you have those on your Escape? I would guess not. Now if you are talking surge brakes, then this is not an issue.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #28  
Thanks,
That's what I suspected. But I don't have a "local mfg" in the DC area to deal with. I might try that when I get to Mississippi, but I need the trailer to haul "stuff" to Ms.
Theres Appalachian trailer in PA. They where quite the drive from me but saved me $1k on a $5k trailer. They may also build you a trailer with a specific axle.

For instance I would want a trailer thst size with brakes. I built one. It's a 3500lb axle with brakes under a 6.5x12' trailer. Very nice to tow even though I'm towing with a 2500 suburban. Brakes are nice.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #29  
My Cargo Mate aluminum utility trailer weighs 800 lb. It has no brakes and is rated at 2990. The ramp on the back it very light and I can pick it up with one hand easy.

/ Looking again for a 3,500 GVWR utility trailer #30  
Bruce seems to have the most elegant solution, I'll just need to get to where there are some local mfg. with reasonable prices. Right now it seems there is about a $500 price difference between what I can get in Mississippi versus Northern Virginia for the same spec trailer.
Again, you don't need to have the manufacturer do that. You can, if you can find one that'll do it, but it's very easy to do yourself.