New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait?

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #71  
I think you can add Jakes to the Cummins diesels.

Honestly, todays exhaust brakes combined with transmission downshift management are incredible. My 2020 Cummins will slow 45,000lbs down without using the brakes except for the final 10MPH to a stop. And they are very quiet.

It’s routine for brakes to last 100,000 miles and more now on the newer trucks.
I completely agree with you on the capabilities of the current generation of transmissions. Just amazing performance.

Thanks for the Cummins tip. I checked Ram's build pages and I don't see the Jacobs engine brake option listed on their site, is it a hidden dealer specified option or is it on every Cummins in addition to the turbocharger AGV braking? I do know that their variable gate turbo design does provide some engine braking assistance when it decides to turn on. I see that it gets good reviews in its Auto mode.

To @34Willys point, Cummins does list a Jacobs brake that can be used in addition to the stock AGV brake. Yes, very different in hardware, and, I think, different in the impact on the engine.

All the best,

Peter

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait?
It’s routine for brakes to last 100,000 miles and more now on the newer trucks.
My GMC 2500HD had its first brake job at 140,000 miles. Even with my history of towing. Definitely from having an exhaust brake, which was factory on the 2011 model.

When I test drove the 2011 GMC I didn't know such a feature was available. But .... there it was!

I'm kicking around what was suggested above-- changing out the "moving parts" for better reliability but pressing forward with adding more miles.

It was suggested that changing the "moving parts" would be cheaper. As long as you don't count my wife getting in and out of the passenger side as a moving part. Changing her out would get costly-- maybe fleet or dealership levels of trucks. 😀

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait?
Checked a Ford dealer in Reno NV. They are adding a $5,000 premium above MSRP even for a gas engine.

$82,600 and its not even a King Ranch.

My how things have changed since I bought a truck ...

Attachments

• F250.jpg
    F250.jpg
    291.7 KB · Views: 31
   / New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #74  
A buddy of mine just bought a new F250 diesel... For about $100k... Yeah, he makes about $250k per year, but so do I, and I cannot fathom dropping that coin on a vehicle unless that vehicle makes me money. Substantial money.

I guess this is why I can retire at 48, and most people, even high earners, can't. I can't get the dairy farm mindset out of me.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #75  
I completely agree with you on the capabilities of the current generation of transmissions. Just amazing performance.

Thanks for the Cummins tip. I checked Ram's build pages and I don't see the Jacobs engine brake option listed on their site, is it a hidden dealer specified option or is it on every Cummins in addition to the turbocharger AGV braking? I do know that their variable gate turbo design does provide some engine braking assistance when it decides to turn on. I see that it gets good reviews in its Auto mode.

To @34Willys point, Cummins does list a Jacobs brake that can be used in addition to the stock AGV brake. Yes, very different in hardware, and, I think, different in the impact on the engine.

All the best,

Peter

I should have been more clear. Aftermarket add on. No pickups have a factory Jacobs brake.
The turbo exhaust brake on mine is much more effective in “full” mode than “auto” mode.

Last edited:
   / New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #76  
Can you suggest particular diesel engines for pickups that have Jake brakes? I looked a decade ago did not find any that were factory.

Peter
I believe that all 3 (Ram, Ford and GM) provide exhaust brakes in their newer diesel pickups so it doesn't matter which brand you choose. Not sure whether the exhaust brake is standard equipment or an option. From what I've been reading they are very effective.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #77  
I believe that all 3 (Ram, Ford and GM) provide exhaust brakes in their newer diesel pickups so it doesn't matter which brand you choose. Not sure whether the exhaust brake is standard equipment or an option. From what I've been reading they are very effective.
Mine has the 2 settings “full” and “auto”. It’s basically a 2 stage exhaust brake “auto” being less brakes and “full” being more severe braking.
Couple guys I know that have older trucks said they ran theirs on “full” all the time. I followed their advice and run mine on full all the time too when towing. Service brakes barely get used.

When empty, I will run auto or full depending on how much stop & go there is.

My IH-7500 has a 3 stage braking set up where the exhaust brake is linked to the Allison transmission. The higher the stage number on the exhaust brake you chose, the more rapidly the truck downshifts as soon as you start slowing down.

A Jacobs brake is an internal engine brake system.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #78  
I dont think the b series cummins for trucks ever had a jake brake. The 8.3 maybe but that only came in medium duty trucks and up

Imho with modern trucks. You either keep an old one and work on it. Or buy new and keep em in warranty

I dont drive it regularly but I plan to keep my 06 ram till diesel isnt available at the pump or I die.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #79  
A buddy of mine just bought a new F250 diesel... For about $100k... Yeah, he makes about $250k per year, but so do I, and I cannot fathom dropping that coin on a vehicle unless that vehicle makes me money. Substantial money.

I guess this is why I can retire at 48, and most people, even high earners, can't. I can't get the dairy farm mindset out of me.

Retire at 48? You must not have kids and have a wife earning money.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #80  
Retire at 48? You must not have kids and have a wife earning money.
2 kids. One is through college, the younger is 14 and in college, which we have already funded. Wife hasn’t worked outside the home in 20 years, but just got into real estate… so yes she will be working outside the home soon.

Our retirement savings are already saved. College is paid for. No debt whatsoever. So we are really just living life until I’m 60 and can reap the reward of those savings. We would be in a different position had we not been good stewards of what we were blessed with.