New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait?

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #91  
   / New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #92  
   / New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #93  
CA's current laws will stop sales of new internal combustion cars and light trucks (what CA calls a pickup) in 2035. Medium and heavy trucks in 2026. There's no mention of taking existing IC cars and light trucks off the road in the current law. Things can change but once they make laws like that they don't move the timeline up. Sometimes they move it back if manufacturers are not ready.

For a while manufacturers were making two versions of many vehicles- a CA compliant one and a 49 state one. That's stopped in motorcycles and cars, and likely diesel pickups. They're all CA compliant. CA regs are no longer as different, there are a number of other states that have adopted CA regs, and manufacturers hate supporting two versions of a product. The emissions sticker under the hood will say if it meets CA emissions.

There may be good tax reasons for buying out of state rather than CA. Someone who lives both in CA and out of state will already be familiar with the tax issues. If you can keep it registered out of state without getting hassled by anyone it's probably cheaper.

New truck prices are really high now and the manufacturers are trying to hang on to those prices as long as they can. If you try to wait them out you may be waiting a while. I've been looking for a new or new to me truck for a while. The good thing is that the value of my current truck is hardly lower than what I bought it for six years ago.
They are blocking registration on some now... rancher was only able to renew his old diesel flatbed for farm use and it was not automatic but he can operate it legal where he needs to be

Non compliant big rigs already sent out if state and no longer allowed at the container terminals.

Husband and wife closed their excuvator business because it was not worth repowering...

The regs are real and all freeways and some secondary roads into California already have AG inspection stations... how much of a stretch would it be to limit vehicle entry?

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #94  
That's a good question for him. Here is another.
How did he manage to pay in "100’s of thousands" to social security?

This year, the the Social Security wage base limit is $168,600. And at 6.2% comes to $10,453.
My guess is self employed paying in for decades...

My retired contractor friend opened his business at 19... always self employed with a good business and retired at age 70...

He said the dollars paid in at the max for many of his 50 years are staggering...

Last edited:
   / New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #95  
There is a reason pensions went away.

However I'm curious how a pension that stopped funding at 51 can keep up with inflation in '24? I'm an actuary, so I like to hear real life feedback on the old system to see if it keeps up with the times, or does a market based approach win out. Certainly the numbers from the stock market (401K) over the past 20 years far outpace bond returns (pensions).
Oakland Police grandfather pension plan is based on what the rank you retired at is currently paid including typical OT.

There are OPD officers retired in their 50's receiving OPD pensions of 250% or more than they ever earned on the job

A good friend retired 13 years ago OPD and starting pension 15k per month plus lifetime medical.

He got bored and is building another LEO pension in a different plan...

Strange but there are public safety retired in the SF Bay Area with 250k pensions and then they move to Idaho and buy 100k trucks without batting an eye.

Last edited:
   / New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #96  
My Dad retired Motorcycle Policeman. Traffic beat first on the Harleys, then Kawasakis, then got into SWAT and Undercover Drug busting. Loved his job and our community!
Most of his Fireman and Policeman buddies took their pensions and moved to Idaho. This was in the 70's - 80's. Salaries and pensions weren't that great back then.
Take the money and run.
It's not a new trend.
Patrick

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #97  
Just about every retired officer I know has a top of the line pickup…

Back in the 60’s and 70’s you couldn’t even think of starting a family until you made rank… my how things have changed.

I’ve done some long distance towing over the mountains and by far the diesel trucks were the best.

Crossing the Siskiyous on 5 to Oregon on a 800 mile one way run or Nevada over Donner and never touching the brakes or downshifting pulling the grade with a 5k trailer in tow.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #98  
   / New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #99  
Its amazing that the California Communist Party is doing this to its’ citizens, then just over the border in a neighboring state you own/drive what you want, and there’s no emissions inspections.

Look at the picture in my avatar. It couldn’t be more applicable to today’s state of government oppression.

/ New Diesel Truck-- Buy Now, or Wait? #100  
Several of my old car guys now live in either Nevada or Oregon...

California no longer allowed the sale of lacquer and enamel paints so they moved to where it was not an issue.