Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions

/ Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions #41  
I would recommend something like this.

Dad's Wood Splitter - YouTube

This splitter splits both directions. Cyl is below the slide plate pushing the log.

/ Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions #43  
With a movable plate (and fixed wedge) the split wood ends up in a pile the end of the splitter. With a movable wedge and a fixed plate, the wood wnds up falling between you and the wheels.

I would not choose a fixed plate design if I had the choice.

Aaron Z

/ Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions
By "T" style you mean a trunnion mount?

Similar to this one?

Surplus Center - 4.5X24X1.75 DA HYD LOG SPLITTER CYLINDER

Mr. HE:cool:

Sorry for the word usage. I meant a cross tube cylinder like this:

cFortress.jpg

/ Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions #45  
Sorry for the word usage. I meant a cross tube cylinder like this:

cFortress.jpg

Same style I used on mine. I went push plate, pushing into wedge.

/ Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions #46  
If you do a push plate and stationary wedge, you can add a tray behind the wedge that allows the split wood to continue away from the work area. If you do a wedge push plate and stop plate, the split wood will fall off at your feet and need to be continuosly moved before being able to split the next split. If you want to make a splitter that splits vertical as well as horizonal, you will need to use the sliding wedge design. If you want to add a 4 way this can be done on either a slideing wedge or sliding push plate, but an hydraulicly controlled adjustable 4way is easier to do if you use a sliding push plate.

/ Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions #47  
Now we have two choices for the wedge/plate setup. We can push the wedge into the plate, or push the plate into the wedge. Because of the cylinder design and size, to mount a wedge to the cylinder and push into a stationary plate, the wedge would have to be quite wide and long, adding to the weight. It would be easier to have a plate pushed into a stationary wedge.

With that being said, what are the pro's/con's to each design?
You would have to try each way out a bit I think. A pusher plate moves the wood. Thats fine with little stuf that youre only splitting once. With bigger stuf you have to bring it back.
... With the moving wedge the wood is stationary ... it just divides in front of you. With the 1st split, half of the round must be allowed to fall - a partially elevated platform on the opposite side would make it easier to lift back up after splitting its twin. But it actually works fine to carefully let the 1st half fall on your side while holding the other piece on the rail. Then you split small finished pieces from it and toss them straight into a wheelbarrow til its all gone. Then the one at your feet , then the next round, etc. If you have 2 barrows and someone to stack you just keep working. If not you take a stack break after 3 or 4 18" rounds.
larry

/ Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions #48  
Here is my two cents worth, I have only ever used a fixed wedge design splitter until recently that is. I picked up a Huskee vertical/horizontal moving wedge splitter and I'm here to tell you that it is nice not having to chase the wood to split large stuff. Most of what I get is 16" to 40" across. The first thing I did to the Huskee was to add a table to catch the opposite side to cut down on the bending. In the vertical mode, I found a log to sit on and split some of the bigger stuff that was too heavy to lift, worked quite well. I am in the process of building a splitter and I'm going to have a fixed wedge, reason being my brother splits long wood for his OWB. I will have a 4 way. For my own wood, I'm not pressed for time so with the log lift the large rounds won't be too bad. I was going to sell the Huskee when i got mine built but am thinking about keeping it! Good luck.

/ Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions #49  
What could be simpler than the type splitter that I posted above.

The guy is not even working very hard.

/ Log Splitter Question(s)...Two Stage Pump and Situation Specific Questions #50  
JJ, I like the "Dads Splitter". To me he is still handleing the wood to many times. Twisting to pull side ways is one of the best ways to throw out your back. I have been considering using his wedge design on a new blade for my splitter. It will be adjustable up and down and have a vertical knife over and above his box wedge. It will be easy to adapth to my current splitter since my adjustable 4way just slips out of the frame. Not sure how well it will work due to blade twisting, but I think I have enough scrap metal to go ahead and give it a try.