Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #71  
Just discovered this brilliant thread by accident. It may be old but it's good and should be required reading for Deere 5000 owners with similar models.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #72  
I own a 5520 JD. We have recently replaced the forth injector pump and it blew in 30 seconds. I was told 3 things could do this. Bad fuel, putting cold water on a hot engine, and stopped up injectors. Non applied to this tractor. I have put over $12000 in this tractor in the last 3 years and it has only worked about 3 hours. When it is running it sounds and runs great then bang it goes down. I would appreciate any solutions you may have. The local JD had it almost a year and couldn't fix it. Let me add two things: 1. When almost new it fell off a creek bank and was in the water upside down. After all fluids were changed it ran fine for years, 2. My husband replaced the ignition key with a toggle switch, I believe this is when the injector problems began. My husband has alzheimers and is no help.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #73  
You should probably start a new thread with this problem in the heading.

Just a thought but maybe put an ignition switch back in and see what happens. Also, the back of the shop manual has a trouble shooting section that is very thorough. You've probably already been there but you never know. One thing I learned with my 5520 is that there are relationships between some of the coolant switches, starting and temporary timing changes based on outside temperature.

Last edited:
   / Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #74  
I own a 5520 JD. We have recently replaced the forth injector pump and it blew in 30 seconds. I was told 3 things could do this. Bad fuel, putting cold water on a hot engine, and stopped up injectors. Non applied to this tractor. I have put over $12000 in this tractor in the last 3 years and it has only worked about 3 hours. When it is running it sounds and runs great then bang it goes down. I would appreciate any solutions you may have. The local JD had it almost a year and couldn't fix it. Let me add two things: 1. When almost new it fell off a creek bank and was in the water upside down. After all fluids were changed it ran fine for years, 2. My husband replaced the ignition key with a toggle switch, I believe this is when the injector problems began. My husband has alzheimers and is no help.

Welcome to TBN
I agree with sixdogs that you should initiate your own thread with your own thread title. I'm curious as to what actually happens to inj pump?

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #75  
Very informative. Thanks for posting such a detailed solution to the problem. Very helpful.
I have the same type of problems with my 5530 JD. Thanks for the info.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #76  
I have a 5520 John Deere. We are about to replace the fuel injector for the 7th time. I purchased new fuel injectors and will purchase a fuel pump And add it to the line. Diesel will be drained and new used. Will have a full tank. Can you think of anything else we can do before we do the work and try to crank? I have spent about $15000 and this will be my last try. All help is appreciated. My husband has last stage Alzheimer痴 and I just hate to lose all the money we have put in this tractor. He worked so hard for every dime. Thanks.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #77  
Sorry to hear of the continuing problem. Sounds like you are just throwing money at it, without knowing what is wrong. Am sure you are thinking the same thing, and wish it were different.

Three years ago you said you replaced the pump for the 4th time, and now going for the 7th, per your reply/post 11/2017 #72 in this thread. Don't see where you followed the suggestions to start a thread specific to your 5520, that would detail the history (upside down in a pond) and what the steps were to try to get it running again. That may or may not help, but more info is needed.

With that history, and a Deere mechanic working on it, you may consider cutting your losses and put it up for sale as a "non-runner" if you cannot find a mechanic to diagnose the problem and learn what is knocking your injectors out and the fuel pump.

Suspect more detail info is needed to diagnose from what you have said to date.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #78  
Sorry to hear about your tractor & your husband's poor health. Where have you been having your tractor's fuel system repaired. What type fuel storage or where do you get your diesel fuel & do you regularly utilize diesel fuel conditioner? How often has fuel filters been changed? I've owned several diesel tractors since I began custom farming in '87 & have only had 2 inj pumps resealed & no injectors replaced.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #79  
Sorry to hear about your tractor & your husband's poor health. Where have you been having your tractor's fuel system repaired. What type fuel storage or where do you get your diesel fuel & do you regularly utilize diesel fuel conditioner? How often has fuel filters been changed? I've owned several diesel tractors since I began custom farming in '87 & have only had 2 inj pumps resealed & no injectors replaced.

The diesel is stored in a plastic drum. The guy where I bought my injectors has an additive and I will get some. The tractor was gone through completely and ran about an hour before the injector failed. John Deere gave me another one. Right after my husband purchased the tractor a guy that was bush hogging fell in the creek. The tractor was in the water some. They pulled it out and changed all guilds and it ran fine for several years. When the first pump failed it could have been the diesel. He was storing the diesel in a metal drum. My husband replaced the first pump and it failed immediately. John Deere fixed the second pump and after we picked it up it failed immediately. John Deere replaced the pump two more times and both failed. I then carried it to the mechanic and he went completely through the motor and installed the next pump. It ran about one hour before pump failed. I purchased another one and it failed in about 60 seconds. John Deere gave me another one. Now I will have it put in and add the fuel pump and clean fuel and full tank and add additive. John Deere claims it was the creek accident that has caused the problems but it worked for several years. My husband had a hay operation and chicken houses so it got worked everyday. Hope this helps.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #80  
In what way is pump failing? Is head inside pump seizing &/or pump drive shaft breaking. If so I suspect fuel tank & fuel system hasn't been sufficiently cleaned. Creek sand(silt) is very abrasive. When you state ""mechanic went completely through engine"" does that mean installed new pistons/liners? I'm surprised a dealer has replaced """numerous inj pumps""" without trying to determine the problem!!!!