Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #51  
Great thread... I have not had a start up problem with 5320 from looseing prime from sitting. But have had to unplug my cold start after blowing fuse. Every time I drain a lil out of the water separator I have to reprime the system. Did have problems with the manual prime pump,pulled it apart and found it full of aluminium mill shavings. Appeared to not of been cleaned during manufacture got her cleaned up and works like a charm. Have replaced the fuel line after the old line had started cracking and leaking. Thought this to be a little premature with a 3 yr old tractor.

Has anyone found a simple fix other than buying a new $450 gauge cluster when the fuel and temp gauge quit. Right now when the key is turned on the fuel gauge goes to full and temp gauge starts at about 3/4 and pegs out after a few minutes of running. I have replaced the fuel sending unit in the tank no help. Dealer says replace cluster. This seems to of become a common problem also.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #52  
mchildress
Have you checked the cluster ground connection? As many years as JD tractors have been experiencing problems with the "cold start" one would have thought JD engineers would have determined a "fix" for that problem.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #53  
On the fuel gauge I would check the wiring, since touching the 2 wires together causes the gauge to go to full. It might be the wire to the cluster is shorting out against the frame.

Should you elect to purchase a cluster, ask the dealer to program it for you as the cluster comes programmed for 4 cylinders and kit to do the programming last check was $80. FYI, on the new cluster when you turn the key to run all 3 needles move all the way around and back. I think the price now is about $538.

To be on the safe side always disconnect the negative battery ground, if you are going to be working on electrical things. I disconnect the cable from the negative side at where it connects to the frame as it is a lot easier then taking it off the battery.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #54  
Great Thread!!!

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #55  
Hi Thanks , Ive just joined this group and found with my , john deere 5520 that there was no start up due to no power going to starter switch , traced to the fuse box , power going in to box , but no power coming out at starter switch side , checked all fuses and relays all ok , but still no power from fuse/ relay box , which is located at the left window in cab , I have since drawn a blank on what to do , the box may have ashort internally , but cant seem to break in to , hope someone can help?

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #56  
Is trans in neutral & pto in off position?

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #57  
The 5X10 and 5X20 are very close in the area of electronics. I have attached a picture of the 5X10 startup and you have to determine how close.

What is it you are calling the start switch? Is it the starter relay or something else? If it is the starter relay most likely TX Jim has provided you the answer.

If you go to JDparts.com and look at the parts catalog (selection on left side of screen) it will help you locate the two safety switches TX Jim spoke of.

Attachments

• startsys3.jpg
    startsys3.jpg
    107 KB · Views: 1,156
   / Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #58  
Great thread as my 5210 want start today. When I get time I will try the fixes listed above. I have 1900 hours on the tractor without any problems and didn't realize all these issue until I read here. Thanks for the information.

Today:
I took the primer button/filter housing canister off, cleaned it good, replaced the filter and the hosing had a lot of crude in the top. I then checked the No. 2 fuse under the steering wheel and it was blown. I unplugged the cold start sensor, replaced the fuse and it started immediately. I had washed the radiator out good form bush hogging and this may have caused the fuse to blow. I will plug the cold start sensor above the injector pump back up and if it blows a fuse again then replace it. Thanks for all the help this saved me lots of trouble, time and money.

Last edited:
   / Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #59  
Any chance of you emailing a copy of 54399 to me? I like pictures.

/ Fixing Startup Problems with JD 5220, 5320, 5420, 5520 #60  
I like the prime bulb idea, where did you put it?