Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #11  
I have seen this before. My old 861 and my neighbors 961 Ford's have huge openings also.

Chris

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #12  
x2, But the way I see it is if you learn from the mistake, the mistake doesn't count.

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #13  
I wish my prostate worked that well! LOL

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #14  
I bought one of those big tubs at Home Depot that are used for mixing bags of concrete. It's maybe 2' by 3' and holds a lot. It's big enough that I rarely spill even a drop, regardless of circumstance. I think this is the one: Large Mixing Tub-887102A at The Home Depot

They make a thicker one and a thinner one and you want the thicker one. It will hold more than you can handle so I limit to maybe 4 gallons and then funnel into a 5 gallon bucket. What drove me to this was a disaster of changing the gear oil on a high clearance Case-IH tractor and I managed to spill a couple gallons over me, the floor and most things in sight.

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB
I was surprised by the oil flow, but also surprised on this tractor that the engine oil change interval is 500 hours. Sure, it holds three gallons of oil, but I would have expected it to be 300 hours instead of 500. I guess the low rpm engine and big filter go a long way to keep oil working and its detergent keeping contaminants suspended. That darn oil sure was dirty, darker than any diesel oil I've ever seen. I change the oil in my Cummins diesel in my pickup every 6000 miles. That equates to about 200 hours if you consider my average speed day-to-day is 30 mph. I've been told I could go as high as 12k to 14k miles by a fellow who had his oil tested, but I just start feeling really bad at 6,000 miles. It sure does not make sense on a 3 gallon system to change it every 3,000 miles. The oil change guys would love you.:)

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #16  
I was surprised by the oil flow, but also surprised on this tractor that the engine oil change interval is 500 hours. Sure, it holds three gallons of oil, but I would have expected it to be 300 hours instead of 500. I guess the low rpm engine and big filter go a long way to keep oil working and its detergent keeping contaminants suspended. That darn oil sure was dirty, darker than any diesel oil I've ever seen. I change the oil in my Cummins diesel in my pickup every 6000 miles. That equates to about 200 hours if you consider my average speed day-to-day is 30 mph. I've been told I could go as high as 12k to 14k miles by a fellow who had his oil tested, but I just start feeling really bad at 6,000 miles. It sure does not make sense a 3 gallon system to change it every 3,000 miles. The oil change guys would love you.:)

That 500 hours might be if you use synthetic oil. They might also give you a time limit too.

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #17  
I have one of those food grade used vinegar barrels, they are plastic and about 1/4" thick on the walls. I cut them down with the skill saw to whatever size I need and dump my oil into them. A 2' round hole to dump oil into, I never miss. A 'V' notch in one side and they pour not too badly into a funnel going into a 2 gallon jug for disposal. I don't mind getting oil on my hands, so I just go fishing for the plug if I happen to drop it into the pan.

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #18  
Be glad the oil came out when you WANTED it to. I have a less than mechanical and maintenance oriented friend that had his drain plug FALL out while bush hogging on the MF 165 diesel. The engine is shot. The most important thing is putting it back in properly!!!! and of course putting in the oil. I asked my friend who changed the oil in his machine last??? Answer: "Uh, I don't know."

/ Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #19  
I own a New Holland LB75.B TLB with a 95 hp turbo-charged Iveco engine. The Operator's Manual calls for an engine oil and filter change every 500 hours. The engine holds three gallons of oil and the filter a quart, So that works out to a bit over 3 gallons with filter change.

I purchased the oil, filter, and a brand new 6-gallon drain tub for the job. After greasing all the zerk fittings on the underside of the tractor, I moved to oil change. The engine drain is a big hex-wrench plug about 1-1/4" in diameter. I figured it would be like my Cummins Diesel in my truck with a wide flange and a small opening. As I loosened the plug the last round and removed it, I immediately knew I had made a big error in judgement. The hole is about 1" in diameter and oil came gushing out like a geyser.:shocked: I realized too late that my engine oil tub's opening was way too small (about 1/2"). There was no way I was gonna catch all that oil. It filled the top of the tub and came spilling out on my cardboard creeper and made a quick path in my direction. I quickly scooted out from under the tractor and only got one arm and one sleeve on my t-shirt partially soaked. Some oil spilled onto the ground, but luckily, most was caught by the cardboard as the gusher quickly came to an end.

I sat there feeling really dumb because I could easily have drained that oil into a 5-gallon container and then transferred it to my oil barrel. Instead, I made a real mess. After getting the oil cleaned up, everything else went normally. I don't know if other engines are like this, but this was the first time I found a drain plug that flowed such a big stream. Wow!:confused2:

I learned a similar lesson with my Cummins. I went the the Auto parts store and bought everything I needed to change the oil. I even got a big enough pan to catch all the oil. Then drove home and got started on the oilchange. I threw the pan under the truck. Now keep in mind this truck is 4wd WITH 6" of lift AND 37" tall tires. I broke the drain plug loose and set the ratchet aside. I was laying in front of/over the front axle. As I pulled the plug out the last thread I dropped it because it was HOT! the pan was one of the ones with the built in funnels with a plug in the middle and a vent was being that the oil was warm(O.K. it was HOT!) it was coming out rather quickly(M14 threaded plug), hitting the pan and splashing UP all over ME and everything within about a 3ft radius! I was jet black from the top of my head to my waist on my left side! And what DID make it into the pan was coming too fast for the vent to keep up and was overflowing. Out of the 3 gallons of oil that the engine held probably 1/2 to 3/4 of it was everywhere BUT in the pan!
THe lesson(s) learned were:
#1 DON"T do it HOT!
#2 put the drain pan on top of something so the oil doesn't have as far to fall to the pan!
#3 modulate the flow WITH the drain plug(SEE RULE #1) so it doesn't overflow the drain pan!

Last edited:
   / Oil Change Surprise - New Holland TLB #20  
You need the oil to be fairly warm, so it will carry all the sludge and crud out of the pan.
I would put the pan on something so the oil doesn't have as far to fall and put up a windbreak of sorts so the wind doesn't get under the truck and help the oil make a mess.
IF you have a magnet on an extension, then chasing the plug in the hot oil isn't so much of a problem. Just let the plug drop into the pan.